Sponsored by:

MILLENIUM YELLOW guys/painters paint ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
zackz28
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MILLENIUM YELLOW guys/painters paint ?'s

I put this on the c6 side but there is more c5 guys with this paint and maybe this is a better spot for it so please advise.

Ok my front bumper cover has to be replaced. Its 05 millenium yellow! My question is the two shops I have had look at it say its no problem and my insurance says the repairs are guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I know factory uses Dupont, but one shop only uses PPG and said something about having to blend the old paint to match the new front and the other shop uses Sikkens and didnt say alot about getting it to match but this was a large gm dealer shop. Its my understanding please correct me if im wrong that to match Millenium Yellow correctly you have a bright white base, the yellow tint then a yellow tint clear. Should I insist on dupont paint? It must be a perfect match in my opinion.

Also I have the clear top and it has a scratch cut in it about 2 inchs long, the shops have told me it wasnt major and they could repair it like new, Is this possible with clear tinted top?

The shops are blue ribbon repair shops that my insurance suggest, should i request a insurance adjuster take a look and demand for a proper repair from a more qualified shop that uses dupont paints? im in a small town in western NC and not alot to choose from but not against a small road trip to get it done right!

All suggestions welcome.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Iron Chef
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09
CI 8-9-10 Veteran

Hmmmm...if you own a C6, you have Velocity Yellow which is less "orange" than Millenium Yellow, but that shouldn't really matter.

I have Millenium Yellow and you need to understand that is isn't a "paint" in the traditional sense. It's a white base with a yellow tintcoat over it, and it can be very tricky to match. I had my front end run over by a pickup (long story) and I took it to the dealership that does a lot of work for our Corvette Club. They did a spectacular job on it.

Ask a lot of questions about matching paint. Ask if the body man has a lot of experience with Millenium Yellow.

Also...be cautious about getting a remanufactured bumper covers. Insurance companies typically use reman covers to save money. My body shop used a new cover and accepted the amount that the insurance company reimbursed him for it. Probably lost a few $$$ but I got a new part on my front end.

Good luck.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Torch FRC
Safety Car

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

PPG is a much better product than dupont. You need to speak with the owner of wich ever shop you take it to and make sure he gives a damn about your satisfaction. If you do not let him know youre picky, they may not ensure the proper match, gaps, smooth finish etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:26 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zackz28
I put this on the c6 side but there is more c5 guys with this paint and maybe this is a better spot for it so please advise.

Ok my front bumper cover has to be replaced. Its 05 millenium yellow! My question is the two shops I have had look at it say its no problem and my insurance says the repairs are guaranteed for as long as I own the car. I know factory uses Dupont, but one shop only uses PPG and said something about having to blend the old paint to match the new front and the other shop uses Sikkens and didnt say alot about getting it to match but this was a large gm dealer shop. Its my understanding please correct me if im wrong that to match Millenium Yellow correctly you have a bright white base, the yellow tint then a yellow tint clear. Should I insist on dupont paint? It must be a perfect match in my opinion.
Does not matter it wont be a perfect match. I have three shades of dupont Millennium yellow on my car to two partial paint jobs. Both MUST be blended to get close.
The two different shops say they must blend to get close. PLUS any wax will kill the blending process and not match. Close, but not match

The only way for a perfect match is to have the whole car painted.

Now some shops will say they can match, and they might be able too.

On my car it is hard to see the differences. But in some lights it is some what visible.

Good Luck
Old 01-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
Hmmmm...if you own a C6, you have Velocity Yellow
2005 C6s still used Millennium Yellow.

Velocity Yellow was introduced in 2006.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Mill yellow was on C5's only I thought. When I had my 02 Mill Yellow it was hit in back by a ricer. I have to say the dealer where I bought it from did a great job ! In any light it looked perfect.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:08 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Good luck with whatever you use. I had a nightmare of a time painting this double din bezel in MY.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:33 PM
jayzze
Racer

i have had ppg mil yellow done on after market hood and another time on a tiger shark nose and the shop did an excellent joband i have seen dealers work leave it to green it depends on the shop whos doing the work
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM
zackz28
Advanced

Thanks guys alot of good information, im really dreading this paint work.

Get notified of new replies

To MILLENIUM YELLOW guys/painters paint ?'s

Quick Reply: MILLENIUM YELLOW guys/painters paint ?'s