Sponsored by:

Auto vs 6 Speed???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Storx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto vs 6 Speed???

I am looking into owning my first corvette because my financial stability has finally come to a good point were i can actually purchase one. I currently drive an 01 Audi TTQ 225 that i have owned for the past 5 years and its nice and all but i have always fonded the corvette. My Dad had one my entire life but his is an 76 and is nothing like the new ones that i am interested. I am looking at the C5 era and everyone i have talked to told me to go straight to the Z06. Well i have never owned an automatic and i test drove an 04 today that had an auto in it and i was amazed in the way it drove and how nice it was to drive and not shift over and over in traffic. I took the car for a 12 hour test drive the dealer gave me and i went on a little road trip with it today to my favorite sushi place about 45 minutes away. Well the entire day driving it i averaged 28.2 MPG and i was amazed. I never really got into it much because it was raining today and the one time i got into it.. it started to dance behind me...
So my question is what is the drawbacks of the automatic LS1 vs the Manual LS1... and then what is the big difference between the LS1 and the LS6 to really dish out the extra cash for....

I have looked and all i can see on the Z06 is that its 168 pounds lighter because of the exhuast, wheels and glass.... and the LS6 is an LS1 with LS6 heads.. am i right??? if so is it really worth it...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,362 Likes on 14,012 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I've owned two 6-speed C5s and liked them both. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with going with an automatic tranny either. Both offer good performance (especially if you get the performance axle with the auto). If you have a lot of heavy traffic, you might want to consider that if you look at the manual tranny. Best thing to do is just to drive several examples of each and see which one fits your driving style.

One of the big differences between the LS1 and LS6 is obviously the HP ratings. Plus the LS6 platform has upgraded suspension, different tranny ratios, and would be a hardtop rather than a targa or vert.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Here are some differences, taken from an article on the 2001 Z06 when it first debuted. Check the links at the bottom.

Aluminum Block
The aluminum block casting on the LS6 deletes machined holes in the LS1 bulkhead and adds cast-in "windows" that allow better bay-to-bay breathing. On the downstroke, the pistons push air back toward the crankcase, creating backpressure or resistance, and that translates into parasitic horsepower loss because it resists piston motion. With the overtravel windows, air is allowed to move more freely between crankcase bays, thus relieving the unwanted pressure.

Pistons
LS6 pistons are cast from high-strength M142 aluminum alloy and reshaped with a slightly different profile than those in the LS1. In side view, the LS6 pistons have a slight barrel shape, almost imperceptible to the naked eye. The new alloy increases engine durability at racetrack operating levels, while the shape reduces internal mechanical noise.

Increased Compression
The LS6's aluminum cylinder heads are cast with pent-roof combustion chambers that are smaller than the LS1's. Compression ratio increases from 10.1:1 to 10.5:1, improving thermal efficiency and increasing horsepower. Intake and exhaust ports in the LS6 head are refined and more precisely cast, contributing to the engine's overall increase in volumetric efficiency.

High-Profile Camshaft
The LS6-specific, steel-billet camshaft contributes more than any other single piece of hardware to the LS6's horsepower gain. In simple terms, the cam opens the valves quicker and allows more air to flow into the combustion chambers. Cam lift increases from the LS1's 12.7mm to 13.3mm.

Stronger Valve Springs
To accommodate valve operation with the high lift/long duration cam, the LS6's valve springs are stiffer and sturdier. They are made from the same steel wire as those in the LS1 but are wound tighter for a higher spring rate.

Fuel Injectors
Additional air flowing into the LS6 heads would serve no purpose without an equivalent increase in the amount of fuel to take advantage of it. New injectors increase maximum fuel delivery from the LS1's 3.3 grams per second to 3.6 grams per seconds, for a 10 percent improvement.

