Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the column lock boogey man scare anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 AM
5.0_CJ
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Does the column lock boogey man scare anyone else?

After experiencing the column lock failure quite a distance from home at a gas station - had it repaired under the TSB - but every once and a while it worries me. For instance, today I got in the car, and the lock didn't disengage immediately, had to turn the wheel and then it released... every time I expect it to get me.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 AM
MYLS6
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The more I read about those who had/have the issue yes it gets me thinking...
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 AM
richard emmanuel
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MYLS6
The more I read about those who had/have the issue yes it gets me thinking...
I had mine fixed during the recall early years, I thought. About a year later damn thing started locking up again so I would have to wiggle wheel a lot but it would unlock. Finally got fed up with it while 6 hours away from home in Wah. dc with a model babe under a parking deck it locked up. I started jerking the wheel back and forth and she says whats wrong dear are you upset about something, I said nawwh just need to unlock steering wheel, Her response was , Are you sure this is your car , I mean you really look upset. Needless to say when I got back in Charloote I had it repaired one more time and 4 years later not a single incident and as for the babe, she only lasted 3 more months, she was much more higher maintence than the vette.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 AM
SMaster
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

My wheel doesn't lock due to one of the recalls. I have HPTuners and have eliminated the possiblilty of it stranding me.

OT, I still worry about the flats (No more runflats) but have it coverd several ways.

In other words, after reading about the C5's issues here I ALWAYS have the problems I read about on my mind. I'm just like that... I worry WAY too much sometimes.

Even with no locking plate when I hear the the buzz it bothers me. I'm thinking about putting the CLB in just to turn it off completely.

So, yes, it bother me.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
After experiencing the column lock failure quite a distance from home at a gas station - had it repaired under the TSB - but every once and a while it worries me. For instance, today I got in the car, and the lock didn't disengage immediately, had to turn the wheel and then it released... every time I expect it to get me.
Nope. Column lock boogey man doesn't scare me. Installed the CLB when they first came out in approx 2001 and never gave it another thought. Threw away the GM recall notices. I would not trust the GM recall fix..too many posts about ongoing problems after GM performed recall work.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ
...today I got in the car, and the lock didn't disengage immediately, had to turn the wheel and then it released... every time I expect it to get me.
Get a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) and install it immediately, and you will no longer have to worry about it!!! It's just a matter of time before turning the wheek will not release
Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 AM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roscoe118
Get a Column Lock Bypass (CLB) and install it immediately, and you will no longer have to worry about it!!! It's just a matter of time before turning the wheek will not release

No worries here!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

I was worried since my car had the dealer recall done to it, so, I knew this would fail at some point.

So I purchased a HP Tuner Suite and disabled the column lock and changed the fuel cut off from 2 mph to 250 mph.

To me, this was better than purchasing a "CLB" and then removing the dealer k-harness.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I installed the CLB on mine and never worried about the column locking up again. Worked flawlessly and was a great peace of mind.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed the CLB about 6 months ago,while the column lock was still working,as opposed to waiting till it failed on me.
Couldn't think of a "good place",or a "right time" for the column lock to fail,so I spent the 50 bucks and 30 minutes,now I'm covered.
If the CLB should happen to fail,it's a 10 minute operation to plug the column lock actuator back in and be on my way.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1998whitecoupe-a4
...I purchased a HP Tuner Suite and disabled the column lock and changed the fuel cut off from 2 mph to 250 mph...
Does this actually prevent the "locking pin" from engaging? If not, you could still be at risk.

HP Tuner Suiite is an expensive way to disable the column lock. But I'm sure you purchased it to do more than just that...

Last edited by roscoe118; 06-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Does this actually prevent the "locking pin" from engaging? If not, you could still be at risk.

HP Tuner Suiite is an expensive way to disable the column lock. But I'm sure you purchased it to do more than just that...

from my understanding, when the dealer did / does the recall, they put some sort of plate to prevent the pin from locking or remove the pin all together - not sure which.

easy way to tell is the steering wheel is not "locked" when the keys are OUT OF THE ignition.

in HP Tuner, there was an option to "disable" the column lock, but not 100% sure what that would do as my car had the pin removed / blocked already, hence steering wheel does not lock.

my main concern was the fuel cut off, which the dealer was kind enough to set at 2 mph so I changed it to 250 mph
Old 06-24-2009, 10:14 AM
BlueSkunk952
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the recall done by the dealer on my 2000 coupe two years ago. Last week the car died while leaving the driveway. "PULL KEY, WAIT TEN SECONDS". Did that and has been OK since then. CLB ordered. I will install that and worry no more.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM
bd2626
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this effect all cars, auto, manual, all years, verts, FRC's....? I have a 2002 vert, auto, thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by richard emmanuel
I had mine fixed during the recall early years, I thought. About a year later damn thing started locking up again so I would have to wiggle wheel a lot but it would unlock. Finally got fed up with it while 6 hours away from home in Wah. dc with a model babe under a parking deck it locked up. I started jerking the wheel back and forth and she says whats wrong dear are you upset about something, I said nawwh just need to unlock steering wheel, Her response was , Are you sure this is your car , I mean you really look upset. Needless to say when I got back in Charloote I had it repaired one more time and 4 years later not a single incident and as for the babe, she only lasted 3 more months, she was much more higher maintence than the vette.
Same happened to me.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bd2626
Does this effect all cars, auto, manual, all years, verts, FRC's....? I have a 2002 vert, auto, thanks!
Yes sir, it does!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1998whitecoupe-a4
from my understanding, when the dealer did / does the recall, they put some sort of plate to prevent the pin from locking or remove the pin all together - not sure which.

easy way to tell is the steering wheel is not "locked" when the keys are OUT OF THE ignition.

in HP Tuner, there was an option to "disable" the column lock, but not 100% sure what that would do as my car had the pin removed / blocked already, hence steering wheel does not lock.

my main concern was the fuel cut off, which the dealer was kind enough to set at 2 mph so I changed it to 250 mph

I believe that the "blocking" plate is only installed on A4's...

Don't you hate it when the fuel cuts off at 250, though............

Get notified of new replies

To Does the column lock boogey man scare anyone else?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:49 PM
tremor1
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joel Forman
Nope. Column lock boogey man doesn't scare me. Installed the CLB when they first came out in approx 2001 and never gave it another thought. Threw away the GM recall notices. I would not trust the GM recall fix..too many posts about ongoing problems after GM performed recall work.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:56 PM
bd2626
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes sir, it does!!!
thanks
Old 06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Just get the CLB and be doen with it.
I tempted fate for far too long. I got the "remove key..." every few months last summer. about a month ago it started happening almost daily. I decided to install the CLB (that had been in my glove box for a year) that coming weekend. I stopped after work on the Thursday night and just about didn't get my column unlocked. I sat and sweated for about 10 minutes before I could unlock it. Drove it into the garage and put the CLB in right there. Simple job and now I have no stress...about the column lock

Quick Reply: Does the column lock boogey man scare anyone else?