Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do with the underside of an aftermarket hood?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:27 PM
casslaw
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you do with the underside of an aftermarket hood?

I am getting my Ecklers High Rise hood this week (allegedly this week, what a debacle) and from searching on here it looks like 1) I should let the hood sit in the sun for a month?? Someone please explain this, and 2) I am wondering what people do with the underside of the hood? Do I put the stock under hood insulation, or should I have the hood painted inside and out and leave it bare? I don't know the pros and cons of each approach so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by casslaw
I am getting my Ecklers High Rise hood this week (allegedly this week, what a debacle) and from searching on here it looks like 1) I should let the hood sit in the sun for a month?? Someone please explain this, and 2) I am wondering what people do with the underside of the hood? Do I put the stock under hood insulation, or should I have the hood painted inside and out and leave it bare? I don't know the pros and cons of each approach so any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Ill try to lend my help and have a curious ear to hear what others say as well.

I don't know why you should have to let the hood sit for a month? Never heard of this. I have read a lot of members that get them in and immediately give the hoods over to their body shops. Shoot, I saw one guy that had his directly shipped to the body shop to save transportation costs. As far as hoodliner and airbrushing goes. As far as I know, the stock hoodliner won't fit to the aftermarket hoods, not without some type of modification to the underside of the hood (drilling holes would be required) so that's really not an option. From everything I have read, the insulation is not there to protect your hood, if you believe it or not. There is not enough heat that would cause damage to occur. The insulation is actually there in case a fire should actually occur in the engine compartment. The insulation or "blanket" is there so that when a fire does occur the plastic little tabs that hold it in place would melt and the insulation blanket would completely fall on the engine and thus smother any fire. This is what from an engineering standpoint it is designed to do anyways. This is why many don't bother with the insulation/blanket if they go the aftermarket hood route and why I have never heard a report yet of anybody having heat issues to cause any type of damage to the hood or paint on the exterior of it.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 06-11-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a Carravagio high-rise and my installer painted it (actually three times to get the color tone correct ), installed the stock underhood insulation and installed the hood on the car. No problems at all. Never heard of having to let a hood it sit in the sun for a month.
Ed
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5XTASY
I installed a Carravagio high-rise and my installer painted it (actually three times to get the color tone correct ), installed the stock underhood insulation and installed the hood on the car. No problems at all. Never heard of having to let a hood it sit in the sun for a month.
Ed
C5Xtasy can you add insight to how your installer added the stock underhood insulation? Did they have to drill holes for the plastic tabs that hold it in place? Pictures would be good too.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:59 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

On my RkSport hood the hood liner went back on. There was actually spots where the factory hood fasteners would go. They just needed to drill them which was no big deal. They were not drilled I would assume in case someone wanted to finish the bottom side.

My only problem was the two middle plugs to hold it in. My hood has no middle so I cut a peice of aluminum and drilled a hole into it and put the hood pad fasteners into this to plug the hole.

here is a pic. I am having a new one painted for me right now so if i remember i will take some pics

Dennis

Old 06-11-2009, 01:10 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So let me get this straight, you have air being rammed into your hoodliner?
Old 06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by DevilMan02

I didn't notice that.

anyway....I have an MCM hood which is basically ready to paint right out of the box...I have no idea how well teh Ecklers hood is finished...I had mine drop shipped directly to my painter...had both sides painted leaving some CF areas alone and clear coating everything.

No way I would put a hood liner in an aftermarket hood when paint looks so much better. In fact we had my girlfriends stock hood underside filled, painted and clearcoated as opposed to replacing her hood liner. It looks 100% better
Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Eckler's high rise hood several years ago. I didn't want to reuse the stock underhood blanket because I had a hard time keeping it clean and wanted to go with a different look.

I originally planned to paint the underside of the hood the same body color (entire hood front and back would have been body color). But my painter recommended that I do the "insert" portions in a flat black. I really like the contrast that gave. Here are a few pics of the underside of the hood.

I didn't have to leave it out in the sun for a month or anything like that. They recommend that you test fit it to the car before having it painted but I didn't do that either. The body shop said that they had to do less prep work on my hood than they had experience with other aftermarket hoods (actually charged me less than originally quoted because of the condition of the hood).

