Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those on the tire fence...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:23 AM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 79 Posts

"The best advice I would have, and I'm being honest, would be to ditch the Goodyears and get on Michelins. I use the Pilot Sport and keep away from the EMTs. The ride is so much improved, and how it goes into a skid is much nicer and easier to deal with." - Johnny O'Connell, C6R Driver, as quoted in Vette Magazine, January 2009. Johnny was describing his personal Vette, a pewter C5 convertible.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Coming back from our Fall Color Run this year, a friend with a 2007 C6, had an inner, right front sidewall blowout, with stock C6 GY runflats, on the highway. I've never seen that before on one of these cars. Anyway, a big hole and the tire wouldn't hold any air at all. He was able to drive it 45 miles back to the hotel where he called a truck and had it flatbedded back to his home, about another 100 miles away. When it blew, there was really no steering difference, he just received the low pressure alarm. The tire was shot when he reached the hotel, but at least he was able to make it. This occurred on a Sunday afternoon and the closest Chevrolet dealer, in LaCrosse, was called as the car was still under warranty. The azzhats wouldn't honor the Roadside Assistance package that comes with these cars, and help him out. Unbelievable...well, maybe not for GM . My friend was pretty PO'd. Haven't heard what the Regional Manager had to say yet. Anyway he has a new tire and the car is parked for the winter.
Ed
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 AM
motogib1
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the car side hop on a fast curve a few months after I bought the car with stock runflats. Very scary. Car handles so much better with non runflats. I bought the C5 to drive on nice days and to perform like a sports car. If I wanted something safe and comfy I'd get a CTS or lexus and keep the runflats.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:56 AM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyzlow

The GSD3's seem to be the Best choice and are highly rated here, as you probably are aware. Great choice. Why drive a Corvette that has half it's performance "tied behind it's back?" And as Alfred E. Neuman says..."What, Me Worry?"
I am replying to my own post! I did not buy GSD3's for mine but they seem to be highly regarded around here. I bought Goodyear F1 All Seasons. They are an Ultra High Performance tire that provides much of the handling of a typical summer tire but are great in rain ,cold and snow. When I first posted about my purchase of these someone questioned why I would need them in Arizona. Three weeks ago I left Phoenix in my Vette on Friday with temps of 82 degrees and sunny clear skies. Three hours later I was in Show Low Az at 58 degrees. When I left Sunday night there was 3 inches of snow on my car. I did some slipping and sliding but was easily able to drive back with no problems. They are terrific on wet and don't scare the crap out of me as did the runflats. They handle the dry as well as most of the summer performance tires I have had too. Jump off the Fence!!
Old 11-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vettekidc5
I have my flame suit on, But I have about 430 whp and my sumitomo htrz2 got better traction than the good year gsd3 by far. They spin so bad in chilli weather that my shifter starts shakeing. Those sumitomos on the same day, with 0/32 of life left didnt hardly spin. Ive had them to just under 200 safely numerous times, When my 99 z51 M6 was bone stock these tires took me to 12.9 with a very novice driver . Another friend with the 315 goodyear Eagle F1 supercars with the same power on a 01z06 spins just as bad with a 11.5 wide rim and tire setup. Good year has never had a really wonderful performance tire that rubber just doesnt like to stick.

and best of all they are cheap priced. Cheap enough were you can buy a spasre tire for each size and keep them in your garage incase you go flat and cant fix so you wont have to order.
You could not pay me enough to use Sumitomos, based upon prior experience. They stick well and are quiet when new, but give them some mileage and watch your steering seem to veer off to one side or the other and the noise to increase exponentially. Yes, they are inexpensive, but if you want fast-wearing drag radials, thats what you should get and avoid the $100 tires.

But hey, to each his own, as they say.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM
JH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid
I bought my car with non run flat tires. I'm looking to replace them for EMT's, are Michelin PS A/S ZP good tires? How's it ride?
Lotsa folks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season Zero Pressure (PS A/S ZP), but unless you drive in rain, light snow or occasional cold conditions, I didn't want to give away the extra handling of a summer performance tire in favor of an all season tire. I chose the Firestone Firehawks (second set on my Corvettes) and I have been quite pleased with them. Smooth, great grip and much quieter than the OEM tires.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:38 PM
kikker_1999
Racer

I sat on the fence for quite sometime, Actually it all began just after I bought my used C5 and drove it over to a buddy's house to have him listen to the horrible hum the car made.... he said, OH!!! that's the Run Flats!!!
I lasted 8000 miles then shucked them,(25k total) I read every forum post and opinion on the run flat/non subject... like everyone here I want the FREE education that only 1st hand experience will provide. In the end I just did it!!! I bought a set of KUMHO ECSTA ASX, ($725 done) as i drove out of the tire shop, it was all CLEAR to me.... the car had a TOTALLY different ride and attitude, QUIET, SMOOTH.. I love the new feeling, and would never go back to a run flat. Like everyone else.. I have the plug kit and compressor... If I get the catastrophic failure that everyone fears, I'll deal with it then... Until that time I'm DRIVING the SMOOTHEST C5 around!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:50 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative
I really do not know why (except for $ reasons) they didn't put a donut spare on these vettes. I have the orig emt's and have 16K on them. I figure I will have till spring to decide but I am on that DAMM FENCE TOO !
The donut spare may be nice but where will you put the flat rear tire? Leave your wife/GF by the side of the road?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:52 PM
tricep
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If I head out on a long trip, I just scope out all the tire shops on the way and call them in advance for their business hours...

Just kidding
Old 11-22-2008, 09:01 PM
NOLA
Racer

I see you guys have had some good luck with run flats, I have 2 sitting around my shop with 6/32 left on them. Pm me with any offers
Old 11-22-2008, 09:16 PM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Because I don't use my Vette for work any more, I needed a more performance tire for my setup. The EMT where crap on my previous setup (H/C 449hp 412tq). I think the EMT may have caused more harm than good with what I have now, especially on the road course.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

The ride and handling of the GY EMTs is barely acceptable on a family sedan, let alone a sports car. Hitting the slightest imperfection while mid-turn would instantly make the car step out a few feet. How anyone could sign these tires off for use on a performance car is beyond me.

If you need any indication as to the performance tradeoff of EMT vs. regular, look and see what GM themselves puts on the C5z.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 PM
71vetteinva
Racer

I like to think of it this way. How many people would stand on the side of the road for $750? I sure would. That was the price difference between my BF Goodrich tires and new Goodyear EMT's.

Not only are they performance killers, but run flats are a poor value. They are over double the cost of namebrand performance tires.

The number one C5 mod are tires. There really is no comparison between run flats and traditional tires. It nets significant gains in acceleration, handling and ride quality.

I'm glad they eliminated the spare tire on the C5. It allows for more trunk space and a better design. I'm more than willing to trade a spare tire for utility and performance.

Last edited by 71vetteinva; 11-22-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 PM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr.TT
The ride and handling of the GY EMTs is barely acceptable on a family sedan, let alone a sports car. Hitting the slightest imperfection while mid-turn would instantly make the car step out a few feet. How anyone could sign these tires off for use on a performance car is beyond me.

If you need any indication as to the performance tradeoff of EMT vs. regular, look and see what GM themselves puts on the C5z.
Perfect...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Here's a fence killer true story. This past weekend I passed a C5 North bound on I 95. This was a Millennium Yellow Coupe that appeared to be in excellent condition. Except for one small thing. The poor guy had a flat on the drivers rear and was running about 55 on run flats. What's the problem you might ask? Here's the deal breaker. The tread had come loose and ripped the quarter panel to shreds. Fiberglass doesn't do well with flapping steel belts let me tell you.

So I will continue to run $150. a piece tires on the rear and spend more for quality on the front. In a week I'll have a pair of new Falkens on the rear to smoke up. In 6 months another pair of BFG's go on the front. I change rear tires twice a year and the fronts once a year. I haven't had a flat on any vehicle since 1990 so the odds are good I'll never need AAA. If I do I'd rather call a wrecker than a body shop.

Last edited by Camjamsdad; 11-24-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Optimus_C5
Le Mans Master

Location: If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. South West Florida / Livin' The Dream
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Run Flats have their purpose and you found it. The safety and convenience on not having to change or repair a flat on the side of the road.

I replace the tires on my 02 vert 6 months ago and was faced with the question most ask themselves. Do I ditch the run flats or stick with them. I made the decision to ditch them. After all I hadn't had a flat tire in years. In the last 6 months I've had two flats, however they were on my company car and not the vette. First one was on the interstate at night and a rapid deflation which ruined the tire. Imagine how fun it is to be changing a flat tire at night with 18 wheelers going by at 80 MPH and your 8ft off the side of the highway. Second one went flat at home.

Do I regret ditching the run flats? No, my vette isn't a DD so I very seldom drive it at night and when I do drive it I'm not usually on a schedule.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 AM
bawb
Instructor

Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid
I bought my car with non run flat tires. I'm looking to replace them for EMT's, are Michelin PS A/S ZP good tires? How's it ride?
I bought my car with a set of KUMHO ECSTA ASX on it. Just today I switched to the Michelin PS A/S ZP's. I only have about 60 miles on them, but I like them so far. The noise difference is minimal, and the ride still feels good. I haven't tried them in any aggressive corners yet.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a blow out in Mexico about 1000 miles south of the border, and let me tell you; it wasn't funny at all. I had the run craps too, and the car held out untill I got the tires replaced. I was riding on four different sets of tires on the way back to Kansas. I have pics, but I can't find the charger to my camera, so I can't transfer the pics to my computer at the moment.

Quick Reply: For those on the tire fence...