Sponsored by:

The Vette Barn - Monster Level 3 Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 PM
CS Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The Vette Barn - Monster Level 3 Clutch Install

Before I start, I want to give thanks where thanks are due. A big thank you to Gary Ballard, Kyle Garlough, and Rich Wheeler for helping me get this job done. This was definitely not a one man job! We also had a handful of other people stop by and help out along the way so I would also like to thank Tim Martin, Dickie Glessner, James Taylor, Brian Bowers, Draper Padgett, Lee Senn, and Justin Morrow. Every one of you contributed in one way or another. Thank you all very much!

Reader's Digest: Stock clutch was toast, don't like aftermarket clutches, LS7 clutch is not good for launching/slipping, bought and LS6 clutch, car makes too much power, sold LS6 clutch, forced to go aftermarket, Monster's were getting great reviews, talked in depth with Mike Yeager at Eastcoast Performance (really late at night ), figured I would give one a shot.

This is a shot of the car from Waterside a few weeks ago.

First things first, get it up in the air and get the wheels off.

Now remove your calipers, shocks, and upper control arm bolts.

Once the UCA's are loose, you can pop out the drive shafts and unbolt the parking brake cables (left side shown).

Drop the entire exhaust and remove the tunnel plate.

This is what it should look like. Now you are ready to unbolt the torque tube from the bellhousing and drop the cradle.

Have someone inside the car to guide the shifter down or just remove it. It is also easier to unhook the wiring harness from inside the car while dropping the whole assembly.

*** If you are using a two post lift you NEED to support the bottom of the engine. Once you remove the drivetrain components from the rear the car becomes very nose heavy and my "tip" forward.***

Not bad for 4.5 hours of work.

Once all of the drivetrain is removed you can remove your old clutch and flywheel. Here's my old flywheel:

Now is the time to replace the pilot bearing shown here (flat side out). Notice we also dropped the left header for easier access.

New Monster billet steel flywheel installed without removing the bellhousing.

Here's me at the beginning of day two (still clean).

Use plenty of brake cleaner now and try your best not to "finger up" the clutch components. Keep them all as clean as possible.

Monster Clutch installed and torqued with new ARP bolts. Don't forget to use red Loc-Tite.

Now is a great time to drag everything outside and pressure wash all the old oil and road grime off of the cradle. Be careful around your sensors and seals. Also, if you haven't already fixed your "leaky butt," now is the time to do it. Sorry no pics of "leaky butt" fix. Notice the slave cylinder location at the front of the torque tube. Unbolt the two bolts and replace that as well (already removed here).

Now stuff everything back up there. This is where all the names at the top of this post came into play. Five extra people made this much easier!

Now you should be reconnecting all of the clips and sensors that you removed earlier.

Notice the quick disconnect and the new remote bleeder already installed on the new slave cylinder.

The top line is the bleeder and the bottom line goes to the reservior.

I recommend routing the bleeder somewhere easily accessible and near the reservior.

Time to reinstall everything that you removed.

It's starting to look like a car again...

Last edited by CS Vette; 05-25-2009 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
CS Vette
Burning Brakes

Continued...

I used this opprotunity to polish up the mufflers and over axle pipes before reinstallation.

Before:

After:

YEA!!! My tips are finally strait! That won't last long.

Don't foget to give everything a good "once-over" to make sure you connected all of your plugs and that everything is bolted down and routed correctly. Might also want to change all your fluids now too.

Only two days of work and we're back on the ground ready for a test drive.

Here's a big thumbs up for the team at Eastcoast Performance. Joey and Mike have shown me the best customer service I have seen in a very long time. Very quick to return emails, PM's, and phone calls. They also answered ALLLLL of my questions with accurate and descriptive information. I could not be happier with the service I that I received from Eastcoast Performance. I really look forward to doing more business with them in the future.

