Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How important to you is the color of your C5?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 PM
shaX 07
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How important to you is the color of your C5?

I'm shopping for a used C5 and have gone back and forth on color options. I've found good deals on a lot of cars but have hesitated because they weren't my top color choices. I'm looking to spend less than $23k and preferrably less than $19-20k on a vette and am still on the ropes between a coupe or a z06 (not considering a vert).

My top color choices for a coupe would be- Nassau Blue, Magnetic Red, Yellow and White. I don't mind torch red, silver or pewter but those are not my preferred options and I fear I may regret buying one of these colors. I can't stand black, bowling green or navy blue (no offense to anyone, just not what i'm looking for).

For a z06 my tops are Electron Blue, Yellow, White...

I'd like to get some input from those that have either battled with their color choice when shopping, or from those who may have chosen a color they didn't prefer and are either satisfied or dissatisfied with their choice?

I also don't have too much leverage in being color picky because my C5 purchase is dependent upon either selling my truck private sale or trading it in for a C5, so for a trade-in the deal has to be the right offer + the condition, price and mileage of the vette has to be in line.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Well I really am not a fan of the color red. But when I first got a look at my new 2003 50th AE, with the 50th Anni. package I fell in love with the Anniversary Red color ! I still don't like the torch red color, but that's just me. Lots of folks love that color. So it's really up to you, keep looking around.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
YNOT2K
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

color was very important in my decision making process.

i wanted MR II, i searched for MR II, i found MR II, i bought MR II and now i own MR II!

take it easy,

jeff
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
[FONT=" I still don't like the torch red color, but that's just me.[/FONT]
And I thought all corvettes were RED ???????
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

I bought an Arctic White '98 coupe a month ago. It wasn't even close to being my first choice of color, but it was a color I could accept. As I was buying a used vehicle, other factors of the deal were higher priority than color. I quickly grew to love the white; it's positively brilliant in the sun , and that evening I realized how cool a white 'vette looks at night. White will be a preferred color next time I go Corvette shopping. There's other color choices that I don't think I could come to terms with.

My suggestion: decide what set of colors you can live with, and those you couldn't, stick to the decision and don't look back.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:17 PM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette
I bought an Arctic White '98 coupe a month ago. It wasn't even close to being my first choice of color, but it was a color I could accept. As I was buying a used vehicle, other factors of the deal were higher priority than color. I quickly grew to love the white; it's positively brilliant in the sun , and that evening I realized how cool a white 'vette looks at night. White will be a preferred color next time I go Corvette shopping. There's other color choices that I don't think I could come to terms with.

My suggestion: decide what set of colors you can live with, and those you couldn't, stick to the decision and don't look back.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Rotor Head
And I thought all corvettes were RED ???????
They are in spirit, where it counts.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:23 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Color is the first thing you see about a car. Most people are far more likely to be able to tell what color your car is and may not even know that it is a Corvette. Color is just as important to me as many other options on the car. Color is also very expensive to change, so you want to get what you like in the first place.

Try to look at the colors you like in as many different lights as possible -- Bright sun, dusk, cloudy days and maybe even in the rain or at night. The colors you named as your first choices are generally bright, strong colors and they look great on C5s.

If it were me, I would rule out any car that was not in my top 3-4 color choices that you named, because it is much more likely that you will regret it. A different color might 'grow' on you but I wouldn't take that chance.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:25 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would not consider any other color than the color I chose when I bought my first C5. Looking back - while I admire some of the other colors that were available, I had to have what I wanted....otherwise it was a deal breaker.

My philosophy is that no compromise is acceptable when buying your dream car. If you know what you want and it is available, why would you settle for anything less?
Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I've had 3 corvette's over the years. The first 2 cars I settled for a color that wasn't my first choice and I had them about 2 years and then sold them because I lost interest. Corvette # 3, my current one, is a different story. The exact color, interior and options I wanted. I've had it over 3 years and have no intent on selling!

Bottom Line: Don't settle for anything less than exactly what you want! It's out there just look harder!

Old 06-29-2009, 07:05 PM
jol
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Torch Red Corvettes are built with a higher rwhp and 0-60 is approximately .075 seconds quicker. It was the decision of the GM engineers to make Torch Red Vettes quicker.
That said...pick what you like and once you buy it, you'll love it.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
shaX 07
Racer

Originally Posted by jol
Torch Red Corvettes are built with a higher rwhp and 0-60 is approximately .075 seconds quicker. It was the decision of the GM engineers to make Torch Red Vettes quicker.
That said...pick what you like and once you buy it, you'll love it.
Are you serious or is that like a joke?
Old 06-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Color would be one of the primary considerations in buying a vette or any car for that matter. Definitely hold out for one of your favorite colors. In the long-run you will be glad you did.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

I wanted any blue when I was looking. I wound up buying a black one though. Color is important but I was looking for used so how well maintained and its condition was more important.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of my three the black 93 was really nice and pristine, but impossible to keep looking that way; my 93 polo green was a very nice color, shows your hard work from polishing well. And my 01 magnetic red is by far the most awesome color. Really like how the appearance changes with differing light conditions.

There is pewter and silver, pewter being on the earlier year models. I would never have a white vehicle unless it was a vette.

Color is important, it will be with you for the time you own the car.

You didn't mention where you are, location has impact too.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

To me there's colors I absolutely won't own and everything else is fair game. I think it makes it easier to find a nice car without limiting the options to much.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
ieatyllwcryns
Drifting

Color is a HUGE factor for me, black only! dont settle for less than what you want! good luck in the quest

Get notified of new replies

To How important to you is the color of your C5?

Old 06-29-2009, 07:20 PM
shaX 07
Racer

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Of my three the black 93 was really nice and pristine, but impossible to keep looking that way; my 93 polo green was a very nice color, shows your hard work from polishing well. And my 01 magnetic red is by far the most awesome color. Really like how the appearance changes with differing light conditions.

There is pewter and silver, pewter being on the earlier year models. I would never have a white vehicle unless it was a vette.

Color is important, it will be with you for the time you own the car.

You didn't mention where you are, location has impact too.

I'm located in Maine, not sure how color ties into location but i'm open to hear your take on that
Old 06-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

After I decided on a color I wanted it took about a year to find "the right one". It was definitely worth the wait.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
97C5owner
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a silver one and black one. To me- very important. There are certain colors i believe i would i'd get tired of after a while. If you're going to spend that much of your hard earned money- make sure its what you want. Wait for the perfect one. You'll hear that little voice in your head saying "that's the one". Post pics when you find her

Quick Reply: How important to you is the color of your C5?