Old 08-02-2008, 08:34 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Big issues?

Hey guys-

Drove an 03 z06 today, 10K miles
Couple of things-

1) Does millenium yellow grow on you or is it always shocking to walk up on?

2) The car has had the battery replaced, the yaw sensor, and the exhaust aligned on the gm service history

3) I ran the dtc codes through the DIC and got two AC codes related to the HVAC actuator? The passenger side control did not seem to do anything as regards to changing the display or temperature control

4) There seems to be some sort of rattle in the back that sounds like the exhaust- I am thinking it is the polished titanium tips hitting the z06 chrome plate the previous owner added between them?

5) Are the 3 piece chrome z06 rims (aftermarket) really worth more than the factory painted zo6 rims?

Thanks!
Andrew
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Some ideas.

Well I can't answer all your questions but I can take a stab at some of them.

1. Yellow is always an eye grabbing color, but like anything you can get used to it. The only issue is contrary to what has been said before Electron Blue is the fastest color, NOT M Yellow.. heh.

2. Batteries are a given. I think everyone on here has replaced their battery. GM stopped making the AGM ones too so the replacement they list now is a wet cell. This is very bad, make sure to put a dry cell in it. Bunch of good brands out there Optima, Exide etc.

I had AH issues once and it set a code. Was just a loose connection. If it had been new I would have just taken it to the dealership and they would have swapped the part. That's just how they work. Not an issue.

Don't get me started on exhaust not aligning. I just assumed it was the aftermarket stuff since it has another piece to move but I guess the factory one could be installed wrong just as easily.

3. No clue on A/C stuff

4. When my exhaust was misalinged it would bump things under the car and make mystery thumps at certain times. I just had to move it so it didn't. No biggee. It's a very tight fit.

5. Most aftermarket 'repro' rims are heavy as cement so I wouldn't trade my stock ones for them. They do look awefully nice and alledgely some brands of 'repro look alikes' aren't that bad weight wise. But I have seen numbers like 5+lbs a wheel heavier and that's not so great. They look sweet though so I would eBay them for more than a stock set cost and put the stockers back on. Polish them if you want the bling. Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:24 AM
hpfiend
Pro

Yes it does help alot thanks!

These are the rims I am referring to...
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-296-3841.html

Last edited by hpfiend; 08-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't believe Yellow is shocking but it the best color for hiding imperfections in the paint. Yes you won't blend in with traffic. And you will have more bugs attracted to the car.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 AM
VTELVR
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11

On the passenger side A/C ****, the drivers side **** is the one that will change the readout on the a/c controls. The passenger side will not affect the readout, although it does change as you turn the ****. A test that will help you make sure its working correctly: turn the drivers all the way down, then turn the passenger side all the way up, then try it vice versa. If the higher side feels warmer, it works! Good luck!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpfiend
Hey guys-

Drove an 03 z06 today, 10K miles
Couple of things-

1) Does millenium yellow grow on you or is it always shocking to walk up on?

2) The car has had the battery replaced, the yaw sensor, and the exhaust aligned on the gm service history

3) I ran the dtc codes through the DIC and got two AC codes related to the HVAC actuator? The passenger side control did not seem to do anything as regards to changing the display or temperature control

4) There seems to be some sort of rattle in the back that sounds like the exhaust- I am thinking it is the polished titanium tips hitting the z06 chrome plate the previous owner added between them?

5) Are the 3 piece chrome z06 rims (aftermarket) really worth more than the factory painted zo6 rims?

Thanks!
Andrew
As for color...when I originally went looking it was for a torch red. I found a mint MY Z06 near me. I bought it and now am glad I have that color! It will grow on you I think!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

>>Does millenium yellow grow on you

Not me

>>The passenger side control did not seem
>>to do anything as regards to changing
>>the display or temperature control

The passenger side will not change the display and to be honest it does not change the temps all that much. The "Dual Zone" setup in this car is not very effective.

>>There seems to be some sort of rattle in the
>>back that sounds like the exhaust-

It could be the typical exhaust jingle all of these cars have. Do a search, it might be a normal sound.

>>Are the 3 piece chrome z06 rims (aftermarket)
>>really worth more than the factory painted zo6 rims?