Hope you enjoy your new hood. Definately gives a new outlook from the drivers seat.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:27 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Dennis I have to agree with this....is your "ram air hood" non functional? If it is fully functional how do you not get rain and air pushing down and ruining your hoodliner? Guessing that the holes are closed off and it is just for looks...but please let us know.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM
FLY LOW
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 5-6-8-9-11 Veteran

Just put a Tigershark on this year and had it painted inside and out.
Not sure why you would let it sit for a month, but it is a good idea to put it on to make sure it fits to your likings first. Mine fit perfect and the guy who painted matched the factory pewter perfect.

No way to post pictures from work, the avatar is one of the inside.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<
Old 06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL Fire protection?The hood liner is there purely to dampen engine noise!
Old 06-11-2009, 02:27 PM
casslaw
Racer

The only reason I said something about letting it sit is that I did a search on hoods last night and a few of them said to let the hood sit to "set" or else the paint would crack. I had never heard of this before either, so that's why I asked. Lord knows I don't have any intention of letting the hood sit for a month without going on my car....especially since my nose is a different color because the painter had a hard time matching the pewter after my "friend" drove the car (long story, and no, no one else is driving the vette), and since the nose has to be repainted then of course I should add the hood! Thanks Guys
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
C5Xtasy can you add insight to how your installer added the stock underhood insulation? Did they have to drill holes for the plastic tabs that hold it in place? Pictures would be good too.
As I recall, the holes were already there. However, as I'm not sure, drop Carravagio an email and they'll be able to tell you.
Ed
Old 06-11-2009, 03:19 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

....especially since my nose is a different color because the painter had a hard time matching the pewter after my "friend" drove the car (long story, and no, no one else is driving the vette), and since the nose has to be repainted then of course I should add the hood! Thanks Guys
I have pewter also which is the reason things had to be repainted three times. In addition to the hood, I had to get the nose replaced (also a long story ). The first time the nose and hood came out too dark. The second time was much better but still just a tad off. The third time was a blending of the fenders, hood and nose. It now looks perfect. Pewter is a bitch to match. Also, the nose material requires a flexing agent in the paint which can shade the nose just a touch. Look at any C5, dependent on the angle you look at the hood and nose, they always seem just a little different, even the factory paint jobs.
Ed
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

no not really its blocked off for now. I have a new hood liner I am having made and goignt o put a screen in it to allow for air flow

Now like the air goes to the intake anyways as thats not possible where it sets.

Its for looks mainly

Thanks for pointing it
Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

As I recall, the holes were already there. However, as I'm not sure, drop Carravagio an email and they'll be able to tell you.
Ed
I was just curious. No need I don't deal with Carravaggio (like you...long story!)
Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM
time4prime2shine
Racer

I wanna hear about your "debacle" apparently getting this hood...might serve others lookin to buy a hood from there some good info...thanks

Get notified of new replies

To What do you do with the underside of an aftermarket hood?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rebelheart
LOL Fire protection?The hood liner is there purely to dampen engine noise!
This has been one that has been

I guess it's anyone's guess. Actually one guy's C5 did catch on fire and he did say it worked just like I explained. Your right though, I would say the main purpose is sound and the secondary purpose is fire protection.

Last edited by XtremeVette; 06-11-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by XtremeVette
Dennis I have to agree with this....is your "ram air hood" non functional? If it is fully functional how do you not get rain and air pushing down and ruining your hoodliner? Guessing that the holes are closed off and it is just for looks...but please let us know.

Its blocked but the hood is functional. I noted I am going to try to install a homemade screen in the new hood liner i am putting on. I am having one painted in flames right now.

The hood is mainly for looks and thats why i bought it

as for rain.
I have been caught in rain 2 time sin 5 years of owning the car. Normally if there is a cloud in the sky i dont drive the car
My wife is just as bad now with her Saturn Sky. We have had it a year and she has only 559 miles on it
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
FLY LOW
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 5-6-8-9-11 Veteran

I have pewter also which is the reason things had to be repainted three times. In addition to the hood, I had to get the nose replaced (also a long story ). The first time the nose and hood came out too dark. The second time was much better but still just a tad off. The third time was a blending of the fenders, hood and nose. It now looks perfect. Pewter is a bitch to match. Also, the nose material requires a flexing agent in the paint which can shade the nose just a touch. Look at any C5, dependent on the angle you look at the hood and nose, they always seem just a little different, even the factory paint jobs.
Ed
My pewter hood came out perfect the first time, maybe you should try this guy in MI.
www.rocketmancustoms.com

Quick Reply: What do you do with the underside of an aftermarket hood?