Sponsored by:

[Z06] clutch

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 PM
bobdobb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch

My 03 Z06 is quickly approching 60k miles. I will be doing headers and cam by the summertime. First I will have to put a clutch in it. My goal is RWHP in the 430ish range. Some time on a road course, some strip days but mostly just a driver. What is needed besides a disc and pressure plate to go with the LS7 clutch. Flywheel too? Also what will be the balancing issues. What else is a good replacement. I have a buddy that put a Spec stage 3 in and likes it. It seemed to be an easy replacement using the stock flywheel. Can't really do anything too light as my wife likes to drive the car and as long as she can do so I can keep spending money on it.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Textralia was the hot clutch not too long ago. Don't know why it seems to have fallen off the map. Fidanza has come out with a line of clutches for corvettes that seem to be pretty good.

I have a lightweight aluminum flywheel in my car and about the same RWHP as what you are expecting to get and there is really no problem driving the car. You just have to give it a little more gas when you are starting out. The lightweight flywheel really allows the motor to rev quickly.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:10 PM
ov666
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put a SPRC 3 and alum fywheel in mine, if wife going to drive put a Spec 2 in it and the alum flywheel. you will love it!
Old 11-13-2008, 06:17 PM
C5Z
Instructor

I wouldn't suggest an aluminum flywheel for a street car, or a drag car. It will give you 7-10 more rwhp on a dynojet but will affect the idle especially with bigger cams, will make starting from a stop more difficult and increase the chance of clutch chatter.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I'm running a Spec stage 2 with a Fidanza Alu flywheel in mine. I get a slight bit of chatter if I try to pull out at low RPM's. I also have quiet a bit of noise from the Alu flywheel. No big deal to me since mine is mostly a track car, but it might get a bit annoying on a daily driver.

The engine does rev a bit faster with the lighter setup in it

What ever you decide make sure you install a remote bleeder line on the slave. This will allow you to properly bleed the clutch and greatly extend the life of the slave
Old 11-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C5Z
I wouldn't suggest an aluminum flywheel for a street car, or a drag car. It will give you 7-10 more rwhp on a dynojet but will affect the idle especially with bigger cams, will make starting from a stop more difficult and increase the chance of clutch chatter.
^^I have a big cam in my car (G5X3) and I don't have any of the problems you mentioned. Dynos are fine for tuning but actual performance is what counts. The lighter flywheels significantly reduce rotating mass allowing the motor to rev a lot more quickly. You just have to give it a little more gas from the stops.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:12 PM
bobdobb
Instructor

Thanks for all the input. I think I have made a decision
Old 11-15-2008, 01:42 AM
Vietnam Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bobdobb
Thanks for all the input. I think I have made a decision