Sponsored by:

[Z06] Ok, Talk me into a Z06 over a Mustang Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
daisyaxo822
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I own a Z06, have owned them in the past. I also have owned Cobra's and Vipers. Guess what you can love them all. Your comment is pretty stupid. I dont have brand loyalty I have fast car loyalty.
WOW! If we could all be as lucky as you. Sounds like you have more money than sense. Your next car should be a boosted Honda Civic, you would probably get some REAL thrills out of that.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 PM
TheSnakeJake
Instructor

^^^^^

wow...

the more i stick around this forum and read responses from some of you... i realize where you get your reputation.

what a shame...

Last edited by TheSnakeJake; 10-17-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:53 PM
daisyaxo822
Intermediate

uhhh....cause that made a lot of sense
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Doesn't help much when providing an unbiased opinion though. I think that's what the OP was looking for.
I never disagreed with you on that part. Since I have no first hand knowledge of the Mustangs I kept my opinion to myself until this thread got way off of the original topic... just as I always do in these kind of threads.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:43 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Take the opinions with a grain of salt. I've seen the same "discussions" on Stangnet, Corral and SVTperformance and there are the same mix of protagonists and antagonsists on every forum.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 AM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by apriliacati
I just disagree with a few things you said.

At a recent car show my daughter, 99LS1, got alot more looks with her Cobra than my Z06.

Hehe- not to show disrespect but I dont think this phenomenon you experienced had anything to do with the cars on hand.

My sister got a lot more attention in her 1999 Camaro SS even though it was an automatic and bone stock than I ever did with my built nitrous six speed f-body. You should see what happens when my wife takes the z06 out.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:17 AM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redls1gto
My $.02 on this one. I am very GM brand loyal. I have never owned anything other than a GM car so I'll save you the trouble and make the statement that I have never (and will never) own a Mustang.
You my friend are what has kept GM alive despite questionable quality control in model levels below the vette/caddy- I wish there were more of you out there still from my shareholders perspective.

Last edited by hpfiend; 10-18-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by redls1gto
I never disagreed with you on that part. Since I have no first hand knowledge of the Mustangs I kept my opinion to myself until this thread got way off of the original topic... just as I always do in these kind of threads.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Bones_TX
Instructor

Its already been said but the Z06 is the only choice unless you really need to haul more passangers.

Go drive both on a race course and you know immediatly that the Z06 so out does the Terminator Cobra you will wonder why you ever ask.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfiend
You my friend are what has kept GM alive despite questionable quality control in model levels below the vette/caddy- I wish there were more of you out there still from my shareholders perspective.
Which is why I own a Vette and my father has a Caddy and a Vette.

Although... I also have a 99 Yukon 4WD with 150,000 miles and haven't put a single dollar towards a repair except for a battery in the 2 years that I have owned it. Not a squeak or a rattle to be found.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Tunedprt91
Instructor

Originally Posted by danziger
Take the opinions with a grain of salt. I've seen the same "discussions" on Stangnet, Corral and SVTperformance and there are the same mix of protagonists and antagonsists on every forum.
Exactly. All the op wants is the truth and most people are feeding him these bs reasons to get the Z. "youll look at it more" "youll get better women". Its PATHETIC to do that on any car site. People on Svtperformance do the same crap in this thread when this question is asked.

The TRUE performance enthusiast will give an unbiased educated answer while the brain washed idiots will give the replies you all see in this thread....

Im not saying not to be loyal to your car but dont go giving out false/stupid information about other vehicles.

Oh and to the people saying put the z on the roadcourse, what about those who want to just go in a straight line? There isnt even a roadcourse where I stay but there is a 1/4 mile strip. So now whats your answer? I think the Cobra would come out on top as far as the 1/4 mile goes.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 PM
ZONick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tunedprt91
Exactly. All the op wants is the truth and most people are feeding him these bs reasons to get the Z. "youll look at it more" "youll get better women". Its PATHETIC to do that on any car site. People on Svtperformance do the same crap in this thread when this question is asked.

The TRUE performance enthusiast will give an unbiased educated answer while the brain washed idiots will give the replies you all see in this thread....

Im not saying not to be loyal to your car but dont go giving out false/stupid information about other vehicles.

