Sponsored by:

Shocking news for owners/potential owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I bought my '04 0n E-bay in '07 with 30k miles for $27.5, the car stickered at $53K. I paid a perfect price depreciation wise. When I was a fleet manager, I realized and replaced my fleet at 3 years and 45K miles. I got 50% of purchase value back. If the car went over 50K miles, the value decreased substantially. If clean C-5's are going to be worth $12.5 retail next year, it might be time to pick up the wife a nice A-4 Rag Top. I'll take all the devalued 'Vettes I can that deliver 32mpg HWY and are a gas to drive. Like my Colt collection, my 'Vette (s) aren't going anywhere!

John
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you wait until Jan 2010 and pick up one of those $12,000 2004's.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by MSG C5
What I find so funny is that this is all relative. Many people in my neighborhood think that my depreciated 2004 Corvette convertible is a luxery item during these hard times. However, these same people are driving around in a $65K SUV or import.
So true.

I bought my current Corvette (and the one before it) because ever since I was a little boy, I always said to myself that when I was old enough and in a position to buy one, I would.

I daily drive my Vette, because life is short (Operation Desert Storm and two tours in Iraq make you realize this) and I want to enjoy my car.

As much as love my ride, it is just a car that will one day be replaced (but hopefully, not for a long time). Again, its just a car. I'm keeping it well after its paid for so I care not how much it will be worth now or 10 years from now.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Marcs c5
Racer

my car was a 4 yrs old when i bought it. I just think of the loss the first owner took on it and make me smile knowing my loss won't be near as much! I can enjoy it and drive it without worry.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:35 AM
tr911
Instructor

Default Barrett-Jackson

I've been watching Barrett-Jackson on Speed TV channel and a 1990 ZR1 sold for $137000.00. THere are several other vettes that sold for over what I thought they were worth, but it is good for my economy..

Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM
HillcountryMac
Advanced

They had 2008 Chevy Siverado Lt1 extended cabs in the San Antonio paper (window sticker28,995 for 18,995.How would you feel if you bought one in June? Point is what's going to happen will and if you are that scared then don't buy.The economy effects the prices of everything,that's why it's called the economy.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM
grayfox2424
Racer

There already been several sales on and off auction sites for c5 cars as low as $8500...and that is private owner prices..dealer auction prices have been so low that many sellers have pulled cars from dealer whole sale auction sites due to low or non interest. Other cars are just as bad off..saw a 2006 Nisson 350Z convert sell for $11,500 and it was low miles like new.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 601 Likes on 317 Posts

I looked at the entire purchase price, as well as any mod costs as a total write off. The car is a "toy" and if I were to lose 100% on it, so be it. It's about enjoying the car, not recouping value when I'm done with it. That being said, I'm sure the car will never be worth $0, even if I totaled it and the insurance didn't cover it for some reason. Parts alone make it worth something. Look at mid 70's C3's (75/76/77). They bottomed out around $3K for a rough one (running, non-wrecked, complete car) a few years ago and they are coming back a little now and early C4's did the same.

The point is, if you are looking for maximum return on a car you will always be disappointed. Only collector cars are going to maintain value. If you are looking for least depreciation on a daily driver you might want to look at a Toyota or something. If you are looking for maximum bang for the buck, performance wise and smile factor, it's hard to go wrong with a good C5!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Tom Keitzer
Instructor

Guess you shouldn't but a Vette or anything else for that matter. Your input sure wouldn't stop me!!!!!!! Bought my C5 vert last February and just love it. Don't give a flying f*** what it may have depreciated to. Would do at all over again. And again. And again. There's just something very special about driving a Vette vert. Perhaps you should look into buying gold instead. Might be more enjoyable for you.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:42 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please do not post if you are not following thread

Okay why am I getting repeated comments like "buy collector's car or gold for investment"?

I CLEARLY stated I'm not looking for an investment.

(1) The idea that it'll depreciate $8K is out the window by this point, please read other posts.

(2) My concern was if I buy a car now it'll lose $8K in 1 year, I might as well wait 1 year. It's not a concern as far as investment goes. I'm looking for a "toy" on the weekend. I understand prices very well. I know wholesale prices and I'm in no denial about any car's depreciation.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Mr. Couper
Intermediate

I think you just want just want a cheap vette that really doesnt mean much to you. How long have you been looking and still cant find one? I am in the market and already have a deal- took me two weeks. is it the best price from others? no, but it is the one I want and will be more than happy with it because i love the color and has what I want. I will not settle on a car that i dont want because I got a good bargain on it- thats like settling on a girl that.... you get the pic. If you plan on only having it for a year, then it is not for you. anything you buy is going to depreciate greatly in one year. If you were serious about buying one, then you would have had one already since there have been great deals on the board. Please dont take this as an attack, but i see you posting what all these cars are going for, but then why cant one fall into your lap or cant pull the trigger. If you really wanted one you would have had it in your price range already- I knew what my price range was and found the best one I could at that price. Please buy one already. you never know- if the market shoots up next year and you wait-- then we have to read all your new posts on how you should of bought one last year when the market was bad.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by karateboi87
Okay why am I getting repeated comments like "buy collector's car or gold for investment"?

I CLEARLY stated I'm not looking for an investment.

(1) The idea that it'll depreciate $8K is out the window by this point, please read other posts.

(2) My concern was if I buy a car now it'll lose $8K in 1 year, I might as well wait 1 year. It's not a concern as far as investment goes. I'm looking for a "toy" on the weekend. I understand prices very well. I know wholesale prices and I'm in no denial about any car's depreciation.
I think what's happened and why you are getting some stick is most of us did not obsess that much. Keep it simple -- find, buy and drive.

In my case it took 4 months but only because for the first three I felt I had to get my C4 sold. That was tough because it was worth more than most high mileage Vettes -- very good shape but a lot of folks don't even look. Finally I said WTF and from there it took about a month to be driving a C5 I am thrilled with at a fair price.

I kept it low key. Had a $15K budget and scoured EBAY, CraigsList, Autotrader, Cars and the Forum. Wound up doing an EBAY deal after lots of pix and a couple discussions with the seller (it was his 10th Vette -- I trust enthusiasts way more than I would a dealer). Best part is a week later I got nearly my price for the C4 from a guy who even more trusting than me (wired me $8K with NO TEST DRIVE and NO INSPECTION ). He's thrilled too...

BTW my C4 buy 4 years ago was VERY impulsive -- first Vette I ever drove and deal done based on one test drive and my "gut" feeling about the seller. This approach has worked for 95% of the used cars I've bought over the last 25 years and saves a lot of worry...amazingly, the one time I got really ripped off was a clergyman! (not my faith, though )

C'mon, roll the dice already...
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by Argent C5
I think what's happened and why you are getting some stick is most of us did not obsess that much. Keep it simple -- find, buy and drive.

In my case it took 4 months but only because for the first three I felt I had to get my C4 sold. That was tough because it was worth more than most high mileage Vettes -- very good shape but a lot of folks don't even look. Finally I said WTF and from there it took about a month to be driving a C5 I am thrilled with at a fair price.

I kept it low key. Had a $15K budget and scoured EBAY, CraigsList, Autotrader, Cars and the Forum. Wound up doing an EBAY deal after lots of pix and a couple discussions with the seller (it was his 10th Vette -- I trust enthusiasts way more than I would a dealer). Best part is a week later I got nearly my price for the C4 from a guy who even more trusting than me (wired me $8K with NO TEST DRIVE and NO INSPECTION ). He's thrilled too...

BTW my C4 buy 4 years ago was VERY impulsive -- first Vette I ever drove and deal done based on one test drive and my "gut" feeling about the seller. This approach has worked for 95% of the used cars I've bought over the last 25 years and saves a lot of worry...amazingly, the one time I got really ripped off was a clergyman! (not my faith, though )

C'mon, roll the dice already...
Oh I'm doing a lot of e-mailing and surfing. My family thinks I'm crazy as I spend literally hours per day on the forum and other places "hunting". My cash is ready. Just need to find the right one!

I thought about buying e-bay too but most of them are from dealers.. not trustworthy people. One guy tried to claim a "no reserve" sale but clearly he made some fake accounts and bumped it up at the end. It was like a brand new account with no feedback and it KEPT bidding up to what I think is the bottom line price for the dealer. Needless to say it's likely the dealer is lying more than just about that. Who knows what kinda cars these are? If I do see the right deal I'll buy an inspection though.

