Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Radio Bezel...... My Car burgled last night - AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 11:34 AM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Factory Radio Bezel...... My Car burgled last night - AGAIN!

Anyone out there got a part number for a factory replacement radio bezel? I've looked at GM parts Direct and can't find anything.

Some A**hole decided to break into my car last night and he did a number on it! I had an aftermarket double din CD/DVD/NAV/ in-dash unit so that's gone as is my hard mounted Valentine radar detector, as is the iPod, and more stuff.....

So.... screw it! I am going back 100% stock interior and need to replace my bezel with a new one.

Anyone having or knowing a part number would be quite helpful.

I have it all on CCTV - will edit and put up later... 3rd time in 5 years I've been hit! Getting damn tired of it!

VIDEO UP HERE ----> VIDEO OF CCTV

Last edited by diyguy; 10-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks bro!!! Sorry I dont know the nubers for you. Put a feeler out in the 4sale section. someone might have one for a good price vs new.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
IDM
Le Mans Master

I would say dont park there any more maybe?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:47 AM
mike348
Burning Brakes

GMPARTSHOUSE.COM
#10407815 $142. Hit Corvette parts then c5
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IDM
I would say dont park there any more maybe?

What neighborhood are you leaving your vette in?

Also what happened to fool me once shame on you but rob me three times without me taking any preventative action... well you know.

It's not that expensive to setup surveillance around your home for example. A better alarm or booby trapping your radio with razors are other ideas I have seen. All cheaper than getting robbed 3 times in 5 years...
Old 10-09-2008, 12:21 PM
DraZtiK
Instructor

How did he get past your aftermarket car alarm??
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by DraZtiK
How did he get past your aftermarket car alarm??
The aftermarket or even stock alarm is not 100% failsafe to a skilled burgler. They can hack past that quicker than you can say "stop, get away from my car!".

I do recommend that whatever you decided to do. Get your insurance involved to get your money back for the stuff they took. It was permanently mounted in your vehicle, so you are eligible for the book value it is worth. If you have receipts, even better. Once you get your money back, I too would take preventative measures. Setup a digital camera in your vette that is motion sensitive. Seen it done, works like a champ and is not super expensive. If you want you can also go the razor blade trick path as well. This definitely stops any quick burglers but unfortunately sometimes can leave blood all over your carpet and an angry burgler to further damage your car out of anger.

I feel your pain.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Drewstein

What neighborhood are you leaving your vette in?

It's not that expensive to setup surveillance around your home for example. A better alarm ... All cheaper than getting robbed 3 times in 5 years...
This is just the second time on the car.. Two previous were on a wakeboard boat that got huge amps and HU's and speakers. (two times).

The house IS surrounded by 24x7 RECORDED video surveillance using 4 cameras. Last time, the PD guys didn't give a tinkers hoot that I gave them a printed photo of the guy close up, and and entire copy of the event burned to DVD to them. HoHum.... several months later they did catch they guy trying to steal a car. When I spoke to the 'victim', I showed him a photo and it was the same guy. Cops did NOTHING to try to connect, file additional charges, despite a few very intense conversations with them.

I also had (but it didn't work) an 'electric eye' on the fence that if an invisable beam was broken, it would set off an alarm in the house. Had this worked, it would have given me plenty of time to get up, get dressed, grab the 12 ga and walk from the front door around the side of the house and do some serious damage to the scum bag. 100% perfectly legal in the state of Texas to use deadly force at night on your property.

I've TRIED! Just not lucky enough yet to nail one of these turds.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by diyguy
I also had (but it didn't work) an 'electric eye' on the fence that if an invisable beam was broken, it would set off an alarm in the house. Had this worked, it would have given me plenty of time to get up, get dressed, grab the 12 ga and walk from the front door around the side of the house and do some serious damage to the scum bag. 100% perfectly legal in the state of Texas to use deadly force at night on your property.

This is why I want to move to Texas. Az is pretty liberal with gun laws but nothing beats Texas! Nothing would make me feel better than blowing away some F'ing thieves legally.

Other than electrifying your car, I'm not sure what to suggest. Just get your money from the insurance and get that eye working!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:38 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn! That really sucks! I feel your pain I just spent the last few nigths installing my DD Nav unit. You need a secure garage.

Anyone out there got a part number for a factory replacement radio bezel? I've looked at GM parts Direct and can't find anything.

Some A**hole decided to break into my car last night and he did a number on it! I had an aftermarket double din CD/DVD/NAV/ in-dash unit so that's gone as is my hard mounted Valentine radar detector, as is the iPod, and more stuff.....

So.... screw it! I am going back 100% stock interior and need to replace my bezel with a new one.

Anyone having or knowing a part number would be quite helpful.

I have it all on CCTV - will edit and put up later... 3rd time in 5 years I've been hit! Getting damn tired of it!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:59 PM
wit2pz
Le Mans Master

This is just the second time on the car..

