Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pressure sending unit? how important?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 02:57 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by slovets
The shop wants to replace my oil pressure sensor/sending unit and tells me the need to remove the intake manifold in order to do so. It sounds like a major labor expense - some three hours. Does this sound reasonable?
No way it should take 3 hours even taking off the manifold. I can change the injectors on a L98 in less than 3 hours and there's way more to that than just taking the manifold off.

Seems to me ET says all you have to do is take out the bolts and slide the manifold forward about 3 inches or so to do this job. Just enough to see what you're doing and be able to grab the sending unit.

I was going to use the method here in the video but it's not as easy as he makes it looks and leaves out a couple steps.

I got lucky, if that's what you want to call it and found the PO had cut a piece out and then re-secured it with tape. Not the way I would have done it, but in any case, I just took off the cutout and changed it in about 3 minutes, then put the piece back on in the same manner. It's hidden and was already like that so no big deal.

Mine never did go bonkers though mine was actually leaking oil.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I opt'ed for the hole cutting in the fiber glass right above the oil sensor. Removing a perfectly operating intake manifold to me is just a waste of time. The hole gets covered up with the plastic cowell, so it doesn't really matter. Now the oil sensor re-locating kit is a good option, but again the intake must be taken off. Good luck on which way you go. Lots of guys who own vettes won't cut the hole (it's just a car) but they hold the vette to a higher level and will swear to God they won't do that.. Good luck..
Old 07-26-2013, 03:01 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
I opt'ed for the hole cutting in the fiber glass right above the oil sensor. Removing a perfectly operating intake manifold to me is just a waste of time. The hole gets covered up with the plastic cowell, so it doesn't really matter. Now the oil sensor re-locating kit is a good option, but again the intake must be taken off. Good luck on which way you go. Lots of guys who own vettes won't cut the hole (it's just a car) but they hold the vette to a higher level and will swear to God they won't do that.. Good luck..
IMO the relocate thing would be the best thing to do, but cutting an access is a close second. The only reason I say the relocate thing is better is because once you do that, it becomes a five minute job and you never have to remove anything.

Because it's not if the sensor goes bad, it's when. And many members have changed theirs multiple times.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:03 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Jesse, You didn't want to remove a perfectly good intake, But cutting a hole in the body is ok?
Just sounds funny.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM
slovets
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Jesse. Am kind of a "purist" and prefer not to cut the hole.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM
amlarson2001
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

You dont have to cut anything if you have the right tools. I did it in 25 mins first time after reading up on it real quick. It is not hard.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by 2SlowinTO
Thanks for the video!

Will attempt it this weekend.

A little afraid of getting dirt in the hole, the socket falling off when pulling it out (and then trying to get it back out if it falls off)

You made it look fairly easy, hope big hands won't be a big problem getting the new sensor back in.
I did it using the process from the video. First thing to do is blow the area out with air, then I put a wedge between the cowl and the fuel rail bracket to better fit my hands in there and had a couple small lights and a good mirror to see what I was doing. What they do not show in the video is to use a coat hangar and bend it to get the connector off. It takes a couple tries to get it back on too. I put blue tape inside the socket to wedge the new one into it so I could install it using the socket. I hear your concern about the socket falling so use some duct tape from the socket to the swivel to the extention. All together the time it took was about 30 minutes because I kept getting more tools to help. If I do it again I will make my own video.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

I've had plenty of oil pressure for almost a year now. I think 80 psi is just plenty....so...no problem!!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
I did it using the process from the video. First thing to do is blow the area out with air, then I put a wedge between the cowl and the fuel rail bracket to better fit my hands in there and had a couple small lights and a good mirror to see what I was doing. What they do not show in the video is to use a coat hangar and bend it to get the connector off. It takes a couple tries to get it back on too. I put blue tape inside the socket to wedge the new one into it so I could install it using the socket. I hear your concern about the socket falling so use some duct tape from the socket to the swivel to the extention. All together the time it took was about 30 minutes because I kept getting more tools to help. If I do it again I will make my own video.
That guy was going to try it in September of 2012.

Reckon he got it done yet

But your information is helpful. Thanks
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Maineah
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted a month ago or so about putting together a kit for $50.00 for relocating the sensor. Anyone know if this available somewhere?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Maineah
Someone posted a month ago or so about putting together a kit for $50.00 for relocating the sensor. Anyone know if this available somewhere?
You didn't read this thread very well did you? Check out post 58, It will cost more for the sensor and all parts.
Mr.Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Maineah
Advanced

Mr. Bill,
I did read your post. Some vendor posted that he was coming out with a complete kit, one part number, all the pieces you need.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Mr. Bill,
I did read your post. Some vendor posted that he was coming out with a complete kit, one part number, all the pieces you need.
OK, Sorry then, I haven't seen that, 50 bucks is a great price for all the parts in 1 package.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Mr. Bill,
I remember seeing that as well but no updates...sure sounds like it would be a worth while thing to do at a reasonable price...Hope that it happens.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:20 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Always suprises me how some members seem to take offense when other members choose a different way of solving a given problem. What is easy for some may be very difficult for others. Just seems odd that when different methods are suggested some reply in a hostile manner. Do what works for you but there are always other ways to resolve the problem.

BTW, I have had three brass switches fail on my 99. So when I replaced the OEM, I am glad I bought a sender with a lifetime warranty :^)

Last edited by jrprich; 07-28-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wcsinx
It's actually very easy if you take the route of cutting an access port in the lower cowling. Some purists don't like this method, but it's a lot less of a PITA than pulling the intake.
there is a how to video on utube..guy changes sender without cutting hole or pulling intake.

worth a look
Old 09-18-2013, 11:33 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

you guys can say what you want, I will be cutting out a nice neat square with my dremel, and I will get er done that way!!!

Vettman1 thanks for that great picture that's exactly what I needed to see to create my new access port...lol

Last edited by 209TIME!!!; 09-18-2013 at 11:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To oil pressure sending unit? how important?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM
slovets
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, 209Time. Had my Oil Pressure Sending unit replaced the hard way at a cost of $425. Not very frugal but keeps it in original condition.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:11 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me, cutting a hole is just making an access point that GM should of done from the beginning. Either way what ever floats anybodies boat, do it anyway you all want. Someone was asking and I was just giving options of what this forum is all about.. keep an open mind and we may all end up living in harmony, figure that one..
Old 09-19-2013, 04:15 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
you guys can say what you want, I will be cutting out a nice neat square with my dremel, and I will get er done that way!!!

Vettman1 thanks for that great picture that's exactly what I needed to see to create my new access port...lol
For me, cutting a hole is just making an access point that GM should of done from the beginning. Either way what ever floats anybodies boat, do it anyway you all want. Someone was asking and I was just giving options of what this forum is all about.. keep an open mind and we may all end up living in harmony, figure that one..

It's a Mod like any other that enhances the car and makes it what it should have been. If done properly and neatly it will enhance your car.

Although moving it would be better for future replacement because then it would be even easier to replace.

Me thinks GM should have designed these things better if people are concerned about cutting a hole you will never see where a hole should be to begin with.

Quick Reply: oil pressure sending unit? how important?