Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a sunroof/moonroof on a Z06???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM
kluces
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a sunroof/moonroof on a Z06???

Can anyone recommend a sliding sunroof/moonroof for a 2002 Z06?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

There's not enough room for a sliding sunroof. I guess you could do the ricer thing where the roof sticks out the back when open - ugly.
Caravaggio Corvettes in Canada will put a Targa top on your ZO 6 for about $6500 - a solution.

Good luck.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

Don't do it!!!!! They never look or work quite right. IMO you will devalue your car.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
JCamaro
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown427conv
Don't do it!!!!! They never look or work quite right. IMO you will devalue your car.
He means the sunroof, not the Caravaggio...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You'd absolutely ruin the car!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,686 Likes on 1,485 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jrose7004

If they kill the value of a Camaro, image what it would do to a Corvette! Plus, the Z06 was designed with a structured roof to maintain the rigidity of the lightweight frame. Cutting a hole in the middle of it is like cutting a hole in the middle of a support beam.

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-22-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it that important? you will destroy that car, and the re-sale value with it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Cod
Bazinga!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Old 06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
TqMnster
Racer

I really want a targa top on mine... vert would be even better I think on my Z
Old 06-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

with the moonroof/sunroof mod being a bad idea. Although there are guys who have cut the tops off their z06 and let the sunshine in (as did Z06 Lee).

illMac77 converted his Z06 into a vert.
Cobra4b converted his Z06 into a targa.
GB Vette has his 'Fixed Roof Vert'.

Resale value is also based on those willing to pay for a certain uniqueness in a vechile.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:13 PM
dodriven
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5

If they kill the value of a Camaro, image what it would do to a Corvette! Plus, the Z06 was designed with a structured roof to maintain the rigidity of the lightweight frame. Cutting a hole in the middle of it is like cutting a hole in the middle of a support beam.
The roof has nothing to do with the cars added rigidity, which comes from the main hoop behind the seats. The roof is just a piece of plastic.

The Z06/FRC Targa's look great, a very exotic look. The only con from adding a targa would be the added weight, which for some is a null point.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Vert'd Z0
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5

i also agree with the moonroof/sunroof thing being a bad idea, however for different reasons.

i know everyone here has an opinion as to the structural integrity being diminished when the fixed roof is removed, but after reading anything i can find re: the subject and researching the work involved, i don't think there is that much of a difference in the feel of a 'verted z0 from it's factory origins. let me be clear:

THIS IS ONLY MY HUMBLE OPINION!!!!!

this is a quote from a couple sources, but they all say essentially the same thing:

The groundwork for the 1997 C-5 (fifth generation) Corvette was laid in 1989 when the Corvette design team began thinking of ways to make a more rigid Corvette. The 1986 convertible looked great, but the changes necessary to convert the coupe into a drop-top resulted in a weak structure that rattled and twisted.

In contrast, the next Corvette was designed from the ground up as both a convertible or a coupe. The bodylines combined some traditional Corvette themes such as the fastback top and four round taillights with a modern, aerodynamic shape. It was going to be a real looker—if and when it got built.

and:

The C5 was a major change from the previous generation. Designed from the outset as a sturdy convertible (as opposed to a coupé that was subsequently weakened by the removal of the roof structure in order to accommodate demand for a convertible model), the car now had a hydroformed box frame.

i have read some interesting information re: the frequencies measured between the various top "versions" of the c5 ('vert top up vs. down, coupe targa in place vs. removed, etc.) and they are compelling, but, again, i am speaking in terms of the "feel" of the car.

i would be interested in hearing illmac's review of his car before and after the conversion.

i would agree that if i was serious about auto-x or road course in a competetive sense that i would not want to have a 'verted z0, but probably more so for the safety aspect.

and i often wonder if i would i have removed the FRC on my car? probably not initially.

but after seeing illmac's, cobra's and gb's beautiful machines, i think i would have been tempted.

and as for:

Originally Posted by Lowcash
with the moonroof/sunroof mod being a bad idea. Although there are guys who have cut the tops off their z06 and let the sunshine in (as did Z06 Lee).

illMac77 converted his Z06 into a vert.
Cobra4b converted his Z06 into a targa.
GB Vette has his 'Fixed Roof Vert'.

Resale value is also based on those willing to pay for a certain uniqueness in a vechile.
i think i speak for those gentlemen when i say there is something special about having a uniquely modified version of an already classic american icon.

it's funny how many times i am challenged by the "purists" of our corvette "family" who are so limited in their creative minds that they are deadset in proving me a "poseur", rather than thinking that it just may be that a z0 can easily be a targa/'vert and that maybe the c5 designers actually entertained the idea.

as with most car customizing genres, i love it when trendsetters (aka brave/crazy individuals) think outside the box and "push the envelope".

i'm sure there were a few people who who snubbed there collective noses at the "nuts" who cut/chopped the top off old mercs, fords and chevys back in the 50's and 60's but i am glad they had the b@lls to try.

and to kluces (the OP), we all have an idea in our minds as to what we want our rides to look/perform like, so if you "see" a moonroof/sunroof on your z0, then who am i to pi$$ on your vision.

then again, this is only one man's opinion.

good luck to you whichever way you go.

peace,

rich
Old 06-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Gohard777
Burning Brakes

According to those that know at the Tech Center in Warren, Mi., GM made the frames alot stronger than ever before, that is why the convertible doesn't weigh much more than a coupe, all the weight, (strength), is already there to protect you, where you need it....
Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Several years ago one of the Vette magazines had an article about a Z06 that was customized in such a way that the entire hard roof could be detached and lifted off. Then, what remained looked like a stock convertible with the operating folding top stored underneath the tonneau cover like factory. Three top choices depending on the weather and your mood. Extremely cool. The guy I believe owned a body shop and started with a wrecked car and rebuilt it.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:56 AM
kluces
Heel & Toe

Guys,

Thank you all for your very valuable opinions. I've heard about the rigidity concerns, but Rich you have given me hope. Although a targa top was my ultimate goal, $6000 is financially out of my reach. That is why I would consider a sliding moon/sun roof.

So, the question still remains, has anyone seen or even entertained the idea of a sliding moon/sun roof?

Last edited by kluces; 06-25-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
ZO6DRIVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kluces
Guys,

Thank you all for your very valuable opinions. I've heard about the rigidity concerns, but Rich you have given me hope. Although a targa top was my ultimate goal, $6000 is financially out of my reach. That is why I would consider a sliding moon/sun roof.

So, the question still remains, has anyone seen or even entertained the idea of a sliding moon/sun roof?
Old Thread.... I didn't have the sun roof installed, but I did buy it this way! Works perfect and on a Blk ZO6 blends in Nice....Electric buttons in the headliner done very nice too...
Attached Images     
Old 02-02-2014, 01:02 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

Here you go, a ZO6 vert...and Wide Body, bring lots of $$$!

Originally Posted by TqMnster
I really want a targa top on mine... vert would be even better I think on my Z

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a sunroof/moonroof on a Z06???

Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Originally Posted by ZO6 Lee
There's not enough room for a sliding sunroof. I guess you could do the ricer thing where the roof sticks out the back when open - ugly.
Caravaggio Corvettes in Canada will put a Targa top on your ZO 6 for about $6500 - a solution.

Good luck.
Do this
Old 02-02-2014, 01:45 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

My bud Joe's Caravaggio Targa Z.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:36 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6DRIVER
Old Thread.... I didn't have the sun roof installed, but I did buy it this way! Works perfect and on a Blk ZO6 blends in Nice....Electric buttons in the headliner done very nice too...

Quick Reply: Installing a sunroof/moonroof on a Z06???