No.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The passenger control **** for the HVAC does not change any of the displays .... and has little (small) effect on the actual temperatures.

Face facts .... you think your girlfriend sitting next to you is gonna be wearing a hula skirt and singing "Margaritaville" while you wear an Eskimo parka and watch snow form inside your side of the car ???????

The passenger dial is good for, at the most, about a 6 degree difference in temperature side to side inside the car.

Millenium Yellow ..... like any color .... it's a personal decision .... do you think the car looks good in the color ??? If yes .... buy it. Car companies offer multiple colors because we all feel differently about color ..... to each his own ... don't ask others what color to buy ... ask yourself.

Aftermarket rims are, to me, like car color .... if you love them ... buy them .... about the only two MAJOR external changes you can decide on with a C5 are the color and the wheels.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:29 PM
bigbadbevo
Instructor

Andrew,

1. Since you are asking, it doesn't bode well. MY is not for everyone and it's "shock and awe" factor is the biggest appeal for those of us who own one. The C5-R was painted yellow for a reason... Personally, I wouldn't settle for a color I didn't feel strongly about.

2. I agree w/ the others, batts on these things are no big deal unless there was a leak and ancillary damage stemming from it. Can't comment on the sensor alignment- hopefully, they didn't find that one out the hard way...

3. Agree w/ the others, the dual climate thing is a tad overrated, the diff is neglible unless you go to opposite ends of the spectrum. Not sure why you got the codes but I get weird codes after I re-install my battery but once cleared they don't come back. Try clearing them and see if they resurface.

4. Are you talking about the type of plate that fastens around the tips? If so, chances are pretty good that's the case. Regardless, realigning the tips is no big deal either for aesthetics or rattling (unless there was some custom work done to it).

5. Don't know much about those particular after-market wheels but the OE ones are pretty darn nice for many reasons (e.g. weight, durability, quality, etc...).

Hope that helps.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Thanks everyone-

I really like how it looks in yellow but it is a bit radical... either way they sold it without even countering my offer... oh well... on to the next one. I hated those rims and was only going to buy it if they put stock rims back on it and fixed the ac.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,506 Likes on 1,014 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hang in there Andrew, your car is out there waiting for you, you'll know it when you find it. Meanwhile do your homework here and it will pay off!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
hpfiend
Pro

Thanks guy... LOL silver one sold as well. For a recession/gas crisis, these cars are going pretty quickly!

Anyone have an unmodified 02-03 QS car or 02-04 MY z06 car, under 25K miles they haven't listed yet? I am looking for one with the body side mouldings installed.

I would prefer 200 miles of columbus, ohio but will fly in for the right car.

Last edited by hpfiend; 08-05-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:11 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

need to get on that so you can get a few of the autocrosses in this year. also the stock wheels are lighter than most aftermarket wheels. you already know if you have any questions you can PM me on here or CR.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
BitViper
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its kismet..mine was listed on Ebay for only an hour before I got it....
04 with 10K....

Vetts are a hot market right now...lots of deals to be had. Where else can you get a ugly fast/quick sports car with the cache' of a vette fo next to nothing...
Old 08-05-2008, 04:44 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

with everything they say above.

Don't let the dealer try to raise the price of the car for the wheels. They are heavier than stock, and will reduce the car's performance. Tell the dealer to reduce the price of the car because of the heavy wheels. ..... Im serious though.... Tell him you want the stock wheels back on there.

Toque
Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
hpfiend
Pro

Originally Posted by Toque
with everything they say above.

Don't let the dealer try to raise the price of the car for the wheels. They are heavier than stock, and will reduce the car's performance. Tell the dealer to reduce the price of the car because of the heavy wheels. ..... Im serious though.... Tell him you want the stock wheels back on there.

Toque
Thanks AJ- I know there aren't that many events left--- I will probably get one after the first snow hits and people get desperate.

toque- yeah thats what I said- they sold it to someone that took it as is...

Yeah ebay is nice but I don't want to go that route unless the car is local. ebay is a lot like a box of chocolates...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Wouldn't know about yellow.

My Z has the Color Delete option
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by hpfiend
toque- yeah thats what I said- they sold it to a sucker that took it as is...
Fixed it for you....

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To Big issues?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Big issues?