Sponsored by:

My first test drive in a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ksvette74
They are fun, but don't assume that we are all a bunch of old guys either. I am an 80's baby. The corvette has a stereotype of mid-life crisis and only being owned by staunchy old rich men. Not the case at all, so if you do buy one you will find some people in you age group that have em. but, granted, most are in the middle years.

Enjoy the car, you will not regret getting it!
Umm, actually, almost EVERYONE on here is an old rich man. Look at the thread where they all show you their OTHER vehicles/houses/personal islands!!!

(To OP)

The ****-eating grin doesn't wear off...just warning ya.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Don't buy the first car you see.

I would test drive a few of them before I made my decision to buy this particular one.

There are alot of younger guys on here. I will be 24 in October.

Good luck with your purchase
Old 09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Rocknthehawk
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J S Machine
Don't buy the first car you see.

I would test drive a few of them before I made my decision to buy this particular one.

There are alot of younger guys on here. I will be 24 in October.

Good luck with your purchase

Heh...well...my birthday is in two weeks...and I still won't be able to legally drink for a year (which I can honestly say I don't do).

The dealership is asking way too much for this car. Unless the price comes down to something reasonable, I'll keep searching. They want $21,999 for it. I understand it's a one owner car, but it IS a 97 A4. I always wondered why corvettes even came as an auto...but after test driving it...I really don't mind it. I almost think I prefer it

I talked with my twin brother last night about it. There really is no comparison, especially in the price range. Last year I looked at a 350Z...and while it was nice, and decently quick...not the same feeling at all. My sister in law has a Mach1, and it's rediculous with the amount of power....but still, not comparision to the driving feel of the Vette.

There's two on this forum within reasonable distance from me that I'm keeping an eye on. When I can get someone to give me the go ahead on my truck, I'll find the right one for me.

Pics you want? I'll make this my mini-introduction.

the car i test drove:

my current ride (don't mind the dirt, it was a 3 hour drive)

my show truck:

and me (guinness world record holder for the tallest mohawk):

Last edited by Rocknthehawk; 09-24-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
nwdanner
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound level headed, so I will offer this comment: find a Z06 model and take it for a test drive too.

Used, the Z06's are not much costlier than a C5 coupe!

Either way, the addiction will only grow...and welcome to your introductory membership in the CAC (Corvette Addicts Club).

Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocknthehawk
and me (guinness world record holder for the tallest mohawk):

You might want to look at our convertible line-up..
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Sell the show truck...

Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep

Keep the Ford Ranger, you're C5 will need a garage/driveway companion. Besides, you'll be wanting to take the Vette to the car shows from now on...
Good Luck and have fun!
Aloha,
Michael

ps, first one I ever drove is in my avatar photo!!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM
captras
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts

Corvettes....They ARE an addiction and they do cost you money....but at least they are legal! Welcome to our world!
Old 09-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We've all had the same sort of introduction and can relate! Now that you've done that, been lurking here, shared pictures, and are in "the hunt," how about filling in your profile so we know more about our new member besides his haircut? Welcome aboard!
Old 09-24-2008, 06:16 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Congrats on catching the CORVETTE FEVER!

I agree with the previous poster who recommended you fill in your personal info in your profile.

There are many on this forum who may have a Corvette for sale or know of someone who does.

I have my pristine 2002 Millineum Yellow convertible with six speed and all the other desirable options (12 CD player, F45 suspension, HUD, etc.) for sale on the "C5's for sale" section of this form. My car has never been abused in any way. PLEASE CHECK OUT MY AD! The only reason I am selling this car is that I can no longer drive it because of my bad left knee. I am 62 years old and facing knee replacement surgery within the next year.
My car has less than 27k miles on it and most of that is cruise control mileage at 70-75 mph. This car easily gets 29-31 mpg on road trips and is very comfortable with its six way power seats and adjustable suspension. My car is still under the GMPP ZERO deducible extended warranty until April 2009 or 52.1k miles.
There aren't very many C5's out there that are still under warranty and whenever you buy a used car that warranty is very important.

Sanford in Saraland, Al.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:50 PM
50thcoupe
Drifting

Do you feel like a large mouth bass! Sounds like your caught...
Hook, line and sinker! Congrats!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:03 PM
BUBBAS 01Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigYellaJeep

Great description of your first test drive btw !!! I don't think that feeling ever stops !
Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 PM
pokeyjones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my 99 FRC for almost a month. Always wanted one, now I have one... I rule!

Your first impression is correct, fast and certainly capable of showing same. Considering the purchase I was worried about tickets, turns out I baby the car. If the need arises I'll be ready - just ask that turbo Integra from last week.

If you buy one, remember that Vette drivers NEVER wave to each other.

lifestyle!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Before you buy test drive a 6 speed and you will be hooked!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I had a similar experience at 21 years old when I test drove a used 1971 454 for the first time. Bought a new 1972 (in 1972) and have been driving Corvettes almost exclusively everyday since that time. The C5 is the best so far!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Wombat24
Racer

Congrats on catching the fever! Hopefully we will be able to welcome you to the family soon! Very well put on your statements about Vette owners having nothing to prove. That's a great attitude to remember when folks are driving stupid trying to get you to "play".

As far as the price on that Vette, that is a high price. I paid a few thousand less than that two years ago for my 97 and it only had 36k. Look around and you should be able to find a good deal, especially with the summer coming to an end.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:20 AM
iluvmyvettes
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rocknthehawk
You KNOW the cars capabilities and don't need to show it.

That's it in a nutshell.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:33 AM
Grayeagle
Instructor

It'll get worse

The grin, the wannabe's, and the sheer fun

I still stop and look back .. *every* time ..it just looks sooo good.

After a hard day, walkin out to the parkin lot, my step gets lighter, my mood mellows, and I start grinning.

It is that good.

-Frank (2 years an countin, 122k miles, 13's in the quarter, ..it's just FUN)
Old 09-25-2008, 02:45 AM
Rocknthehawk
Cruising

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I filled out some of my profile info, there's not a whole lot to put there.

I'm sure i'll end up in a C5...just waiting for the right buyer for my truck. I'm trying to sell it on a Ranger forum before I advertise it local.

It's good to know that feeling doesn't go away....The only problem I'll have is that if I don't buy one soon, I won't have much time to enjoy it before it gets tucked away for the harsh New England winter.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Rocknthehawk
Cruising

Originally Posted by FLACHUSNRET
Congrats on catching the CORVETTE FEVER!

I agree with the previous poster who recommended you fill in your personal info in your profile.

There are many on this forum who may have a Corvette for sale or know of someone who does.

I have my pristine 2002 Millineum Yellow convertible with six speed and all the other desirable options (12 CD player, F45 suspension, HUD, etc.) for sale on the "C5's for sale" section of this form. My car has never been abused in any way. PLEASE CHECK OUT MY AD! The only reason I am selling this car is that I can no longer drive it because of my bad left knee. I am 62 years old and facing knee replacement surgery within the next year.
My car has less than 27k miles on it and most of that is cruise control mileage at 70-75 mph. This car easily gets 29-31 mpg on road trips and is very comfortable with its six way power seats and adjustable suspension. My car is still under the GMPP ZERO deducible extended warranty until April 2009 or 52.1k miles.
There aren't very many C5's out there that are still under warranty and whenever you buy a used car that warranty is very important.

Sanford in Saraland, Al.
Thank you for the offer on your car, but I'm sure it's out of my price range.

I've found a few more in my local search. Unfortunately the person that was going to buy my truck just bought a house, and does not have the money at the moment. Looks like I'll be trying to make a local sale or try fleabay.

Quick Reply: My first test drive in a Vette...