Oh and to the people saying put the z on the roadcourse, what about those who want to just go in a straight line? There isnt even a roadcourse where I stay but there is a 1/4 mile strip. So now whats your answer? I think the Cobra would come out on top as far as the 1/4 mile goes.
My H/C/I/E Z is faster than the average pullied cobra in a straight line. Once I get a few more mods i wanna start going for my friends whipple cobras. As of last night , I'd rather have a modded Z in a straight line than a modded cobra.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 PM
Cobra_4
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I should be able to give a pretty good opinion on this. I had an 03 Cobra for a few years and I now have an 01 Z06. Here are my pro's and con's to both.
The Cobra:
Pros:
Easy to mod add a pulley and a tune and you can make mad power
Fastest thing I have ever owned. My Z06 wouldn't stand a chance.
Fellow SVT owners are very helpful in giving information
Can't beat the whine of the supercharger
Handling and ride are good
You can haul four people if you need to
Cons:
At the end of the day the chassis is still just a mustang
If you change the shifter the tranny is nice, but stock its junk
It handles good, but you have to learn to drive it, you can stick the vette anywhere
Traction can be had but you have to learn how to drive it
The Vette:
Pros:
The american sports car
Handles like a dream
Responds well to mods
You have the feeling you are in a sports car
Tranny and clutch are awesome smooth
Over all quality of the car is better
Cons:
Its a pain to get in and out of
Mods are EXPENSIVE
It drags everywhere you go
Tires are expensive as hell
Your gonna get out run by a modded Cobra
You run into those handful of vette guys that are too good to talk to you
Hope that helps Ill let you make your own decision on which on you want they are both awesome cars.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM
saleenmuscle
Instructor

Originally Posted by daisyaxo822
WOW! If we could all be as lucky as you. Sounds like you have more money than sense. Your next car should be a boosted Honda Civic, you would probably get some REAL thrills out of that.
So your bashing on him Because he enjoys Different brands of fast cars?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:05 AM
Midnight Rambler
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently sold my modified 518rwhp 03 Cobra (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...hp?t=492497)to buy an 02 ZO6. Both are awesome rides and while the Cobra has superior seats, shift linkage, steering and a better radio, the Vette has superior brakes, handling, looks, mileage and, if both are stock, the Vette is faster. If you're looking for a comfortable cruiser for two or a car to run on road courses or slaloms, the Vette is an easy choice.

On the other hand, if you just want to go as fast as possible for the least amount of money invested, the Cobra is the way to go. For less than $2,500 in mods I had a car that had 518rwhp and ran a best time of 11.30's at 125mph on the strip!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:13 AM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Tunedprt91
Thanks for agreeing with my assertations.

Insofar as the drag strip, neither car is a slouch. Both will be hindered by the IRS. I'll give the edge to the Cobra for ultimate power to dollar because of the forged engine and factory FI, but the Z06 can make great power at a reasonable cost (see my post above) and has advantages in both weight and aero. If I were making a 1/4 mile car, I wouldn't waste my money on either, though. I'd be building a LS1 F-body or maybe a 5.0 Fox-body...
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 AM
njgreg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by apriliacati
LOL, I think your the one who lost his mind.

My daughters boyfriend recently sold his 03 Cobra for $23,500 on the SVT forum, 50,000 miles, far from mint. Your buddys car must be in pretty bad shape if he can't get $16,500. A flawless low mileage Cobra will easily get $25000 to $30000, if not more for a really low mileage example.
fixed it for you.

My daughters ex-boyfriend recently sold his 03 Cobra in August for $22,600 on the SVT forum, 40,000 miles, far from mint(what was wrong with it?full exhaust,pulley car). Your buddys car must be in pretty bad shape if he can't get $16,500. A flawless low mileage Cobra will easily get $25000 to $30000, if not more for a really low mileage example.[/QUOTE]

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, Talk me into a Z06 over a Mustang Cobra

Old 10-23-2008, 11:15 PM
belize
Advanced

Heh, I gave that thread the kiss of death.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Irieone's Z06'n it
Advanced

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Buy the Mustang Cobra!!

IMHO, if you have to ask which is better... you shouldn't be in a Corvette.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:04 PM
ruffian
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZONick
Quick side not: how much does a stock z06 weigh? The one I am suppossed to be buying today weighs 3,080lbs.
Yep, that's the wet weight...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ok, Talk me into a Z06 over a Mustang Cobra