Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked my keys in my car - Need help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:05 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by J S Machine
Ok guys I got it. The friend of mine checked the theory and it worked. He sat in his car for about 15 minutes, and then pressed the unlock button from the inside. Set the alarm off, but still unlocked the doors.

This puzzles me. When my wife did the same thing the doors remained locked. Like I said in the original post, she called me from inside the car with the car still locked, after she had pressed the unlock button and the alarm was going off. I had to come back out of the store and back to the car to unlock the door and let her out. The only difference between her deal and everyone else's is that she was on the *PASSENGER* side. I am assuming everyone here pressed the unlock button with a rod of some sort on the *DRIVER* side...

Anyway, I took to welding rods and put them in the window. I put one on the unlock button and bent the other to pull the actual lock lever. I pulled the lock lever first, which effectively unlocked the door and when I opened it, the alarm went off. -Keys (which were laying in the shifter boot) in the ignition to kill the alarm. This leads me to believe that there is an actual actuating arm inside the door from the handle/lock lever to the striker. I had wondered if it was all electronic. -in this case pulling the unlock lever would have done no good/would have been the same as pressing the unlock button.

So I didn't try the pushing the button theory, but I know that you can pull the lock lever itself.

Problem solved. Now I am going to get a key made as soon as I get a day off...
And turn the passive feature on.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:08 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by Ol'55
This is the method most used by car thief's. I don't think that the alarm will go off if you push the unlock button, it will if you open the door by the inside handle.:
Incorrect. I opened the door from the outside just a bit ago. Alarm did not sound until I pulled the handle on the OUTSIDE and opened the door.

Originally Posted by Ol'55
It's for this reason I've disconnected the white/w orange stripe wire from the inside door lock button switches on both armrests. The thief (and me too!) can push the inside button 'til the cows come home, but no power goes to just the unlock side of the switch.

Great idea. GREAT idea.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by NDMIKE88
And turn the passive feature on.
Well from my understanding the shaking of the car shakes the remote inside the car which unlocks the car. I don't carry my fob anymore because it doesn't work. -I may be wrong though.
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I have never heard of this being suggested and do not know if it would set off the alarm, but could you not just take a straight rod, stick it through the window gap and push the hatch release?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Ok guys I got it. The friend of mine checked the theory and it worked. He sat in his car for about 15 minutes, and then pressed the unlock button from the inside. Set the alarm off, but still unlocked the doors.

This puzzles me. When my wife did the same thing the doors remained locked. Like I said in the original post, she called me from inside the car with the car still locked, after she had pressed the unlock button and the alarm was going off. I had to come back out of the store and back to the car to unlock the door and let her out. The only difference between her deal and everyone else's is that she was on the *PASSENGER* side. I am assuming everyone here pressed the unlock button with a rod of some sort on the *DRIVER* side...

Anyway, I took to welding rods and put them in the window. I put one on the unlock button and bent the other to pull the actual lock lever. I pulled the lock lever first, which effectively unlocked the door and when I opened it, the alarm went off. -Keys (which were laying in the shifter boot) in the ignition to kill the alarm. This leads me to believe that there is an actual actuating arm inside the door from the handle/lock lever to the striker. I had wondered if it was all electronic. -in this case pulling the unlock lever would have done no good/would have been the same as pressing the unlock button.

So I didn't try the pushing the button theory, but I know that you can pull the lock lever itself.

Problem solved. Now I am going to get a key made as soon as I get a day off...
Glad you got it done. I didn't wanna go off-topic earlier, but my 1st thought was: You wife either, pushed the window button, or the "lock" button... that's why it didn't UNlock.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004

Originally Posted by Choreo
I have never heard of this being suggested and do not know if it would set off the alarm, but could you not just take a straight rod, stick it through the window gap and push the hatch release?
Even if it does set off the alarm....

BUT WHO CARES? He's just trying to get his dang keys!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:28 PM
jimmymc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk about stupid, The other day i was on my way to work, and had to pick up some body. well he had to put something in the trunk. so i just pushed the trunk unlock on my bob. got out to help, and keep from hurting my car u no. i shut the door with the engine running. the door locked. now what, no spare, shaking won't work . I got a coat hanger from him and unlock the door from the window. had to speed to work, but that was easy and fun. made it with 7 min's to spare
Old 02-26-2009, 07:31 PM
9lives
Instructor

OK i tried every kind of way to do open the door with it locked the best way is to try and hit the unlock button and yes the alarm will go off.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Keys

Not ragging on anyone just giving information.
Eckler's Has Them For $14.99

1997 -2004 C5
Corvette Key Code For Resistance Chip Keys
Nothing needs to be programmed you just have to buy the right key. There is a chip in the key and they have a different resistance. They make 15 different vat # keys.
Just use an ohm meter across the chip on your current key.
VATS #, Resistance in ohms
Key # Ohms
1./ 392
2./ 523
3./ 681
4./ 887
5./ 1.13k
6./ 1.47k
7./ 1.87k
8./ 2.37k
9./ 3.01k
10./ 3.74k
11./ 4.75k
12./ 6.04k
13./ 7.50k
14./ 9.53k
15./ 11.80k

Last edited by Boulty1961; 02-26-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:12 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
Glad you got it done. I didn't wanna go off-topic earlier, but my 1st thought was: You wife either, pushed the window button, or the "lock" button... that's why it didn't UNlock.
This is still up in the air and I am suspicious of her statement too...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

This is still up in the air and I am suspicious of her statement too...

It's too bad you didn't On-Star... or should Blonde-Star...
Old 02-27-2009, 10:53 PM
CaliforniaJack
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Look- No hands!

Several years ago a few Vettes were entered when thieves simply read the VIN number through the windshield and ordered a "replacement" key from the local Chevy dealer.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 PM
mikjalex
4th Gear

Default Key locked in car.

I have a 2002 Coupe. I pulled into our alley to park in the garage. I got out of the car to move another car that was in the way. When I went back to get in the Vette the doors were locked with the key in the ignition and car running... And yes, I too have only one key for this car. After some minor panic for several minutes and no other options, I went and got a coat hanger. It only took about 2 minutes to snake it down between the window and rubber to hit the unlock button and open the door. No alarm went off on my car. I'm getting my extra key made ASAP.

Quick Reply: Locked my keys in my car - Need help...