Sponsored by:

Does Seafoam really work???

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 02:27 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Seafoam really work???

OK, so people have been talking about this stuff like its the second coming or something!

Since you fine folks in this forum are extremely knowledgeable about C5's, i'd really like to know if this stuff would really work to clean out the carbon buildup in my Z without any consequences whatsoever.

Thanks again for your input, and looking forward to the responses!!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

It's awesome. Do a search on youtube and you'll see how it works.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:59 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ryan L
It's awesome. Do a search on youtube and you'll see how it works.
Thanks Ryan.

I'm still pretty skeptical of this stuff.....I mean, how many corvette owners have seen the excellent results claimed firsthand after using it? I'm one of those people who doesnt believe of a 'fix it in a can', so I am very very hesitant to put this stuff into my baby.

Also, what will the long term affects be? Is it safe for the gaskets, engine internals, and O2 sensors? $6.99 to clean the entire top end of my engine just doesnt sound right to me at all......

Last edited by LS6Beachbum; 12-19-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

seafoam, has been around a looong time. i used it in the late eightys in boats because the price was a lot cheaper than stabil. it got popular when napa started selling it and took off from there. i still use it in my boats for storage and also my vette when stored without any problems what so ever. my friends with small block cars who have vapor lock issues like it too. as far as injector cars, i don't see how it would hurt anything. actually the manufacturer who recommended it to me years ago was mercruiser....good luck
Old 12-19-2008, 03:10 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It is safe and will not hurt anything. I use it on everything I have
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

It's not really a 'Corvette thing.' Seafoam has been around for years and a Corvette has a combustion engine, just like everything else. I use it on all my vehicles every 25k miles or so with great results (trucks, cars, whatever.) It cheaper to use an $8 can of Seafoam than paying a lube shop $50 to do the same thing.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

It's not really a 'Corvette thing.' Seafoam has been around for years and a Corvette has a combustion engine, just like everything else. I use it on all my vehicles every 25k miles or so with great results (trucks, cars, whatever.) It cheaper to use an $8 can of Seafoam than paying a lube shop $50 to do the same thing.
Seafoam is also very popular with motorcycle owners, as a good preventative maintenance technique, to add a few ozs. in the fuel tank every couple of months.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:22 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

OK, so the next logical question is: where the heck do I put it in?

Thank you for ALL of your input, gents! I really love this forum and all of the knowledge you folks share!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. So does StaBil. I prefer StaBil.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:52 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Yes. So does StaBil. I prefer StaBil.
Is there a reason you prefer StaBil instead?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I agree with adding it to the fuel every so often but I wonder about using it through the vacuum lines to clean out oil build up in the throttle body and intake caused from the PCV. Has anyone ever used this method and then opened up the throttle body and intake to see if it was actually cleaned? Sure there is a ton of white smoke coming out the exhaust but that doesn't really prove anything has actually been cleaned.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:02 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used SeaFoam for the last 10 -15 years, I add a can to a full tank of gas for my vehicles. For my mowers etc. I use about 1/3 can per my 6 gal gas cans.

Several years ago, I purchased a used '88 Cutlass from my folks, for Dad had purchased a new Buick. Car was little sluggish so I put on new plugs / wires, etc ........ improved but not as good as I hoped. Then thinking maybe it had some dirty injectors ...... I put in 2 cans of Seafoam and ran it through a tank of gas ...... made a difference.

You can hook it up to one fo the vacuum lines (I haven't done it) and run it straight ..... your exhaust will smoke to beat h-ll, direct injector cleaning. It does work

Use it as part of your maintenance schedule.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:28 PM
donkelso
Instructor

I don't doubt that it is an effective fuel system cleaner, but I am skeptical about removal of carbon from combustion chambers. I pulled my heads to replace cam and lifters and soaked the combustion chambers in seafoam for about a half hour. It had minimal effect on stripping the carbon until I used a wire brush.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Bingo
Old 12-19-2008, 05:00 PM
gleds
Racer

i have fed it through the vacuum lines off my cars for years. If it has never been done and the car has 50k+ miles on it you will fee a difference. find a vacuum line as close to the tb as possible. its best to have help on this as you need someone in the car to keep the throttle at 2k rpm or so so it doesnt die. stick the line in the SF or use a funnel and slowly administer the SF until 1/2 can is gone. while you are feeding it into the engine and reach this half way point have your friend in the car kill the engine while it is still sucking it up until the motor stops. it may diesel for a few seconds. thats ok.

Let is sit for about 1-2 hours like this (engine stopped). Start it up after in a well ventilated area and get ready for a show. Your exhaust will smoke like a freight train. Your neighbors will think you are totally insane.

When you start it up rev it up. i get the best results when i vary rpm after start up.

Problems: if you currently have a very large amount of carbon build up the seafoam will wash a lot of it away, but if you have cats it may stop there possibly choking the cats up. If you have long tubes and cats just unbolt the x pipe and run straight headers. If the smoke alone wont get attention i am sure this will help!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Foxman86
Racer

so there is no harm to killing the engine then while its still sucking it up and letting it sit for a few hours?
Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

great stuff , i use it in every motor i own , BECAUSE IT WORKS !

Get notified of new replies

To Does Seafoam really work???

Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

Wow! This is excellent news to see quite a few of you having great experiences with it.

I truly do appreciate each and every one of your opinions on this!!

I'll be buying myself a can today!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:48 PM
LS6Beachbum
Advanced

Originally Posted by gleds
i have fed it through the vacuum lines off my cars for years. If it has never been done and the car has 50k+ miles on it you will fee a difference. find a vacuum line as close to the tb as possible.
Sorry to sound stupid here, but what is the tb?

its best to have help on this as you need someone in the car to keep the throttle at 2k rpm or so so it doesnt die. stick the line in the SF or use a funnel and slowly administer the SF until 1/2 can is gone. while you are feeding it into the engine and reach this half way point have your friend in the car kill the engine while it is still sucking it up until the motor stops. it may diesel for a few seconds. thats ok.

Let is sit for about 1-2 hours like this (engine stopped). Start it up after in a well ventilated area and get ready for a show. Your exhaust will smoke like a freight train. Your neighbors will think you are totally insane.

When you start it up rev it up. i get the best results when i vary rpm after start up.

Problems: if you currently have a very large amount of carbon build up the seafoam will wash a lot of it away, but if you have cats it may stop there possibly choking the cats up. If you have long tubes and cats just unbolt the x pipe and run straight headers. If the smoke alone wont get attention i am sure this will help!

Yep, the neighbors are going to LOVE me doing this.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 PM
CleteZ16
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LS6Beachbum
OK, so the next logical question is: where the heck do I put it in?
It can be "put in" lots of places.

This thread was the first I've heard of Seafoam, and it took me 10 seconds to find this:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

Quick Reply: Does Seafoam really work???