Sponsored by:

VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh

I am not sure which forum is the best fit for this post, but as a C5 owner, I figured I would share this ordeal and warning with my fellow C5’ers.

Today, I received a collection notice from the North Shore Agency, Inc. (A National Collection Agency), located at PO BOX 8901 in Westbury, NY for the amount of $17.00

The letter reads: “RE: VETTE… Our client’s records indicate that your subscription order was placed, copies of the magazine were sent, and you were billed – but your payment was not received… Our client, VETTE, doesn’t think that is the way a responsible party should act, especially on a small bill like yours… VETTE trusted you to pay your bill and we request that their trust be fulfilled by your payment. Write a check payable to North Shore Agency for the full amount owed and mail it in the envelope provided… etc etc etc.”

So, I immediately looked at one of the Vette mags I have and saw the subscription is valid through October of 2009. I then asked my wife what she knew about the subscription since it actually was a gift from her. She could recall that she requested it in my name, as a gift to me and that she sent them payment but that was about the extent of her memory on the matter.

So, I went to the “contact us” page for VETTE at http://www.vetteweb.com/contactus/index.html and found their telephone number and called. A guy named Chris took my call and indicated that he represented some other magazine. So, I asked if he represented VETTE as well and he said “just a minute” then came back and said “Yes, I represent VETTE as well.” So, after wondering why he didn't even seem to know who he worked for, I asked him about the collection letter that I received today. He then asked for my zip code and last name and then said “Yes, I see it… Your subscription cost more than what you sent. We received $12.95 and you still owe us $17.00.” I asked if he could tell me how that payment was received and he said “It must have been by check since I see no credit information… So, if you would like to give me your credit card number, I will use that and charge the $17.00 you owe us and your account will be clear.”

Although I almost felt as if this was some kind of scam, I gave him my credit card info. I also told him that it was not me who had ordered the magazine and it actually was my wife who ordered it as a gift and had sent them the payment. But, he didn't seem capable of finding any other info about any payment other than $12.95 was received and $17.00 is owed by the recipient. Ok, fine. I gave him my credit card info.

He then told me to write to the collection agency and tell them that I paid VETTE directly and that my account is clear. "If I needed proof I could use my credit card receipt when it arrived. I could also say that “Chris D. / Number 8256” took my payment." So, I asked him, “What is that number?” and he replied, “Uh, I am not sure, I guess you could say that it is my reference number. Thank you for your payment, have a happy Thanksgiving…” and he hung up.

I then called the telephone number at the top of the collection notice. It went directly to an automated system that took info from the letter to identify me. After that, it said to "press prompt 2 if payment has been made." So, I did. It then said that was insufficient and that I would be required to send copies of my credit card receipt or cancelled checks to the collection agency in order to have the account cleared.

What a mess!

Here’s the issue. First off, this magazine was a gift from my wife (I don't think she will ever order me another magazine after this ordeal). It was not even me who ever placed the order. Now, I do not know if she somehow sent them a check in the wrong amount or was taking advantage of some $12.95 offer. She does not recall - but she doubts that she would see a bill for $29.95 and send a check for $12.95 - I have to agree that would be kind of strange but it is possible. In the meantime, she reviewed her checkbook register and found that she sent a check to Vette on 9/26/08 in the amount of $12.95 that cleared her bank on 10/7/08.

But, even that doesn’t matter. What really matters is that no one ever attempted to contact me or my wife about this lousy $17.00. Instead, it was me who was put into collections without any other notice and/or warning.

Consequently, I feel that VETTE has "not acted responsibly in this matter." In today’s terrible economy, the last thing that any of us needs is a collection agency chasing us down over a $17 matter that could be easily fixed via a letter or even a phone call. I have never missed or neglected a payment in my life! And now, some crappy magazine wants to screw with my credit rating

To see this crap in my mailbox is absurd, irritating and sufficient enough for me to warn others of VETTE magazine and their "business practices."

This is one magazine subscription that will never be renewed

Last edited by digivex; 11-24-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn what a headache!! i hate situations like that...too much stress than what its worth
Old 11-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Wow, what an ordeal. Guess this will now cost them more than the $17 they said you owed them. I was a Vette magazine subscriber several years ago when I had my C4 and didn't renew when I sold it. I was considering getting a subscription, however I may just pass on them now.

