Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ok final word and update on mgw shifter please read if interested>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
0MGW George
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11

ok guys final last phase and we are a go!!!!

i took the finalized product to CMP track in kershaw and ran the **** out of it all day at an open track day to abusie test the shifter. the tranny tunnel got too hot to even touch and the shifter never got tight or missed a beat. i really needed this last test done before i released them and i am ready tomorrow to FINALLY start assembleing shifters and ship them!!!!!

thanks for the extreme patience guys i love this thing.

3 points to just say once again cuz i htink people may be not reading all the details and do not want to steer anyone wrong!!!

1. in the very cold weather or when the car is cold started it will buzz slightly when accelerating until warmed up there is NO way around this without making the shifter too sloppy!!!!!! if you have no tolerance for this please do NOT buy this shifter. when i say it buzzes i can only even notice it sometimes when the windows are up ac off radio off and dead quiet in the car. i NEVER drive like this and i am sure 99 percent of people dont either. but if you just WANT to hear it make noise then i guess you can . lol

2. this shifter shifts like a frickin dream i road raced it all day and it NEVER got tiring . shifts are precise easy no effort. NEVER missed a shift never felt vague never got hard or sloppy

it absolutely is the BEST feeling shifter i have ever felt in a corvette and in my opiniion of course...

WAY WORTH A LITTLE bit of noise occasionlly for this shifting nirvana!!!!!!!

3. i strongly suggest swapping out the shifter box itsefl like i posted in another thread if you have a z06 to a non z06 shifter box. it does ZERO to affect the preciseness of the feel and really calms the vibration NVH in the z06 cars. makes a wrold of difference.

regards

george
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 PM
lghtsout
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks george I cannt wait for you to ship mine
Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtsout
Thanks george I cannt wait for you to ship mine
+1

It does sound like it is worth the wait.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I ordered the newest version on Monday. Any idea when it will ship?
Old 02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
dadsturn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

ordered mine today. Already have the ****. Switching from the stock cut down to this. Should be night and day from what i have heard.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:45 PM
gman01Z
Advanced

George,

I purchased one of your shifters online through your site this past october and absolutely love it. I have had no problems with it and no rattling noises at all. Just curious when purchasing online which version is the default shifter you ship out the 30% or the 15% reduction. Thanks
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

I received mine today. Oh my this shifter rocks! WOW I cannot wait till it warms up a bit to enjoy this some more.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:25 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Omaha02Z06
I received mine today. Oh my this shifter rocks! WOW I cannot wait till it warms up a bit to enjoy this some more.

Thanks!
Can't wait until they ship mine. When did you order yours?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MGW George
ok guys final last phase and we are a go!!!!

i took the finalized product to CMP track in kershaw and ran the **** out of it all day at an open track day to abusie test the shifter. the tranny tunnel got too hot to even touch and the shifter never got tight or missed a beat. i really needed this last test done before i released them and i am ready tomorrow to FINALLY start assembleing shifters and ship them!!!!!

thanks for the extreme patience guys i love this thing.

3 points to just say once again cuz i htink people may be not reading all the details and do not want to steer anyone wrong!!!

1. in the very cold weather or when the car is cold started it will buzz slightly when accelerating until warmed up there is NO way around this without making the shifter too sloppy!!!!!! if you have no tolerance for this please do NOT buy this shifter. when i say it buzzes i can only even notice it sometimes when the windows are up ac off radio off and dead quiet in the car. i NEVER drive like this and i am sure 99 percent of people dont either. but if you just WANT to hear it make noise then i guess you can . lol

2. this shifter shifts like a frickin dream i road raced it all day and it NEVER got tiring . shifts are precise easy no effort. NEVER missed a shift never felt vague never got hard or sloppy

it absolutely is the BEST feeling shifter i have ever felt in a corvette and in my opiniion of course...

WAY WORTH A LITTLE bit of noise occasionlly for this shifting nirvana!!!!!!!

3. i strongly suggest swapping out the shifter box itsefl like i posted in another thread if you have a z06 to a non z06 shifter box. it does ZERO to affect the preciseness of the feel and really calms the vibration NVH in the z06 cars. makes a wrold of difference.

regards

george
what is the difference between the two box designs?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ditchtehfish
can't wait until they ship mine. When did you order yours?
12/30/08
Old 02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
What did you have in your car prior to this? I have an MTI now and it isn't bad, best I've tried; still debating whether this would be worth trying out...

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Omaha02Z06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
What did you have in your car prior to this? I have an MTI now and it isn't bad, best I've tried; still debating whether this would be worth trying out...

