Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to jack up car to paint calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:28 PM
vette99coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to jack up car to paint calipers??

I would really like to paint the calipers red but am not sure how to best jack up the car to do it.

I have a regular sized two car garage but no special "tools" to jack up the car. I figure how ever I do it, I will only be able to take off one tire/wheel at at time.

Any suggestions on the best, safest method to jack it up?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 03:43 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Depends on what type jack you have. If you have a low profile that can get under the car without it being higher than stock, then you just need to raise it, support it with jack stands, and do your business.
If you have just a standard floor jack, then drive it up onto a couple 2x6's to get it high enough.
Put a length of 2x6 under each wheel, drive the car onto the boards, then jack as normal. Just make sure you use jacking pucks, or in a pinch, you can use about a 4 inch piece of 1 inch thick board(with a rag on it). Place the wood on the jack, slide it under the rocker at the jacking point, and raise it as normal. Make sure you use jack stands once you have it high enough to get the wheel off.
For the rear, use a jacking puck, or piece of wood, and jack it up from the center of the rear crossmember, and support it with jack stands. Chock the front wheels to keep it from rolling.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by sneakelman
Depends on what type jack you have. If you have a low profile that can get under the car without it being higher than stock, then you just need to raise it, support it with jack stands, and do your business.
If you have just a standard floor jack, then drive it up onto a couple 2x6's to get it high enough.
Put a length of 2x6 under each wheel, drive the car onto the boards, then jack as normal. Just make sure you use jacking pucks, or in a pinch, you can use about a 4 inch piece of 1 inch thick board(with a rag on it). Place the wood on the jack, slide it under the rocker at the jacking point, and raise it as normal. Make sure you use jack stands once you have it high enough to get the wheel off.
For the rear, use a jacking puck, or piece of wood, and jack it up from the center of the rear crossmember, and support it with jack stands. Chock the front wheels to keep it from rolling.

I made a set of small ramps using two two foot pieces of 2X4 and two pieces of 2X6, nail or screw the 2X4 onto one end of the 2X6 so it looks like a 'T' and place them in front of the two front tires and drive up on them, it'll raise the car about three inches and you can slide a floor jack under the side to the front crossmember and to the round jacking puck spot and life it up. use a jack stand and paint you caliper.

You can do the same thing at the rear. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:06 PM
savage1
Pro

I used dupli-color spray paint so I chose to do it outside. I was also doing a brake upgrade so I wanted to do all four wheels at once.

I have put my vette up on four jack stands several times. I have done it with jacking pucks on the frame rails and also used the front and rear cross members. For this mod I kept the stands underneath for more room to mask off.

You just need to take your time and be careful not to let the car move to much when lifting. The ground must absolutely be flat. I prefer to drive the front up on ramps, then place the stands in the rear and last put the stands in the front.

Here are a few pics.

savage1
Old 03-08-2009, 04:23 PM
jol
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Savage 1...your car is gorgeous!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

That Vette on the Jackstands looks very funny!! Just don't lean on it with your elbow or.......Indy

Get notified of new replies

To Easiest way to jack up car to paint calipers??

Quick Reply: Easiest way to jack up car to paint calipers??