Sponsored by:

c5 corvette for 16 yr old???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 corvette for 16 yr old???

Hi, im 16 and looking to get myself into a c5 vette, as every 16 yr old would love to do, i just want some suggestions on what to start out on auto, or manual?

and what the insurance rate would be. don't need anything specific just ball park it.

and how fast are the c5's?

my dad owns a c4, and its pretty fast but not fast enough.

let me know, thanks!

2000 vette convertable, 60k miles.

Last edited by motocross5625; 11-25-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
DevilMan02
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Be prepared to get a bunch of No's from the C5 crowd here. You just posted on a forum where the average age is 60 years old.

Real quick:

I was in your same situation. I'm 24 now. I got my first vette at 23, but I had wanted one for a very long long time and I'm sure a bunch of people on here would say I was 'too young' for that too.

The car is extremely fast. I'm not sure you're going to be able to handle it. Not that you can't handling steering the vehicle, but you don't have the experience to fight the temptation to gas it, do burn outs, etc. It's dangerous and could end up getting you or someone else killed. Plus I'm sure you're going to be experimenting with alcohol and drugs shortly if you haven't already. Again, bad combo.

You can find cheaper fast cars, like the last gen Camaros and Firebirds for like 13k. It's a better deal for you if you're forced to pay for it. If you're spoiled and get it for free like I did, then this won't matter much.

Go manual. Chicks dig it, and the idiots who know nothing about cars will say you should have got a manual...which can get pretty annoying. Autos make better drag racing cars, manuals are more fun.

Good luck. Do your own research, use the search function.

Buy a pickup truck to haul your motocross bike around.
<--- KTM 300 M/XC

Last edited by DevilMan02; 11-25-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

Sorry, but there is no 16 year old on the planet that should have a vette.
Any four cylinder is too fast for a 16 year old.
Check back in two years.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

haha thanks for the reply,

yeah im going to pay for it myself, and dont know one 16 yr old that has a c5, but have fun with yours!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:44 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

man you were right! i dont think anybody is going to agree with me!
Old 11-25-2008, 12:47 PM
vetteguy0483
Instructor

Dont listen to those people that say you shouldn't buy a vette right now. Im 16 and i purchased my vette in feb. I wouldn't have it any other way. Insurance is a little expensive but its worth it.

Last edited by vetteguy0483; 11-25-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

do you got a c5?

is that your yellow one in the pic?

looks sweet man, how do you like it?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When is it going to stop? Another "I don't have a Corvette yet" thread...... but how much do they cost, how much is insurance, I'm a good driver, I have a part time job that pays me much more than I'm worth per hour, my parents aren't buying the car for me I swear, I know the chicks will love me forever because I bought this car, should I buy a manual but I've never driven one......
Old 11-25-2008, 12:54 PM
DropTheTop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should start out with a nice beater. You might find out that you're one of those people who's a **** magnet for accidents. (I have a buddy that's one of those. He has been for 16 years of driving. I swear it doesn't matter how good he drives, someone has hit every one of his vehicles). Any way, drive a nice beater around for the first year or so. Insurance will be dirt cheap, and if it needs repairs, you won't need to get a first, second and third shift paper route! I'm just saying, find out what kind of driver you are first, then decide if a vette, it's payments, and it's maintenance are really for you (at such a young age, pre-college and career).
Old 11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, here's my view. Everyone is different, even at 16. I can not sit here and advise you one way or another, other than from my own experiences, because I do not know you.

If you can afford a C5, then who am I to tell you not to go buy one, but what I can tell you is that they are powerful enough to kill anyone, and posssibly take out others in the process. I would suggest that if you are serious about wanting a C5, then you owe it to yourself to take ownership seriously - one way to do that is to take high performance driving lessons, like are offered at several places, to substitute for your lack of driving experience.

I only say this as I really hate to read articles about younger people making what we'd all call bad decisions that result in serious injury and/or loss of life. At 16 I had a 1964 VW bug - I am sure I am here today because I did not have too much horsepower for my experience, but man, I could get that thing hauling 70 downhill with a tailwind!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Z28Johnny
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the average age is 60! I would guess around 35-40.

I agree that a 16 year old shouldn't have this car. I know not everyone is the same, but 16 year old boys tend to be too daring with the "I'm invincible" mentality. Your friends will push you to do things you shouldn't in it and you will have much higher than normal odds of hurting yourself or somebody else.

In my opinion (take it for what it's worth) a 16 year old needs to have a safe, roomy car to haul friends around it. Something like a Honda Accord. It takes years to become a safe driver and starting out in a car like this is just stupid. I can't believe your parents are letting you entertain the idea.

John
Old 11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
BrooklynC6
aka allbottle¬hrottle

Location: Brooklyn New York The DVL and the chicken sleep with the fishes....
St. Jude Donor '08

I got my first Vette ( 99 C5 ) when I was 19 .... go for it ... Insurance will suck , I think I was paying around 7 G's a year untill I was 21 . The car is fast but not crazy fast by todays standards (unless you get a Z06), a Bimmer 335 or SRT from Chrysler/Dodge will give you a run for your money . My first Vette was an auto , but it doesnt really matter , its personal preferance .