Guess when it comes to some things your guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
jraschke11
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

I was considering vette magazine and one other one, I guess Vette is totally out of the question now!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:22 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Total BS. I was just going to subscribe but won't now.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:40 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Turning $17.00 over to a collection agency is absurd! I'd like to see them take someone to court over $17!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:49 PM
BayArea Badboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn,that's crazy!And that negative mark of $17.00 will remain your credit reports for 7.5 years!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Turning $17.00 over to a collection agency is absurd! I'd like to see them take someone to court over $17!
They won't. But they will put a black mark on your credit score and it will cost you a lot more than $17 when you apply for a loan.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:13 AM
kww
Drifting

Sorry for your bad experience-I just renewed my subscription. $29.95 plus $3 postage. Still in my opinion one of the best Vette mag's out there. As with many companies and the utilities-bill payment is all done by computer. Miss a payment or have a mix up in payment and the only notification you get is from a collection agency. I've had the same car insurance company for over 20 years. I have never been late with any bills let alone my insurance bill. My payment was lost in the mail. The only notification I got from my insurance company is that my insurance was dropped. That is with a perfect record and no points. I got it straighten out but man what a mess. Sign of the times I guess.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:21 AM
poolboy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would send the head person at Vette a letter documenting your experience and requesting that they correct your credit history. That is absurd.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I get vette mag and will think about it in the future.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 AM
C5C6Norm
Melting Slicks

Location: Lower, Slower Delaware, formerly from Mobtown, MD (Baltimore)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I subscribe to Vette and they are actually becoming a PITA. My subscription expires in May 2009 and I have received THREE renewal notices already, one said "hurry, last notice, or you will loose your subscription", or something to that effect. I've got a half year left already, jeez. All they need to do is notify me a month before it's up.

I don't think I'm going to renew.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
GreenDream
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Norm
I subscribe to Vette and they are actually becoming a PITA. My subscription expires in May 2009 and I have received THREE renewal notices already, one said "hurry, last notice, or you will loose your subscription", or something to that effect. I've got a half year left already, jeez. All they need to do is notify me a month before it's up.

I don't think I'm going to renew.
I subscribe to many magazines and most are going this route now, everyday in the mail box is another renewal for ones that don't expire for at least 6 months. It is like they are now trying to operate on next years money. At my age, I see no reason for my subscriptions to outlive me for 3 years...!
I get every Corvette mag except Vette and I guess it will remain that way..
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
digivex
Drifting

Originally Posted by kww
Sorry for your bad experience-I just renewed my subscription. $29.95 plus $3 postage.
Thanks for the post.

I think one of the key words is that you renewed your subscription to Vette. I never even ordered the magazine in the first place... It was a gift subscription. I signed nothing that said I wanted the magazine; they did not receive a check from me with my name on it, etc.

Yet, they put me into collections for a difference in the alleged amount owed on the gift ($12.95 versus $29.95) without any other attempt to contact me or anyone else for that matter. And, they did this in a very short period of time.

As mentioned, I immediately called them and paid what they wanted. But, it doesn't end there. Now, I have to send proof of payment and work with a collection agency, hoping that my credit is not tarnished. But, the collection agency is totally automated and I can't get through to a human... So, I guess that will be in writing. At the same time, I will send copies of my letter the NJ State Attorney General's office.

Last edited by digivex; 11-25-2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 AM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Default Wtf

that seems odd think they would send a thing with your first or second Vette mag saying you owed $17 still and some info on how to pay it.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
digivex
Drifting

Originally Posted by poolboy
I would send the head person at Vette a letter documenting your experience and requesting that they correct your credit history. That is absurd.
Thanks... When I posted here, I also sent a letter to the Editor of Vette, which was an exact copy of my post here.

I also posted to their own online forums under "Ask the Staff".

And, where they have "Reader's Rides", I added my 2003 C5 with a description of my car that was a direct copy of my post here -- I am surprised that it has yet to be deleted
Old 11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
vettekidc5
Pro

Originally Posted by digivex
Thanks... When I posted here, I also sent a letter to the Editor of Vette, which was an exact copy of my post here.

I also posted to their own online forums under "Ask the Staff".

And, where they have "Reader's Rides", I added my 2003 C5 with a description of my car that was a direct copy of my post here -- I am surprised that it has yet to be deleted
Seems like a simple case of the wifes memory ownage.. I dont have a wife but i do have a longtime gf and i know how that goes

It was stupid that they turned that over without calling.. But dont worry you paid the bill you wont ever hear from it again or see anything on your credit for it

Get notified of new replies

To VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh

Old 11-25-2008, 10:51 AM
PuddleJumper
Pro

id watch your mail for any other crap like that not saying anything about your wife being she probably did what she was suppose to do they probably mislead her
Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM
65convt
Melting Slicks

I had a similar problem with Corvette Fever and Vette magazine.
We had subscriptions and when renewing them the wife made payment, and we never recieved any more magazines from CF. At a later date we had the same problem with Vette.
After numerous phone calls and only getteing automated recordings I just told my wife to forget it.
I just pick them up at the store.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:15 AM
digivex
Drifting

Originally Posted by PuddleJumper
id watch your mail for any other crap like that not saying anything about your wife being she probably did what she was suppose to do they probably mislead her
Not to seem defensive, but a little about her: We've been together 18 years. She has a college education and works in upper-middle management in a large corporation on multi-million dollar, international and domestic voice and data proposal management. If she were inclined to be easily misled or confused, she would not hold such a position.

But, human error is always possible and I did not discount that possibility as she only has a cancelled check for $12.95 and not a copy of the actual offer for which she subscribed.

However, the manner in which Vette Magazine put me into collections, within a few weeks of cashing her check, for a gift subscription, without any other notice is inexcusable.

Quick Reply: VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh