Sponsored by:

For those on the tire fence...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM
LO PHAT
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default For those on the tire fence...

I thought I would share this with all of you ... especially those like me who aren't sure if they want to replace their runflat tires with non-EMT tires.

I hit something in the road the other day, and my right front tire immediately started losing air. This was not a nail or screw puncture. This was a huge slash near the outer edge of the tire. The tire went to zero psi in a matter of 30 seconds or less. Any non-EMT tire would have left me stranded right there waiting hours on a tow truck. No compressor or fix-a-flat kit would have been able to save my car and I in this case.

A bit less than calmly at first, I headed toward the nearest tire shop I knew of while keeping my speeds under 55 mph. Simply amazing! I was driving on a tire with zero psi, but I really had no sense of that from behind the steering wheel. When I got to my local Discount Tire, they inspected the damaged tire and informed me that they didn't have replacements in stock. I ordered two new front tires (one of them will be replaced under road hazard warranty) and then drove home on the flat tire. At this point I was perfectly calm with my situation and confident behind the wheel. I just took it easy making turns and watched my speed, but I again couldn't feel any real negative impact from having no pressure in that front tire. Next week I'll need to drive the car back to Discount Tire again, and I'll again be on a front tire with zero psi.

Here's a huge for runflat tires. My drive to the tire store and then home from there easily made the decision to stick with EMT tires for me. They may cost a little more and (maybe) sacrifice some handling, but the peace of mind is so worth it!

LO PHAT
Old 11-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EMT's definately have their plusses. But... for real performance they just suck.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Believe it or not, I've known people who also carry a spare alternator, fan belts, and a jug of water in their vehicles. Honestly, in the 34 years I've been driving, I've had one blowout because of a very worn tire - that's it for "Stop the car now" episodes. I've had a couple of slow leakes or nail punctures that didn't leak - both of which allowed me plenty of time to get to a tire shop.
With those kinds of odds and given the incredibly smooth ride with non-runflats, I decided that the gamble is miniscule compared to the benefits. Each runflat tire weighs 6-8 lbs more than a non-runflat of equal size.

Still, I won't blame anyone who wants to be super extra safe.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:00 PM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had two flats in the last 40 years. Both on the C5. One on the left rear, in an original Goodyear EMT, the second, in the right rear, in a Michelin PS A/S ZP. Both went to zero psi, but nearly resealed themselves completely when I removed the offending objects and added air to the tires. I drove on each of them about thirty miles to get the tires fixed. I now carry a small 12VDC air compressor in the rear of the C5. I'm a runflat man from here on out.
Ed
Old 11-21-2008, 04:04 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe I've just been unlucky but I've had maybe 10 flats (nails) in the last 15 years, a shredded tire tread and a broken valve stem. My favorite was a flat on the median on the loop in Houston 80 mph traffic is a wonderful thing.

I stripped a tire at 70 mph in San Antonio and it was worth a million heartbeats. An EMT going flat in Vegas cost me about three. Mind you, the $360 to replace it bumped me back up there again. When I broke the valve stem - and it was my heavy hand that did the damage - I'd would have been stranded in the boondocks but for the runflat. As it was it got me home and I took it to the shop the next day.

I love EMTs. Once you need one you'll never look back

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-21-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Nothing like EMTs for security!!!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:49 PM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

No comparing Goodyear EMT with Michelin P/S ZP ride and handling wise. Come by and drive mine. I'm always in a hurry, no way I'm waiting for AAA, if I don't have to. Put a new set of Pilot Sports on 2 weeks ago and pulled a 1/4" bolt out Monday, no it only leaked a bit and you would have been OK on non run flats, but if it had thrown out the bolt that's a big hole.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:52 PM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for sharing these stories, I was one of those who was on the fence about getting another set of runflats, I finally decided that yes I wanted the security. I was worried about the types of scenarios that you have described. I bought the new Pilot Sport Plus tires and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
4THTOY
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know the feeling I've had 2 flats in my C5, one was a slice on the side of the tire at 3AM, I got home without an issue. I changed from GY's to Firestones about 7 years ago, now on my 2nd set, I might give up a small bit of performance, however I know I can always get to my detestation.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:06 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gotta keep the run flats my luck is just too bad
Old 11-21-2008, 08:10 PM
DAV162
Drifting

Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Oh My God! How did we ever get along without EMT's. I really like the security of the OEM runflats but I have driven on high performance tires and low performance tires (F70 14's ) that were standard on every muscle car In the late 60's and I was never paranoid to the degree that I worried about a flat, a blowout or having to have my car towed for lack of a spare. I can understand wanting security but to sacrifice one of the most important reasons for owning my Vettes, namely Handling, is not worth the tradeoff to me and many others who have gone to non-runflats. I was disappointed with my C5 from day one because it did not handle as well as my C4 or even my Fiero GT despite it's great looks and huge power. It was downright scary to drive hard in anything but a straight line. With non-runflats I found a new appreciation for the capabilities of my car and was sorry that I waited 24k miles to ditch the OEMS. I tried Z06 sways and they helped dramatically but didn't stop the rear hop out that scared the crap out of me on any turn with a bump or tar strip. If you must have the security blanket of runflats I understand but after 42 years of driving without them I think I will take the risk, enjoy the ride and not lose any sleep over it.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:05 PM
bcartman2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAA is all i can say, they have helped me many times, i have only had 1 big tire problem in a vette, it was my 89, i picked up a 3/8 drive 6 inch ratchet extention in an obsolete firestone, had it flatbeded back to base and had a new tire from the warehouse in less than 2 weeks.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by flyzlow
Oh My God! How did we ever get along without EMT's. I really like the security of the OEM runflats but I have driven on high performance tires and low performance tires (F70 14's ) that were standard on every muscle car In the late 60's and I was never paranoid to the degree that I worried about a flat, a blowout or having to have my car towed for lack of a spare. I can understand wanting security but to sacrifice one of the most important reasons for owning my Vettes, namely Handling, is not worth the tradeoff to me and many others who have gone to non-runflats. I was disappointed with my C5 from day one because it did not handle as well as my C4 or even my Fiero GT despite it's great looks and huge power. It was downright scary to drive hard in anything but a straight line. With non-runflats I found a new appreciation for the capabilities of my car and was sorry that I waited 24k miles to ditch the OEMS. I tried Z06 sways and they helped dramatically but didn't stop the rear hop out that scared the crap out of me on any turn with a bump or tar strip. If you must have the security blanket of runflats I understand but after 42 years of driving without them I think I will take the risk, enjoy the ride and not lose any sleep over it.
I had to chuckle a bit because before I switched to my Goodyear GSD3 non-runflats, my 1989 Mazda GT handled better than my C5. Those stiff sidewalls made the car side-hop so badly that I was seriously afraid that I'd be riding the guardrails a few times! That is simply not acceptable for a $52,000 sportscar. Yes, the Michelin runflats are better than the OEM tires, but they are still nothing compared to the GSD3s or PS2s. But hey, if you've never had good non-runflats, you don't know what you are missing.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:50 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,299 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

They ARE good for peace of mind!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:59 AM
NorCalVette Kid
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

I bought my car with non run flat tires. I'm looking to replace them for EMT's, are Michelin PS A/S ZP good tires? How's it ride?
Old 11-22-2008, 01:14 AM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave68
I had to chuckle a bit because before I switched to my Goodyear GSD3 non-runflats, my 1989 Mazda GT handled better than my C5. Those stiff sidewalls made the car side-hop so badly that I was seriously afraid that I'd be riding the guardrails a few times! That is simply not acceptable for a $52,000 sportscar. Yes, the Michelin runflats are better than the OEM tires, but they are still nothing compared to the GSD3s or PS2s. But hey, if you've never had good non-runflats, you don't know what you are missing.
The GSD3's seem to be the Best choice and are highly rated here, as you probably are aware. Great choice. Why drive a Corvette that has half it's performance "tied behind it's back?" And as Alfred E. Neuman says..."What, Me Worry?"

Get notified of new replies

To For those on the tire fence...

Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM
vettekidc5
Pro

Originally Posted by flyzlow

The GSD3's seem to be the Best choice and are highly rated here, as you probably are aware. Great choice. Why drive a Corvette that has half it's performance "tied behind it's back?" And as Alfred E. Neuman says..."What, Me Worry?"
I have my flame suit on, But I have about 430 whp and my sumitomo htrz2 got better traction than the good year gsd3 by far. They spin so bad in chilli weather that my shifter starts shakeing. Those sumitomos on the same day, with 0/32 of life left didnt hardly spin. Ive had them to just under 200 safely numerous times, When my 99 z51 M6 was bone stock these tires took me to 12.9 with a very novice driver . Another friend with the 315 goodyear Eagle F1 supercars with the same power on a 01z06 spins just as bad with a 11.5 wide rim and tire setup. Good year has never had a really wonderful performance tire that rubber just doesnt like to stick.

and best of all they are cheap priced. Cheap enough were you can buy a spasre tire for each size and keep them in your garage incase you go flat and cant fix so you wont have to order.

Last edited by vettekidc5; 11-22-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:53 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Divine retribution will likely mean I end up standed some day... but EMT's have no presence on our Corvettes....
Old 11-22-2008, 10:06 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I really do not know why (except for $ reasons) they didn't put a donut spare on these vettes. I have the orig emt's and have 16K on them. I figure I will have till spring to decide but I am on that DAMM FENCE TOO !

Quick Reply: For those on the tire fence...