Sponsored by:

[Z06] Short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:43 AM
NicksZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shifter

I bought the car with several mods and always suspected that the shifter has been swapped. Now is the shifter height on a c5 the same as a z06? I buddy swears his c5 shifter is a lot taller. My z06 has the stock shifter **** but he continues to say is it shorter.

Without taking the console apart is there any way of knowing?
Old 12-22-2008, 01:04 AM
Conflicted
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C5 Vette and Z06 both have the same shifter from the factory and as far as I know, you can install the stock shift **** on any after market short throw shifter. An after market shifter will be a little shorter than stock, but I'm sure the height of each is a little different (company to company).

I remember my short throw feeling more stiff, but that's all relative. My short throw has been installed for about 4.5 years now, so I don't remember the feel of the stock shifter to quantify that statement.

Sit in both cars and try them out. You should be able to tell if they feel the same or not. Worst case, pull the shift boots.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:07 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

The stock shifter could have been cut off to make it shorter, or you could have an aftermarket shifter.
If you have an aftermarket shifter, you can tell by feeling through the boot. If the diameter increases to over an inch below the ****, then it is probably the stock shifter.
If the shaft is about the same diameter all the way down, probably aftermarket.
If you want to determine exactly what brand of shifter is installed without removing the console, you can carefully press the boot retaining ring inward until it releases. Then you can slide the boot up where you can see the shifter base.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Remove the boot carefully and take some images. Be careful you don't damage the plastic trim ring at the base of the boot. Just pull the boot up over the ****. You don't need to remove the **** (oem?) and "demon pin" retention.
Someone will be able to identify the shifter from the lever or "tower" part which will be visible with clear images.
If the shifter looks like it's constructed of stamped metal, chances are it's an oem shifter, either C5/Z06 or C6/Z06.
If it's billet, it's after market.
Identification by feeling through the boot might provide some insight, but the B&M "Sport" will feel the same as the oem shifter using that procedure. Both use rubber isolation on the lever to damage noise/vibrations.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-23-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

As a start, here is a Hurst shifter compared to the stock shifter.

As you can see, the shaft diameter is a dead give away for the stock shifter. You can check that without even removing the boot.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:01 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

It would be a nice reference if someone had side by side images of all the popular shifters, oem and aftermarket...
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
It would be a nice reference if someone had side by side images of all the popular shifters, oem and aftermarket...
As often as people seem to swap shifters, there has to be someone that has them ALL!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

That was my thinking...

Get notified of new replies

To Short shifter

Quick Reply: [Z06] Short shifter