Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This car is REALLY starting to frustrate me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just turned 30k on my '04. Almost no issues at all. Knock on my woody...
Old 12-10-2008, 10:26 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the so called superior foreign makes had zero problems with their products they wouldnt need service depts would they???
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Matth3w
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Less problems overall.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Matth3w
Less problems overall.
Thats a matter of opinion. Maybe you should sell your Vette and buy a Honda? Then maybe you would be Happy.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Matth3w
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Bill K
Thats a matter of opinion. Maybe you should sell your Vette and buy a Honda? Then maybe you would be Happy.

Read the first post.

And it's not a matter of opinion. Foreign cars have less problems per 100 cars than American. Someone posted the data in PRC in one of the countless Big 3 threads.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't get enough money for my car to make it worth trading in, or I would get something newer.
Sad but true, yet I'm here with you on this one man.

Read the first post.

And it's not a matter of opinion. Foreign cars have less problems per 100 cars than American. Someone posted the data in PRC in one of the countless Big 3 threads.
And they do run for ever too.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:29 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I know I would be pissed and never buy GM again IF I paid 60 grand for a Vette and had ANY of the common problems they have. More problems than most cars in my opinion. Each make and model always have some common problems that the dealers deny.

It's your choice to waste your money paying someone to do your work for you. Me? Everything that's gone wrong for me has gone wrong for many here. I read and do my own repairs. Normal maintenance for me. I haven't failed to find the solution to my problems yet.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:44 AM
homewrecker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish there was a forum that addresses these problems
Old 12-11-2008, 02:57 AM
bgreen83
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try running a bottle of chevron techron fuel system cleaner when you fill up.

People have to remember these cars are 5-11 years old. That's a long time for a car. These are sports cars that are made to run with some of the higher priced sports cars. Of course they aren't going to have the best quality parts. If they did you would be paying for it of course. I have had my vette for a while and I haven't had any problems like this. I wish you the best to get them fixed. I hear ferraris and lambos break down as well but those cost an arm and a leg to get fixed.

So should I try Seafoaming the gas tank to try to help out the CEL problem?
Old 12-11-2008, 03:06 AM
ZEEEEOOOOSIC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well lol what to say about this thread do your homework and learn dont whine step up or out
Old 12-11-2008, 03:41 AM
PUREFUN
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Easily all fixable problems without having to go to the dealership. When you have a problem with the vette just do a search or ask and you will find the answer to your problems here. Or buy a set of repair manuals. I would gladly trade the problems i have had with my vette to the problems you are having. LOL Let's see. Turbos rebuilt twice and a engine rebuild. But at the end of the day i wouldn't want any other car.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:24 AM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Default what about the STP gas treatment?

Originally Posted by sneakelman
It cleans the sulfur off the fuel sending unit and helps it perform correctly. A must to keep your fuel gauge working. Sea Foam works great too.
is the stp gas treatment that takes the water out of the tank just as good? as for known vette problems i just went threw the pains of trying to reseal and regasket all the leaks from the oil to the diffrenail fliud..it had to been done four times oover before it has stopped at leaset i hope its stopped. 22,000 miles on an 03! i think gm should go bankrupt and hire all new people as the ones they have now must have just double diget I.Q's! there not worth $5 an hour!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Read the first post.

Matt, you have a point. However, the Corvette (particularly the C5) is probably one of the most reliable sports cars out there.

Now I do feel your pain. My first Vette (a mag red 2001 vert) gave me nothing but headache. I replace a EBCM, speed sensor, A/C blower motor, and ETC in the 4 months that I had it

I looked at trading it for a C6 but cut a deal on the C5 Coupe I have now. So far, so good almost 3 years later. 50k + and no issues at all.

It really depends on the car and the previous owner of the car. Turned out after doing a Carfax on my old car that it was a fleet vehicle in Florida. No telling what was done to it although it ran strong when something wasn't going bonkers in it

Keep the faith, and hang in there. If you haven't done so, do a history on Carfax on your car. Take care!!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
jovette
Melting Slicks

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Only have experienced a couple of issues on my now 9 year old '00 Coupe with 25,000 miles, and I'm happy to deal with whatever issues, or problems it presents, rather than not have it and not drive it........... factor is much greater than my Camry daily driver/business car.

I say buck up and quit your complaining Matt. Your issues have been relatively minor, and can be easily solved / addressed. You need to look at life from the sunny side, and ease up on the negativity.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:13 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I still love my Corvette, so before I get the usual "You should own a Mustang or rice rocket" comments - just save your breath.

My newest strand in my string of troubles with this car is the every other day getting P0442 CEL. My gas cap is on tight and it's a new gas cap so likely there is another, much more expensive problem. And in my area, who do I have to take it to? The dealership.

