Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

im having a hard time finding a vette within my budget...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:16 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Found mine on Craigslist,30 miles from my house - 98 Nassau Blue coupe,57k miles,MN6,Corsa Touring Exhaust,Clean Carfax,& various other goodies.
First time I saw it,it was 16.5k,which was about 4k more than I had saved up- I said to myself "well that friggin figures!"and kind of wrote it off.
3 weeks later,I checked Craigslist again,and It was still there,but for 4k less!(at this point,I nearly soiled myself)
Emailed the guy,went and drove it 2 days later,and drove it home that day.
Kinda thought since he hadn't sold it,maybe it was a beater or something,but when I saw it in his driveway(parked between his Hummer and his Lamborghini) I said to myself "if that thing runs as good as it looks,I'm driving it home"--Well,it did,and I did,and the rest is history....
I actually thought I had about a year to go before I would even be to the "seriously looking" stage,and then this deal came out of nowhere.
So keep your eyes open-all the good Vettes aren't a thousand miles away-you might find just what you're looking for right in your own backyard
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 PM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Keep looking you will find one, FSBO a mile away 98 or 99 (coupe, yes I know) but only 59,000 miles in decent shape for $15k OBO. I bet he would take 13,500 you'll find one.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:40 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought my 97 with 80k miles 3 years ago for 14k.

Today the same car could probably be had for less than 10.

Surely you can find an 01 for 18k.

If you truly want a Z, get one. Make sure that you drive both a coupe 6-spd and a Z before you decide.

Keep in mind
1) The HP can easily be upgraded to beyond Z-level for less than $2,000.
2) You might be missing out of you don't get the coupe targa top.
*I really wanted a Z, but I now dig the ride of the coupe with Z51 sway bars (mod) and I like the targa top more than I thought I would. It's like a vert that looks better with the top "up"

Actually you should drive several (even newer) to get a feel for what a solid car should feel like.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:46 PM
eddy20
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend with a coupe/ six speed/ mileage somewhere in the 70s, MY 2000, in you price range in SoCal, excellent condition, corvette nut and STOCK! Always garaged, PM me if interested. Reread your post, sorry not a Z.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 PM
dachevy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteJR
so im FINALLY at the crest of my first vette purchase. ive got a 18k budget(need a loan of course) and for the life of me, cant find a local vette thats either in good condition or priced right. most are overpriced, beaten or auto(sorry auto guys).

id like a 01 Z, but know that my 18k budget isnt very Z friendly. so id like a FRC, or coupe. any color but black or yellow, 6sp. sounds easy right, heck no!

so if you see something that fits lemme know please! looking to buy in the next two months. waiting for my M3 to sell and look to have a serious buyer in the next three weeks.
Your in the Tacoma area? I am considering putting my TR FRC on the market . Let me know if you want to know more about the vette.. It's been adult owned and babied totally...very nice.. dachevy
Old 06-25-2009, 11:55 PM
corvettepete
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '99 coupe in January with 28K miles for $17K. I'm sure it's cheaper now. They're out there. I'm with jedblanks - it's great to have the option of taking the targa top off. Was out driving earlier today 'topless'. Is great. It's gonna be 100+ degrees around here this weekend. Real nice to have the option of putting the top back on too.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Argent C5
They are absolutely out there -- my car met your critera
they are a dime a dozen
Old 06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

vetteJR -

By all means keep up the search. The key is to inspect a LOT of cars.

After inspecting many cars you will then be able to recognize a "good" car when you see one. Prices for Corvettes can and are all over the place. This was true 40 years ago and it is still true today.

In your search you will find junk that owners are asking high dollars and once in awhile, just once in awhile you will find an EXCELLANT Corvette for a very reasonable price. Jump on that car when you find it, or you will regret it for a long time.

Also if you’re on a budget be sure you can afford to maintain the car properly. The best way to do this is to do your own repair work. If you must go to a mechanic for every repair it will cost you big time.

Good luck -

P.S. - Inspect UNDERSIDE the car as well as the top-side!

-

Last edited by timemender; 06-26-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: im having a hard time finding a vette within my budget...