Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Blackwing installed, air duct doesn't fit flush on the radiator cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default With Blackwing installed, air duct doesn't fit flush on the radiator cover?

I had a Blackwing on my FRC at one time, sold it, and installed a Vararam. I just picked up an '01 coupe to use as a daily driver. It currently has a Blackwing installed. On both cars, with a Blackwing installed, the air duct will not fit down tight against the radiator cover. The result is that the raised C5 emblem on the air duct digs into the hood insulator when closed. Have others had this same experience? Is it just a design issue with Blackwing or have I just been unlucky, twice? Is there a simple way to make the Blackwing fit a little better? It's jammed in as far as it will go now.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you using an over sized air bridge by any chance? Are you using the oem accordian or an after market rigid silicone coupler at the throttle body? Are you using an after market silicone coupler down at the filter assembly?

I'll assume you're using the oem air bridge due to the emblem causing the problem on the hood insulator.

Loosen all of the clamped points and try more lateral adjustments with the air bridge grommets seated correctly onto the radiator cover TORX pegs. Also, make sure the filter assembly is seated on the TORX pegs as well.

Make minute adjustments towards the throttle body and towards the filter assembly with the air bridge and filter seated.

If that doesn't allow the air bridge to seat down better, you might have to trim the (silicone?) couplers a small amount. They're usually a little to long by about 1/4", but measure twice and cut once.

This is a common complaint with the "Blackwing"...some take issue with it, some ignore it.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-14-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:06 PM
EVs_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just installed a blackwing and have the same problem...tried all i could but felt i would break something if i tried to pull it over the grommets any harder. its in there pretty solid anyway so im not worried abt it
Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Hrdtop00
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Are you using an over sized air bridge by any chance? Are you using the oem accordian or an after market rigid silicone coupler at the throttle body? Are you using an after market silicone coupler down at the filter assembly?

I'll assume you're using the oem air bridge due to the emblem causing the problem on the hood insulator.

Loosen all of the clamped points and try more lateral adjustments with the air bridge grommets seated correctly onto the radiator cover TORX pegs. Also, make sure the filter assembly is seated on the TORX pegs as well.

Make minute adjustments towards the throttle body and towards the filter assembly with the air bridge and filter seated.

If that doesn't allow the air bridge to seat down better, you might have to trim the (silicone?) couplers a small amount. They're usually a little to long by about 1/4", but measure twice and cut once.

This is a common complaint with the "Blackwing"...some take issue with it, some ignore it.
I have the OEM air bridge but the smooth silicone coupler at the throttle body. It's in place really tight so I'm not worried about movement. I just want to lower it so it doesn't dig into the hood insulator.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

I had some fitment issues as well. I trimmed the coupler a bit and things just didn't seem right, so I went to my "vette mechanic" and they made a few quick adjustments, replaced a missing rubber grommet and when I left there it was on perfectly, and it's been a couple weeks now with no movement or issues. Good Luck.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:55 PM
catch06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the issue, and reinstalled, not sure what I did differently, but do not have the issue now.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Hrdtop00
I have the OEM air bridge but the smooth silicone coupler at the throttle body. It's in place really tight so I'm not worried about movement. I just want to lower it so it doesn't dig into the hood insulator.
You should be able to trim just a little of the silicone coupler then. I found that the rigid silicone coupler that I originally bought caused this same issue you have.
Even with trimming just 1/4", it allowed the air bridge to seat down closer on the radiator cover. Not perfect, but closer.
Maybe this is why GM used the accordion coupler. It allows for flexibility in all directions.
SLP sells another coupler which allows for more flexibility. It's also silicone, but has a bump in the middle. They cost just over $50, but you can frequently find them on EBAY and occasionally used in the CF classified forum...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-14-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

I found I could get it lower by just loosening the various screws and taking up all the slack in the joints. Problem I have is everytime I have some work done on the car I have to reset everything as the techs can't seem to get the air cleaner back in the same place I had it.

Bill
Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I didn't have that issue

Hopeit works out for ya
Old 12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,439 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Maybe I just got lucky when I installed the Blackwing on my last C5, but I never had any fitment issues. Not sure what you can do but just try to reinstall and make sure the air bridge fits down a far as it can on the grommets on the top radiator support.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Aligning the airbridge duct can be a challenge so take your time to carefully press the MAF firmly onto the Blackwing and tighten the clamp. This is important so that the grommets at the top of the radiator cover line up so that the airbridge fits like it did with the factory stock airbox. Once you have it all together, put the grommets in the Blackwing. (Using silicon spray on the rubber grommets and frame posts will make the assembly easier.) Next press the entire unit onto the posts in the frame. Then it's just a matter of pressing the airbridge into place and installing the coupler. Works every time.

I have had Blackwings on two of my C5's and never had any fitment issues.

Installation instructions:

http://97vette.com/howto/blackwing/index.html
Old 12-14-2008, 11:45 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Airbridge Fitment

Originally Posted by hotwheels57

Gents, & Ladies too
I have the same problem with my Halltech Stinger, I've spent the last 3 years dicking with it and have just now come to the conclusion it's not the airbridge it's the Filter..... The filter is too thick and wont lay down far enough on the plastic air dam that deflects the air into the radiator from below.
I don't have a fix yet but maybe someone can come up with a suggestion to somehow make a recess in the air dam for the filter to nestle into, thus lowering the airbridge back down on top of the radiator cover.
What do you think?
mrgil
Old 12-14-2008, 11:57 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues with mine.Just get it snug against the grommets
Old 12-15-2008, 12:31 AM
mellowyellow01vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrgil
Gents, & Ladies too
I have the same problem with my Halltech Stinger, I've spent the last 3 years dicking with it and have just now come to the conclusion it's not the airbridge it's the Filter..... The filter is too thick and wont lay down far enough on the plastic air dam that deflects the air into the radiator from below.
I don't have a fix yet but maybe someone can come up with a suggestion to somehow make a recess in the air dam for the filter to nestle into, thus lowering the airbridge back down on top of the radiator cover.
What do you think?
mrgil
Cut the plastic air dam to allow the filter to sit in the cutout, this allows for a better fit, but more importantly, the cut-out allows for cool/fresh air to enter the filter.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:44 AM
dankhts
Safety Car

Received 326 Likes on 203 Posts

A bit of a tight fitment issue with mine as well, all I did was to ob-long the holes in the air bridge a bit and it fits flush now.....

Get notified of new replies

To With Blackwing installed, air duct doesn't fit flush on the radiator cover?

Quick Reply: With Blackwing installed, air duct doesn't fit flush on the radiator cover?