The house IS surrounded by 24x7 RECORDED video surveillance using 4 cameras. Last time, the PD guys didn't give a tinkers hoot that I gave them a printed photo of the guy close up, and and entire copy of the event burned to DVD to them.
I also had (but it didn't work) an 'electric eye' on the fence that if an invisable beam was broken, it would set off an alarm in the house.

Don't give up, sounds like you've ALMOST got it. Do you have VIDEO MOTION DETECTION on your DVR??? If not, look into it. It will activate when pixelation of the image changes, i.e. a moving person. This can be set to alert inside the house. Another good device is an outdoor PIR sensor with VOICE COMMANDS. You can set it up to speak a message like "WARNING! You are trespassing on private property. Turn away from the property now. If you proceed, alarms will sound and the police will be notified." This device has record capabilities as well, so you can record your own personal message for trespassers.

These devices can be tied in to an audible piezo in your sleeping quarters, so you are alerted first hand. Don't be discouraged by the actions of the thief. Beef up your system and replace your old stuff with better. No need in enjoying your stuff less because of fear of losing it!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
capehorn3
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, know its off topic, we are going to see lots more of this.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Terribly sorry to read this. Good luck bro!

-Alex
Old 10-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Texaspilot180
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It is very upsetting to have this happen, I feel your pain my friend. You need a big angry noisy dog at night, and a loaded 9mm readily available when the dog starts chewing on the worthless thief. Make sure he knows you aren't going to shoot the dog that's chewing his leg off (shoot him in the other one so he can't run off) then go call the cops. I keep my Z06 inside, but my 74 Vert sits inside a fenced secure patio behind my house, bedroom just above on 2nd floor. No one has messed with it, but some kids tried to steal gas from my Z71 Silverado in the driveway recently and I got a nice new gas can when I chased them down the alley. Motion lights and truck alarm got them, amateurs. I know its tough to catch the pros, and unfortunately getting LEO to take an interest in a car burglary isn't easy sometimes.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Brentvino169
Racer

Call Valentine Research at 1 800 331 3030 and tell them the serial number of your Valentine One so they can flag it. If the thief or the person who buys the V1 from the thief ever tries to upgrade, fix, or buy accessories for the V1, Valentine Research will notify you or hold the unit.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wit2pz
Don't give up, sounds like you've ALMOST got it. Do you have VIDEO MOTION DETECTION on your DVR??? If not, look into it. It will activate when pixelation of the image changes, i.e. a moving person. This can be set to alert inside the house.
The DVR is cabable of doing both motion detection as well as triggering a switch to set off inside peizo alarm... tried that and to many false set-offs. Large bugs at night set it off.. Blowing leaves or high winds in the 'detection area' set it off. Birds flying across the detection area set it off. Rain and Lightning set it off. Car headlights coming and going down the alley would set it off... Far to unreliable.

Those are not as reliable as my 'invisible beam' setup. Just need to fix and fine tune it again. Just got lazy as there had been no hits anywhere in our neighborhood in well over 18 months...

Originally Posted by wit2pz
Another good device is an outdoor PIR sensor with VOICE COMMANDS. You can set it up to speak a message like "WARNING! You are trespassing on private property. Turn away from the property now. If you proceed, alarms will sound and the police will be notified." This device has record capabilities as well, so you can record your own personal message for trespassers.
I don't want to scare them away.. I want to catch the bastards. Already have 'video alert' signs posted. These are brazen MF's! Any given night on anyone's local news shows 7-11 heists or bank robbery from video surveillance and even with the Cops asking for help in ID'ing someone it just doen't work that well.

Here is the Legislation our fine Governor Signed into Law, Mach 2007.

"AUSTIN — Two bills, HB284 and SB378, would change Texas law by allowing deadly force to be used as a first resort by any citizen, in any public place, and prevent criminal charges from being filed against any shooter who claims he or she felt threatened."

USE OF DEADLY FORCE In protecting property or in self-defense (disregard the 'tree huggers' response. As a Born and raised Texan, shoot first, ask questions later. If you can't shoot someone in the back, hit their knee to get them to turn around, then blast um.

Hell with the LEO's.. they have already shown me on past situations how much effort they put into it. My only effort is a few micrometers of tension on the trigger.

Last edited by diyguy; 10-09-2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:02 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

I have one from my 2000 it is like new just missing one of the mounting tabs , but it does not effect it when installed . $142 new . hows $75 shipped ..... weighs almost nothing can't cost much to ship ups , let me know will take pictures if you want .... PM me

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Radio Bezel...... My Car burgled last night - AGAIN!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:16 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Good luck with the repair

Chuck
Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear about your bad luck hope you get some bucks from ins good luck with repairs
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

VIDEO IS UP OF THE "EVENT"

Damn.. just makes u sick everytime I see it.....

CCTV VIDEO OF THE BREAK-IN

SUCKS!

Quick Reply: Factory Radio Bezel...... My Car burgled last night - AGAIN!