The stock shifter.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:48 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock shifter.
Anything is better than the stock shifter though. I guess I need to wait until someone tries one after having an aftermarket shifter...
Old 02-15-2009, 05:03 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 799 Likes on 449 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 71corv
Ordered the "old" MGW shifter several days ago. Received it today and installed it this afternoon. Have to say, at the present price, this is probably the best buy one can make. Installation was no problem and the shifter is as good as advertised. Short firm throws, no rattles or vibrations noticed and really no problem finding all the gears. Reverse is a little stiff getting to, but hopefully this will change as the shifter is used. Thanks to MGW for the quick turn around on the shifter and ****.

Gene

I ordered mine a couple of months ago, and it finally came in this week. it was well worth the wait. Not sure which version I received for my money though. I have no rattles or Buzzing, but I do haowever have the same problem you have " finding the reverse" , which is somewhat of a problem in an 05 like mine since you have to put the darn thing in reverse to park and kill the ignition.
Hope it will get better with use, or not sure if there is tweaking this thing.
Great shifter other than that reverse issue.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:28 AM
nighteu4ia
Racer

Originally Posted by TOOGECKO
Anything is better than the stock shifter though. I guess I need to wait until someone tries one after having an aftermarket shifter...
i've tried the MTI, BM shifters and now have the MGW shifter installed in my 02 Z06. I do like the MGW best. It did have some rattle regardless of tempatures. the rattle was related to the ****. I was able to fix the rattle with a very simple fix. I placed a piece of rubber inside the threaded hole of the **** and screwed it back on the shaft of the shfiter. this eliminated the rattle. the shifter has nice short, firm shifts and seems to work very precise under high rpms. very pleased with the MGW shifter.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:03 PM
vettery
Racer

George,
I ordered one of your shifters for my ’04 Z06 Jan 7 and just received it Feb 11. I was charged the original price of $199.00 but that is not my complaint. I installed the shifter Saturday morning at took off on a 500 mile trip, so warm-up wasn’t an issue (ambient temps were cold though 30-40°F). My complaint is that there is a lot of noise transmitted through the shifter during moderate to heavy acceleration. It’s not a “buzz” or even a “rattle” more like a loud, rapid, clicking sound that I can mute some if I keep a death grip on the shifter but I can still feel it in my hand. Also, I haven’t done the anti-venom mod yet so I know I can ease the effort to engage a gear but I don’t think that will ease the side-to-side effort to change gates. Bottom line is I would like to try your newer design shifter assuming it would resolve my issues. Let’s make a deal!
Terry
Old 02-16-2009, 02:01 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vettery
George,
I ordered one of your shifters for my ’04 Z06 Jan 7 and just received it Feb 11. I was charged the original price of $199.00 but that is not my complaint. I installed the shifter Saturday morning at took off on a 500 mile trip, so warm-up wasn’t an issue (ambient temps were cold though 30-40°F). My complaint is that there is a lot of noise transmitted through the shifter during moderate to heavy acceleration. It’s not a “buzz” or even a “rattle” more like a loud, rapid, clicking sound that I can mute some if I keep a death grip on the shifter but I can still feel it in my hand. Also, I haven’t done the anti-venom mod yet so I know I can ease the effort to engage a gear but I don’t think that will ease the side-to-side effort to change gates. Bottom line is I would like to try your newer design shifter assuming it would resolve my issues. Let’s make a deal!
Terry
i don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but it sounds like your transmission or drive line may have problems. The T 56 tranny's are amazing and can operate very well with a few internal problems. And the way GM sets up there shifter, it hides a lot of marginal tranny problems or other drive line problems from your rear end and or your drive shaft.

I bet the new MGW shifter will be better but you will probably still have some vibration.

I do love my old MGW and there are no vibrations AND SHIFTS LIKE A BOLT ACTION RIFLE! LUV IT!!!!!

PS of course i have gone through my whole driveline

was a pain in the ***
Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 AM
dadsturn
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by dadsturn
ordered mine today. Already have the ****. Switching from the stock cut down to this. Should be night and day from what i have heard.
WELL.............AHHHHHH......installed last night and all i can say is :s teering:

this shifter is unbelieveable! I found myself second guessing that it was truely in gear, couldnt believe how accuratly the shifter put itself into gear, no longer do i have to place it, or find it in 3rd, 5th.
It feels like you are working a finely machined piece of machinery with no tolerance for slop. And i used to think that the hurst competition plus was a good shifter.......this my friends is a work of art!

There is no vibration, no rattle, no more popping out of first, i can now move my seat closer to the wheel due to the throw being maximum of 3" not 6-8". Neutral gate is appr. 1-1.25".

If you dont have one..GET ONE!

Last edited by dadsturn; 02-24-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: forgot to add..
Old 02-24-2009, 09:58 AM
roll4speed
Instructor

Installed mine about 2 weeks ago. LOVE IT! No-brainer mod. Do it!

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ok final word and update on mgw shifter please read if interested>>>>