Internal PCV System
The LS6's application in the Corvette Z06 creates additional demands on the crankcase ventilation system. The Z06 is capable of cornering at more than 1 lateral g, requiring a special high-performance ventilation system. To prepare the Z06 for all-out driving, the LS6's PCV system is moved into the engine's V, or valley. The unique aluminum valley cover incorporates composite oil-separating baffles and PCV plumbing. All of this reduces oil consumption during high-performance driving and, as an added benefit, also reduces the amount of external plumbing, eliminating potential oil-leak sources.

Exhaust Manifolds
Thin-wall cast-iron exhaust manifolds replace the previous stainless steel manifolds to improve durability, given the LS6 engine's potential for being involved in sustained high-speed driving.

Exhaust System
To further maximize the breathing capabilities of the LS6 and significantly reduce vehicle mass, a new titanium exhaust system was developed for the Z06. This marks the first-ever use of titanium in the exhaust system of a mass-production vehicle. The titanium portion of the Z06's exhaust system starts just forward of the rear axle, then goes over the top of the axle to the muffler. The entire muffler, all of its internal parts and exterior skin, the outlet pipes, including the exhaust tips, are constructed of titanium. The Z06 muffler is a completely new design featuring larger-diameter louver tubes inside the mufflers to reduce backpressure and provide less restriction for the exhaust gases flowing through the system. The exhaust tips are different too, with four 3.5-in.-dia. tips to visually set the Z06 apart from the standard Corvette. Titanium offers a lower density than steel, and higher strength than either magnesium or aluminum at all temperatures. It reduces the Z06's weight by 17.6 pounds a whopping 50 percent reduction compared to the weight of the stainless steel exhaust system used on the Corvette coupe and convertible. In addition to easing exhaust gas restrictions, reducing mass and looking distinctive, this exhaust system sounds more aggressive than that of the standard Corvette. Considerable time and effort went into the design and tuning of the mufflers to ensure an exhaust note that would be unique to the Z06.

Powertrain Enhancements
In addition to providing more power and better fuel economy, Corvette engineers upgraded the operation and durability of the rest of the Corvette powertrain.

Stronger Driveshaft
The driveshaft is upgraded from a metalmatrix composite to aluminum alloy 6061, and it is increased in diameter from 55mm to 63mm. Driveshaft couplings have also been upgraded on manual-equipped models for additional strength and durability.

M12 6-Speed Manual
This transmission is unique to the Z06, and is the only transmission available for that model. It is not available on Corvette coupes or convertibles. It has more aggressive gearing to increase torque multiplication in most forward gears, allowing for more rapid acceleration and more usable torque at higher speeds. A transmission temperature sensor was added to protect the M12 from higher thermal stresses. The sensor warns the driver via the Driver Information Center with a TRANS OVER TEMP light if thermal loads become excessive, meaning that the transmission could be damaged if not allowed to cool down.

Gear Ratios
LS1/MM6 LS6/M12
1st Gear 2.66:1 2.97:1
2d Gear 1.78:1 2.07:1
3d Gear 1.30:1 1.43:1
4th Gear 1.00:1 1.00:1
5th Gear 0.74:1 0.84:1
6th Gear 0.50:1 0.56:1
Reverse 2.90:1 3.28:1

Synchronizers
Carbon blocker rings have been installed on all manual transmission forward gears to provide for smoother shifts and additional robustness.

FE4 Suspension
The Z06 features a suspension system all its own designated FE4. It's not available on other Corvette models but is standard equipment on the Z06. It features a larger front stabilizer bar, a stiffer rear leaf spring, revised camber settings and unique shock calibrations, all engineered with a bias toward maximum control during high-speed operation. The suspension component specifications are: Front stabilizer bar diameter (hollow): 30mm with 4.5mm-thick walls. Rear transverse composite spring leaf: 125 N/mm versus 113 N/mm of the Z51. Camber, front and rear: Z06: -0.75° (coupe/convertible: -0.25°). The Z06's negative camber helps to keep the tire flatter in relation to the road, and raises the tire contact patch for greater grip while cornering. When coupled with other special Z06 components, the combination provides unparalleled, all-out racetrack performance, which is what the Z06 is all about. During development testing, Corvette engineers were able to generate racetrack speeds that improved Z06 performance by an average of 3 to 4 seconds per lap over last year's hardtop model on typical 2-mile closed-circuit road courses. This we were able to test for ourselves at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, where we had the chance to drive a standard coupe and a Z06, back to back.

