Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Mrchips
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat

Anyone running this tire? I am going to have to purchase tires in a few months, depending on amount driven. So I am starting the tire savings program.

Now I am looking for information on what everyone is having good luck with that does not take Fort Knox to fund.

I am still on the fence between run flat's or moving away from them.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
pjbracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrchips
Anyone running this tire? I am going to have to purchase tires in a few months, depending on amount driven. So I am starting the tire savings program.

Now I am looking for information on what everyone is having good luck with that does not take Fort Knox to fund.

I am still on the fence between run flat's or moving away from them.

Thanks
Switched a few years ago from 28K miles OEM Gooodyears.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP are much quieter and a little softer ride. Wore out rears in about 26K miles but the fronts are still good at 32K. I will buy the Pilot Sports again.

Pete
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM
maxvalley
Racer

I have them and love them, even got to test the run flat ability for 5 miles.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

my opinion...stay away from the A/S..go with a non runflat.

Toyo makes a good tire in stock sizes we are running on my girlfriends 02

I have KDW's on my 99 because I am running 335/30/18's and Toyo doesn't make a 335

Pilot Sports are much more money and having had them I can say that the Toyos or KDWs are a better bang for your buck
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I have had them on my car for 7k about 1 year. The Michelin Pilot AS ZP tires are great.

There is a great reduction in noise. The ride is slightly better. I do not run at the ragged edge so the handling is fine for me.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 514 Likes on 304 Posts

Just bought a set 2 weeks ago, man what a difference, much better ride, and much quieter, but still tire noise, but no where as bad as the Goodyears. I got the A?S Plus, this a new and improved version over the old A/S runflat. They are suppose to have cured the tread life problem, as the A/S Plus has a tread life warranty where the old A/S did not. Time will tell.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First set went at about 23K, I replaced with the new Plus model which is suppose to have a much higher wear schedule with a 500 wear value.

I like them and have no complaints. I wish they looked a little wider on the rear but they are the same size.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:00 AM
GS Ron
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S ZP about 6 months ago.
Like them much better then the OEM Goodyears
Even the wife says they ride better.............
Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

You haven't filled out your profile. Its worth doing as members can then target advice to your model. So I don't know where you live and what weather conditions you drive in

If you live in a fine weather area the All Season tire has less value than a regular tire. If you drive in the wet I'd say its a big plus

The Zero Pressure (ZP) question is easy. If you're happy to run the risk of being stranded, can live with a quick repair at the roadside or if you only drive in town and can call a flatbed then you'll get better performance from a non runflat.

I have the older Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZPs and I like them. Not the best looking tire but way quieter than stock. They handle well in all conditions - gone is the tramlining and whine from the stock tires. Mine are wearing well; they have 17k miles and still half half life left. Theres a new Pilot Sport 2 ZP on the market now.

They are more expensive than many tires so you need to take that into account but will last longer as they're harder rubber. They can also be plugged if you take a nail in the tread.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-11-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:09 AM
az57chevy
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You'll never find a rut in the road again!! Good choice
Old 05-11-2009, 08:47 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have them on my '00 coupe. No issues with ruts, they are quiet and I like 'em. They seem to handle just fine in all types of weather and as my car is my DD, it sees rain as well as good weather.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought these Michelins for my 98 last year. Much better for noise and traction than the OEM GY's. I would recommend them and in fact buy them again when I wear these out.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:03 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

I also have a set of the Pilot Sport A/S ZPs on my 2000, this is the third summer for them. Have to agree that they are much quieter, better riding, and best of all, no tramlinig!!!! Now, the car goes where I point it. I'd go with the plus version, if they're supposed to wear better. Even though I have AAA, I just don't want the hassel/risk of a flat tire, or flat bedding the car. Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:07 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 212 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
You haven't filled out your profile. Its worth doing as members can then target advice to your model. So I don't know where you live and what weather conditions you drive in

If you live in a fine weather area the All Season tire has less value than a regular tire. If you drive in the wet I'd say its a big plus

The Zero Pressure (ZP) question is easy. If you're happy to run the risk of being stranded, can live with a quick repair at the roadside or if you only drive in town and can call a flatbed then you'll get better performance from a non runflat.

I have the older Michelin Pilot Sport AS ZPs and I like them. Not the best looking tire but way quieter than stock. They handle well in all conditions - gone is the tramlining and whine from the stock tires. Mine are wearing well; they have 17k miles and still half half life left. Theres a new Pilot Sport 2 ZP on the market now.

They are more expensive than many tires so you need to take that into account but will last longer as they're harder rubber. They can also be plugged if you take a nail in the tread.
I have had mine for 2 years of daily driving. In Oregon you can get almost any type of weather and the AS/ZPs allow me to travel without worrying about constant weather changes. If I lived in SoCal, Texas, etc. I wouldn't pay for an AS tire......but in my climate these are about the only choice for a daily driver.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
PlasticCar
Advanced

I just got rid of the GY run flats and put on the A/S ZP plus and love them. Much quieter, smoother riding and no rut jumping! A little pricey, but I feel that they're worth it.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Roostertail
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by pewter99
my opinion...stay away from the A/S..go with a non runflat.
No way... I put a set of Pilot Sport A/S Plus on my wifes car. We don't have to worry about flats. I don't need to have her getting stranded out in the desert when it's 120 degrees!

It might be OK for you, but I'm not putting my wifes safety at risk

These tires are much better than the Goodyears and much quieter as well. Great worry free tires...

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus Run-Flat