Stay tuned for first impressions and break-in of the new Monster!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Very nice write up and looking forward to the review
Old 05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent write-up Casey. Enjoy that new clutch and the vette looks great

Chuck
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Wow! Nicely done. Let us know how she feels after a bit
Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 PM
(Lucy)
Account disabled by request Dec 2015

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks Killer!! All the hard work will pay off!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM
JJ 86
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Old 05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Well documented job.....waiting for the test runs.....
Old 05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Dougzilla
Racer

Great job on the clutch install Casey !
Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Grim Reaper
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19

Excellent write up, congrats on the great job.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Lowcash
Melting Slicks

Casey. Glad to hear you finally got the clutch in.

Also glad to see that 'raggedy black car' has moved from its perch.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up Casey, wish I could have been there to help you out. I have to admit, I am going to miss the smell and sound of your old clutch slipping.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 PM
CS Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Lowcash
Casey. Glad to hear you finally got the clutch in.

Also glad to see that 'raggedy black car' has moved from its perch.
Yessir! And it moved under it's own power... .

Originally Posted by stormrider
Nice write up Casey, wish I could have been there to help you out. I have to admit, I am going to miss the smell and sound of your old clutch slipping.
LOL! Guess I'm gonna start going through tires now. Something's gotta give. I can't wait to feel WOT again!
Old 05-25-2009, 06:30 PM
CS Vette
Burning Brakes

Start-Up and First Drive:

Once we finally finished bleeding the new slave and remote bleeder I got to feel what my new clutch was really going to feel like. I loved it. Pedal feel is definitely stiffer than stock but still very comfortable (I prefer a pretty stiff petal anyway). Time to fire up the car and listen for rattles or vibrations. Everything sounded pretty good. I let it get pretty hot to seal all the exhaust gaskets and clamps. With the pedal pushed down I ran the shifter through each gear without issue. Time to try it out!

The very first time I lifted my foot with the car in first gear I lifted very slowly and then ZOOM! The clutch grabbed hard and the car pulled forward. To my relief, not one bit of chatter. I knew right then that I made the right choice by using a Monster. I drove back and forth in first and reverse a few times to feel things out. Everything checked good. Time to take it out for a little cruise.

On my way home the clutch was just as "grabby" as before. I did get some very slight chatter in first from a dead stop. All other shifts are smooth and silent. The first gear chatter is so slight that it actually feels like I'm spinning a tire over about a quarter rotation and then catching traction. Sorry if that is confusing but that is the best way I can describe it. Not voilent at all. Hands down the smoothest aftermarket clutch I have ever felt (and I've driven them all).

If it drives this nice with only about 25 miles on it I can only imagine what it will feel like after a complete break-in. I have not been over 3k RPM yet so I can't speak about high RPM shifts or vibration yet. I can tell you that, with the exception of first gear starts, it drives just like OEM. So far, I am super impressed with the performance, feel, and driveability of the clutch.

Also, one thing to consider if you are concerned about the minimal chatter in first gear is that my car isn't stock. The car is already pretty rough at low RPM due to the big cam. With that said, I would still be very surprised if I have any chatter at all after a complete break-in. I drove it to work tonight so I'll keep you all posted as the break-in continues. So far so good!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Another reason why this is the best Vette forum on the net -- great job! Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM
IDM
Le Mans Master

your car is so tastefully modded it's rediculous
Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very well done

Get notified of new replies

To The Vette Barn - Monster Level 3 Clutch Install

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Patiently awaiting review as well. I am really close to getting this clutch. I read some reviews about the chatter and how to maybe get rid of some of it. Let us know what you think.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
CS Vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by IDM
your car is so tastefully modded it's rediculous
Thanks Bud! Wait until I get some pics of the new interior.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:01 PM
happa
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a Awesome looking vette! Mike is a great guy, had lunch with him and the other guys from the shop and they are all top notch guys. Im getting a Monster Clutch when mine goes out, its good to still here good reviews

Quick Reply: The Vette Barn - Monster Level 3 Clutch Install