Just drive it carefully , especially in the cold weather , and NEVER in the snow - and you will be fine .
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
vetteguy0483
Instructor

Originally Posted by motocross5625
do you got a c5?

is that your yellow one in the pic?

looks sweet man, how do you like it?
I love it. You just cant listen to the haters though. And be prepared to deal with a lot of cops. Make sure that the car you buy is 100% legal. I got blackouts and its slammed past the legal limit. The cops love to pull over a 16 year old with a vette.

Last edited by vetteguy0483; 11-25-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

thanks for all the responses guys, just to let some of you know,

i do know how to drive a manual!
and i baby everything i have, i offer to wash my neighbors car for free just because i cant stand to see it dirty! and will not, do something just because my friends push me to do it.

im not going to be cocky and say im a good driver ,im only 16, i have a lot to learn,

but i have been driving daily, a 2007 jaguar xkr, a c4 vette, and a 2007 Aprilia sxv550. id say that i have some driving experience. and id also say that i am very lucky that my parents would trust me with their cars. (i own the bike though)

not trying to act like a tough guy but just to let you guys know.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Maturity has little to do with chronological age...look at some of the posts/replies in OT and C5 General.
That said, at age 16 do you really want/need to be tied down to a car payment and insurance for several years?
And if your parents are going to buy it for you, will you really appreciate it as much as achieving it yourself?
You might consider other options for now...continue dreaming, working and saving to complete your goal.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 11-25-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
motocross5625
Heel & Toe

that cool man, i see that you live in bakersfield, i live in porterville, maybe once i get it we can drive around and make all of the old people mad!

and be prepared to listen to lectures on how spoiled we are, and we shouldn't be driving a car like that!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah to be that young again LOL. I got mine when I was 24, and I suggest if you can get it. GO FOR IT. Just don't be too immature it in. At least don't let the older crowd here know LOL.

-Alex

Get notified of new replies

To c5 corvette for 16 yr old???

Old 11-25-2008, 01:14 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksedan87

When is it going to stop? Another "I don't have a Corvette yet" thread...... but how much do they cost, how much is insurance, I'm a good driver, I have a part time job that pays me much more than I'm worth per hour, my parents aren't buying the car for me I swear, I know the chicks will love me forever because I bought this car, should I buy a manual but I've never driven one......
Also, do a search on insurance on a vette for a 16 year old. There's a thread already dedicated to this.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Sawbladz
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you grew up within city limits and the fastest motorized thing you drove was a ride on lawn mower..then NO! All my city friends were USELESS at driving for the first 3+ years since they had no experience operating vehicles. They learned but they would have been scary had they been in a car like a Corvette.

However, if you grew up in the country, operating snowmobiles, 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, farm equipement, etc. You will have a better understanding of vehicular control at a younger age. However, you will still be VERY immature. I don't care what you think, you will mature substantially between now and your 18th or 19th birthday.

You should not get a vette. Start out with a nice 4cyl that is good on gas and can transport some friends. Then move up when your skill set allows. Just so you don't think I am some old guy giving you sh#t, I'm 21. I started in a Civic for a year and a half which I bought when I was 15 with my own money, bought an 88 Supra in Gr 12 in highschool. It is now modded to 350 hp and I'm in 4th year University. I am just now considering selling it and moving up to the Vette.

There will be PLENTY of time for the Vette. They make them every day. Don't make the mistake of being car poor and not being able to do the fun stuff your friends are doing because you can't afford it. And don't get help from your parents. Nothing feels better than looking someone straight in the face and saying "No, my parents didn't pay for it, did yours?". Love it EVERY time.

Take this for what it is worth.

EDIT: One more thing. Pay for toys in CASH!!!!! NO CAR PAYMENTS! I've always lived by this rule and it has worked out well so far.

Last edited by Sawbladz; 11-25-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: More advice
Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by motocross5625
thanks for all the responses guys, just to let some of you know,

i do know how to drive a manual!
and i baby everything i have, i offer to wash my neighbors car for free just because i cant stand to see it dirty! and will not, do something just because my friends push me to do it.

im not going to be cocky and say im a good driver ,im only 16, i have a lot to learn,

but i have been driving daily, a 2007 jaguar xkr, a c4 vette, and a 2007 Aprilia sxv550. id say that i have some driving experience. and id also say that i am very lucky that my parents would trust me with their cars. (i own the bike though)

not trying to act like a tough guy but just to let you guys know.
When I was 16 I sounded just like you, but if I had a vette I would probably killed someone or myself.

16yr old guys are to immature and to daring to own a vette. Everyone on here remembers all the stupid things we tried in our vehicles at that age, and it would have gotten real bad real fast in a vette.

Save your pennies and get it later.

Quick Reply: c5 corvette for 16 yr old???