Wheels
Z06 wheels are wider front and rear than those on the standard Corvette: The new wheels are also one of the visual identifiers for the Z06, letting onlookers know that this car is something special. They are uniquely styled, and are the most mass-efficient aluminum wheels ever produced for Corvette. They are painted a light metallic gray, and show off the Z06's red brake calipers, especially when the car is in motion. Each wheel's center cap has a red Corvette crossed-flags emblem for added identification when the car is at rest.

Tires
Goodyear has specifically designed new wider, stickier tires for the Z06. Called Goodyear Eagle F1 SC (Supercar) tires, they allow the Z06 to handle, brake and perform better than any production Corvette, ever. Sizewise, the new tires differ from the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS EMT tires on coupes and convertibles as follows: While larger, these tires are much lighter than the EMT tires, reducing mass by a total of 23.4 pounds. The Eagle F1 SC tires have an asymmetric tread pattern to enable the fantastic cornering capabilities of the Z06. With the asymmetric pattern, the outside shoulder of the tire performs well in the dry, while the inside tread performs well in the wet. Taking mass out of the tires is extremely beneficial for wheel control because it reduces unsprung weight. It also reduces rotational mass, which improves acceleration and braking performance. Wheel control on the Z06 is also improved due to the more compliant sidewalls on these new, non-EMT tires. Because these tires do not have the "run flat" capabilities of the EMT tires, it was necessary to develop a process for dealing with tire punctures, since Corvettes do not come equipped with a spare tire. In the case of the Z06, a GM Tire Inflator Kit is included that is capable of sealing punctures up to 5mm in diameter. The kit consists of a squeeze bottle filled with a non-flammable latex compound in an aqueous base, a nozzle that attaches to the tire valve, and a mini air compressor with a 12-volt adapter that plugs into the car's accessory power outlet. The latex compound in the tire inflator kits is not compatible with the tire valves used in Corvette's standard tire pressure monitoring system, so regular tire valves are used and that option is not offered on the Z06. There is a mass reduction of just over a half-pound as a result.

The Z06 receives several other refinements in addition to its unique engine, suspension, wheels and tires that either help it to be more functional or serve to differentiate its appearance, sometimes both.

Having the best of both worlds reduced weight and increased power makes the Corvette Z06 a force to be reckoned with, on or off the track.

Air Management
Functional air inlets in the center of the front fascia deliver cool air to the intake system. New air scoops on the rear rocker panels funnel air to the rear brakes for better cooling. Z06 rear brake temperatures are reduced by as much as 10 percent under competition conditions. Brake fade and wear are greatly reduced.

Appearance
Z06 emblems are placed on the front fenders. Front and rear disc brake calipers on the Z06 are painted red. Inside, the Z06 includes a different instrument cluster with stylized graphics and a higher 6500 rpm redline.

The Z06's leather-trimmed seating surfaces include additional side bolstering to hold driver and passenger firmly in place during high lateral load maneuvers, and a Z06 logo is embroidered into the headrests.

Here are some links. The first link is from when the 2001 Z06 was introduced and the second shows the changes for the 2002 model year Z06. The 2003-2004 Z06's were the basically the same as the 2002 except for the shocks in the '04:

2001 Z06 info: http://www.z06vette.com/01.php

2002 thru 2004 Z06 info: http://www.z06vette.com/02.php

More info: http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page4.htm

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/z06/

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...z06/index.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/

http://www.idavette.net/hib/02ls6/index.htm
Old 09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

OK... my vette is my 2nd "performance" car. The first was an auto. Kept it 5 years and tried to drive it like a manual. Was pissed off for 5 years I didn't buy a stick.

When I bought my 04, new... 6 speed all the way. 4 1/2 years later would do it again.

