Sponsored by:

Best way to ship Ti Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
bvillezo6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best way to ship Ti Exhaust?

I'm shipping my stock Ti Z06 exhaust to a friend. Was looking for some advice on the best/cheapest way to send it. Thanks.

Jim
Old 08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bvillezo6
I'm shipping my stock Ti Z06 exhaust to a friend. Was looking for some advice on the best/cheapest way to send it. Thanks.

Jim
Jim:

If I said "The best way to ship them is in a box" would you smack me ? Sorry, I had to say it.

I shipped a set of them a few years back. I first wrapped them up, and boxed them as well as I could. I measured the box, and weighed it. I then went to all the local shippers (UPS/USPS/Fed Ex/ etc...) and got quotes till I found the cheapest. I don't remember who was the cheapest now. It was a long while ago. Sorry

It sucks the Ti's are all one piece but I was able to angle mine to fit together in a decent sized box. If you lay them out side by side, your box will be HUGE !

Hope this helps.

Toque
Old 08-05-2008, 05:45 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

I just shipped mine to the new owner. I bubble wrapped the tips and mufflers, then laid them on top of each other then taped them all together with shipping tape, Then went back over with more tape on the mufflers and tips, went through 3/4 of a roll.

My local UPS did not have any decent boxes, so this is what I had to do. They have done this in the past and thought it would be ok. I sure hope they are, but I'm the one who taped everything up tight just so I knew it was done the best that it could be.

I'll find out on Thursday when they arrive in AZ.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I just shipped a set recently using UPS from work. I had just received a large optical comparator I had ordered so I had this perfect-sized, super-heavy-duty box from that. I wrapped the Ti's carefully and strapped them inside the box and they arrived in perfect conditio, according to the buyer. The box was larger than I needed but worked nicely. Ti's are tough so my packaging was overkill but I wanted the buyer to feel I went the extra mile to protect his purchase.

I paid ~$30 to ship them Ground from Louisville, KY to NY. Shipped on Monday and arrived there two days later.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:29 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Get Bit
I just shipped mine to the new owner. I bubble wrapped the tips and mufflers, then laid them on top of each other then taped them all together with shipping tape, Then went back over with more tape on the mufflers and tips, went through 3/4 of a roll..

Wrap the tips in cardboard as well as bubble wrap......lots of layers.......imagine them being dragged across concrete with the tips on the concrete...........because this well may happen

I know from experience
Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Thingobump
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my ti's came from az, w/ just some cardboard, bubble wrap and tape. not a ding or scratch on them.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 AM
mvvette97
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I have been looking for a set and was also wondering how a seller would be able to ship them.. Now I know
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Mac11
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bubblewrap the tips and flanges, tag 'em and ship 'em Greyhound = cheap and fast. Worked for me, 400 miles, $40 & overnite.

Last edited by Mac11; 08-06-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
bvillezo6
Pro

Originally Posted by Mac11
Bubblewrap the tips and flanges, tag 'em and ship 'em Greyhound = cheap and fast. Worked for me, 400 miles, $40 & overnite.
Dude! i totally should have done this, i didnt even know this was an option....instead i followed Toque's advice and used a box So for all those out there wondering what it costs to ship using ups...came out to $212 including the large package fee to ship the Ti's from south texas to just north of DC. Combined that with a box building and packaging fee and it came out to $292 My buddy is paying the shipping cost but im still in a little shock. So to anybody wondering how to ship them, ups works and is probably the most reliable, but 3 hundo is a lil steep. If you can find a greyhound station that sounds like a slick way to ship it on the cheap

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to ship Ti Exhaust?

Quick Reply: Best way to ship Ti Exhaust?