Too many good deals around, there's no reason to over pay, especially for a toy. Might as well buy the right one the first time.

Hook me up if you see anything nice.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey bro,it seems like the only people who are complaining about these cars being over priced/people are asking too much are the people who do not have a C5.
I thought all vettes were over priced when I didn't have on either. These are not your everyday cars they kind of are considered an American exotic or a Premium car. My car is 8 years old and I still have people coming up to me asking if it's new or other similar comments.
I bought my 01 C5 auto, one yaer ago from Car Max with 31K miles for 24,100. I thought it was a great price then and til this day I still think I got a good price. I love my car and especially these days when I got layed off and having a few other major problems in my life. My vette is one of the few things that makes me happy at this time, I love to take the top off and just drive.
Some are over priced, but alot are priced fairly. People quit complaining about how expensive they are and just save up and buy one.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Nubain
Hey bro,it seems like the only people who are complaining about these cars being over priced/people are asking too much are the people who do not have a C5.
I thought all vettes were over priced when I didn't have on either. These are not your everyday cars they kind of are considered an American exotic or a Premium car. My car is 8 years old and I still have people coming up to me asking if it's new or other similar comments.
I bought my 01 C5 auto, one yaer ago from Car Max with 31K miles for 24,100. I thought it was a great price then and til this day I still think I got a good price. I love my car and especially these days when I got layed off and having a few other major problems in my life. My vette is one of the few things that makes me happy at this time, I love to take the top off and just drive.
Some are over priced, but alot are priced fairly. People quit complaining about how expensive they are and just save up and buy one.
???

I'm not complaining about them being expensive in general... I found plenty of good deals. This thread was about the depreciation.. not price.

I have enough to buy one.. just looking for the right one. If it's over priced, I just skip it and move to the next one. By over priced I mean for the same vehicle, the price is significantly higher. For example, there's a dealer wanting $24K for an 04 with 65K miles. Everyone who has been in the market knows that is clearly a rip off. If they want to sell it (to someone other than some sucker) they'll price it accordingly.

I'm not sure if you were referring to me as one of "those people", but either way I'm not. There are some people recently that just posts useless comments on people's for sale threads, typically about prices. I think you're talking about them?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Torch Red Tulsan
Pro

In all your searching for cars that are far away, don't hesitate to jump on the forum and ask a local member (or a few locals) to go check it out for you. I see it all the time and you'll more often than not get an experienced opinion back. There are tons of members on here who are more than willing to help someone get into a Vette
Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torch Red Tulsan
In all your searching for cars that are far away, don't hesitate to jump on the forum and ask a local member (or a few locals) to go check it out for you. I see it all the time and you'll more often than not get an experienced opinion back. There are tons of members on here who are more than willing to help someone get into a Vette
I tried for one car.. it didn't really happen lol. I know there're a lot of helpful people but sometimes I'm sure they're busy too.

Get notified of new replies

To Shocking news for owners/potential owners

Old 01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I recently went toi buy a new car (non-vette) and was thinking of trading in my other non-vette DD. When I saw what they offered me, I was shocked as well. However after talking to an old friend in the car business I felt better.

Here is what he told me:

Your car is only worth $xx,xxx.xx if you sell it for $xx,xxx.xx

At first I was like duh....but then I thought about it. He's right. If you have a vette that's worth 12k and you won't sell it for 12k....is it really worth 12k? Now extrapolate that to the entire population of vettes. If no one is willing to sell at the "book" price, then is that the true value?

BTW now I have two DD.

Last edited by jedblanks; 01-16-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM
Shinyredone
Advanced

If its already been mentioned I appoligize for re-stating but, given the state of the current economy in general and possibly more important, the financial status of GM. Although, if GM goes belly up, and I don't think they will, but would that drive the prices up? I have a 2001 Vert, I've had it for almost 6 years, I don't really care what its worth because I have no plans of selling for now.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:41 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Wait 12 months and then buy one.

Quick Reply: Shocking news for owners/potential owners