Dude, it's a Corvette.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Both the choice between a Z06 and a coupe and 6 speed versus auto depends on your preferences and how you'll use the car.

Z06 = no top down fun, better performance.
Coupe = Targa top off and luggage space.

My 92 is a coupe because I knew we'd use it for long trips and C4 verts have practically -0- luggage room compared to the coupe.

My 03 is a vert because it has a trunk with real storage space.

Both are 6 speeds since both my wife and I prefer them over automatics.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
jeremyttt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an auto and love it, just get which one you want
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
N4cer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see the minimal performance increase being worth the added Z06 price in C5s, most people are going to mod anyway and most can't drive a base model c5 to its limits. So the only real reason to me for Z06 over coupe or vert would be the bling factor. And i think being able to pull out my targa top or to roll back a vert far outweighs the Z06 badges. But to each his own. Many purists disagree i'm sure.

As for auto vs m6,it does get very old shifting all the time. But the 4L6Xe is famous for crapping out early. So it's a no win situation on c5 transmissions.

Last edited by N4cer; 09-10-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
DaBoz
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by N4cer
As for auto vs m6,it does get very old shifting all the time.

No... no it doesn't. In fact it's a friken thrill every time I drive it!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Riley P
Racer

If I ever want a break from shifting I just shift directly into 4th from first. Saves shifting when putting around and saves fuel. Yes I do have the CAGS defeated so I can shift where ever I want to.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

First Vette was an A4. It was nice.

Second Vette is a MN6. It is awesome!

But that is my preference. Choose which one you want.

Heck, my 3rd one may be an A6 convertible. Ya never know.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Please fill out your profile so members don't think they're being spoofed by another scammer.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:25 AM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

Too hard to drink coffee, eat a breakfast burrito, and shift too.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:26 AM
jserio
O.C.
Support Corvetteforum!

Personally speaking I will never own an automatic vette. The six banger is just way to much fun in these cars.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:58 AM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it would depend on the type of driving you are going to with the car. If it is a DD and you are always in stop & go traffic, driving in hilly city terrain (like San Francisco), maybe the way to go is an auto. But if it mostly for fun, aggressive driving (curves & road courses), a garage queen, a play toy, etc, I would go for the manual tranny.

Like the some of posts stated, the bottom line is still going to be your decision. Personally, unless you have handicap that makes driving a stick undesirable, get a stick – I wished I did!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:08 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

My first C5 was an A4 '98. I loved that car and it was hard to give up. It got great mpg's and was extremely reliable. The amount of fun with that car was priceless. Had I not test drove a Z06 I would still have been content with it for a long time. One day I took a test drive in a Z06. I loved shifting, the firmer ride and the extra hp. That was it, never looked back. Changed cars and never regretted it. No matter what you choose, you won't be disappointed. If an auto suits your needs, get one. Especially if you're stuck in traffic.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This one's easy.Just drive a Z06 and all will be answered.Then drive one with F/I and you will have a chubby for a week.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

If you drive in a lot of traffic I would get the auto

Get notified of new replies

To Auto vs 6 Speed???

Old 09-11-2008, 07:58 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,307 Posts

I'll never understand why anyone would ask someone else which they should buy. Maybe you could post on a food forum what you should have for dinner. After you buy, you'll be posting, "Should I take off my BSM's or leave them?"
Drive both and buy whatever blows your dress tail up.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jacks996
If you drive in a lot of traffic I would get the auto
I had a 4 speed in a heavily modded 69 and ,although it was fun, after I got an A4 C5 and installed a high stall TC and 3.42, I have more low end torque (TC torque multiplication) and can still drink my coffee or hold my wife's hand (or whatever else)
For pure straight line performance and a civilized ride, I love the modded autos. (My daily driver is a 5 speed Miata)

Last edited by Blow Torch; 09-11-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
pabmd
Cruising

Went with the A4. It was a compromise so the wife can drive it too. Not as much fun for me, but hey, I got a Corvette!

Quick Reply: Auto vs 6 Speed???