This is my first American car, and I can see why American cars have a bad reputation. This car is supposed to be the epitome of American muscle and I never have it for more than a few weeks or month before it's back in the shop for something.

Here are some of my previous problems (some with cheap fixes, some not), most of which were present when the car only had 40k miles (sad):

- Both headlight motors (crappy plastic parts) went at different times. I think GM's fix to this well known problem was to create a new model Corvette.

- The lights on the climate control have mostly gone kaput. A known C5 problem.

- The trunk pop does not work properly 99.9% of the time. Another C5 common problem.

- The fuel gauge/DIC reads "RESERVE FUEL" randomly for periods of 1-5 minutes with 3/4+ tank of gas. Seems as if this is pretty common too.

- The leather is cracked no matter how you take care of it. You guessed it! Another known problem!

- The seat has "broken" where it gangsta leans back to the right (simple solution, thank God).

- The gas tank release button sometimes you have to mash it with hammer to get the thing to pop open.

I'm sure there are other things that I can't think of at the moment, but this is starting to drive me nuts. Does everyone else have all these problems????
Your problems are not that bad, just think if you owned a Ferrari, Masaratti, Lambo, Aston Martin, etc ... would be.

This will fix your trunk problem http://www.c5trunkpopper.com/

What leather is cracked & where ? I don't have any cracking and my car is a 2001.

Check you connections on the gas switch and that your release is greased.

Do a search on how to fix the HVAC, there's a guty that will fix it for like $30 bucks or so. You could have LED's installed and that will fix the problem.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM
vettestream
Racer

I think overall those problems are really not that big of a deal.. I have the occassional fuel sending problem, and my climate control lights are out...

but my car has 100,000 miles on it... 60+ tracks passes and absolutely no major problems at all..

its all how you look at it... yea the vette has some annoying problems... but they are easy and usually cheap to fix.. for a car that can run with cars 8+ years newer than it..
Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Default gaskets and seals leak

Originally Posted by robbyd831
if you wanted to buy a vette with no problems..u should have found one with low milage.

i bought my vette with 4,000 miles..i got almost 8,000 now.

no complaints...no problems here
the gaskets and seals leak from mile one because there bad from the factory, put your finger under the diffrenial plate...

Get notified of new replies

To This car is REALLY starting to frustrate me.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:39 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, I have a 2000 coupe. Purchases in Aug. '07 with 29K on it. It now has 58+K on it. I have had three problems - Leaky butt (fixed on 3rd try, finally), rocking seat - I did not fix. but I lowered the front (seems I am more comfy with it that way anyway) and problem went away, and the HVAC display has gone dark - works fine, just cannot see the numbers during the day time There are some great write-ups on how to fix. I just need to find the time. Other then that, I just drive it daily rain or shine to/from work or where ever.

I never use the twilight sentential or the auto exit features and basically once the stuff (seat, options, etc...) were set 1 year ago, they have not been moved so I am a little easy on those motors.

I am waiting for the gears (headlight) to go as I suspect that will happen sooner or later, especially with me driving in the dark daily.

Other then that, I just drive it.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:57 PM
jraschke11
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I am thinking...

GM could have just used top quality parts (gaskets, headlight motors, climate control display, sensors) from the get go and ate maybe 75%-80% of the cost themselves and passed just a little on to the consumer, and they would have saved themselves huge $$ in warranty repair.

Instead they insist on using garbage that they know for a fact will break now or later and just hope it breaks out of warranty.

There is a reason they are going bankrupt!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:01 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jraschke11
I am thinking...

GM could have just used top quality parts (gaskets, headlight motors, climate control display, sensors) from the get go and ate maybe 75%-80% of the cost themselves and passed just a little on to the consumer, and they would have saved themselves huge $$ in warranty repair.

Instead they insist on using garbage that they know for a fact will break now or later and just hope it breaks out of warranty.

There is a reason they are going bankrupt!
Your obviously mis-informed.

What gaskets have gone on your car ? The few problems that the C5 suffers from are minimal. Most people don't drive a corvette like they drive a honda or toyota, they are much harder on the car.

GM's trouble is not from warranty or poor parts, but from having too large of a dealer network and too many brands that compete with each other for the same customer.

Other than Cadillac, there should only be one other brand name "GM". Forget, Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Saturn, GM Truck, etc ....

The same goes for Ford. They all produce the same cars with different badging and interior / motor changes. They need to be like more like BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Porsche, etc ...

Same model with different upgrades, LX, DLX, ELX, etc....

Get rid of half of the dealer network to reduce their product cost and consolidate operations.

The best thing that could happen is that they file for bankruptcy and start closing operations down without all of the typical penalties associated with doing so.

Quick Reply: This car is REALLY starting to frustrate me.