Sponsored by:

[Z06] air system removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
260B4U
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default air system removal

ok i'm in the process of removing the air system and installing headers the long pipe that runs from the passenger side to the drivers side what is holding the pipe down behind the motor i cant see squat and i would rather not remove the intake if i dont have to
thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 02:50 PM
BPG
Pro

Originally Posted by 260B4U
ok i'm in the process of removing the air system and installing headers the long pipe that runs from the passenger side to the drivers side what is holding the pipe down behind the motor i cant see squat and i would rather not remove the intake if i dont have to
thanks
holy no punctuation, batman?!

I think this is what you are asking... ?

Each is held onto the exhaust by 2 10mm bolts. Remove them. On the drivers side, the AIR tube immediately connects to a rubber hose. Using a flathead screwdriver, undo the plastic clamp on the rubber hose and remove the AIR tube totally from the engine bay. On the passenger side, this will not be possible.

While on the passenger side of the car, using a 10mm wrench to unbolt the oil dipstick tube from the exhaust manifold and with a firm tug, pull the dipstick tube up and out of the engine bay. Don't lose the dipstick bolt
Old 07-12-2009, 03:06 PM
260B4U
Racer

sorry about the punctuation. and that is kind of what i am asking when i remove the 2 10mm bolts on the passenger side and the 2 10mm bolt on the drivers side, i was able to pull the driver side air tube out with ease. the passenger side the tube travels around the back of the engine and seems to be bolted down or stuck somewhere on the back of the motor. how do i remove the passenger side air tube? are you saying passenger side air system removal is not possible?

Last edited by 260B4U; 07-12-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:18 PM
BPG
Pro

Originally Posted by 260B4U
sorry about the punctuation. and that is kind of what i am asking when i remove the 2 10mm bolts on the passenger side and the 2 10mm bolt on the drivers side, i was able to pull the driver side air tube out with ease. the passenger side the tube travels around the back of the engine and seems to be bolted down or stuck somewhere on the back of the motor. how do i remove the passenger side air tube? are you saying passenger side air system removal is not possible?

hmm... this should help (may not be your brand on LTs, but info should be good)
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=29
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
erics1
Advanced

there is a bolt behind the intake. it doesn't take to long to pull the intake off and put back on. your taking off the air pump and tossing it right. i did also
Old 07-12-2009, 11:53 PM
260B4U
Racer

Originally Posted by erics1
there is a bolt behind the intake. it doesn't take to long to pull the intake off and put back on. your taking off the air pump and tossing it right. i did also
f*.*ing stupid bolt i knew it. yes tossing the air pump
Old 07-14-2009, 11:01 AM
johndeere506
Instructor

Default Bolt and ground wire

FYI, On my car, there is a ground strap/wire on the same bolt so once you take the SAI pipe off, dont forget to tighten it back down with the ground wire back on.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's either a 10mm or a 13mm bolt holding the rear arc of the AIR tube on to the back of the intake manifold. There may also be a ground strap on the same bolt. I think I was able to reach behind it, blind, and get it removed with a small socket when I pulled my exhaust manifolds last time.

If you're going to junk the AIR system totally, you could just cut the tube with shears on either side of the bolt... But that would look tacky.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Just cut off the passengers side as short as you can and stick a rubber plug over it for now. Someday when you remove the intake you can mess with that damn little bolt then. It takes a mid length 13mm socket and a double jointed, anorexic pigmy to reach it.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:02 PM
froman
Racer

^^ haha. I'm, trying to get this ****ing bolt right now and i keep dropping sockets into the chasm of doom right behind it. They're not hitting the floor either.. another trip to oreillys is in the near future.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:19 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Its a 13mm and if you pull the intake you can get it with an open end wrench pretty easily.

Get notified of new replies

To air system removal

Quick Reply: [Z06] air system removal