Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:14 PM
ezlyf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!

Just got back from a car show that really was good times and was fun but when it came to participate judging thats when all hell broke loose. I don't car if i get reamed on this forum or not just a lil Pisssed off for the simple fact I have a C5 and have put over $20,000 in mods in it myself and end up getting 3rd place because the guy who took 2nd had a stock 2003 vette and the guy who took first had 2 mods top done to his vette but hey guess what THEY BOTH BELONG TO THE SAME LOCAL VETTE CLUB. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you wana compare apples to apples thats fine if i lose great... but if i get first place trophies all day long and complements all day long to a car that never had a finger touched on it but differnet colored mats???? come on what is fair here??? I think they should have seperated the classes into mod and stock classes. I'm just ranting because if you have spent alot of time and money in your pride joy to strictly compete and end up getting beat by a popular vote don't expect me to be at your next freaking car show!!!! I didn't put $20,000 worth of accessories in my ride to not come in first. I would have left it completly stock. i know this sounds cocky but hey its all for show if not I'd be wearing a $25,000 ROLEX.................

Last edited by ezlyf; 07-27-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,837 Likes on 1,019 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Wasn't it fun to get out in the fresh air and see a whole bunch of other car enthusiasts?

P.S. If it makes you feel better, I worked all day today.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:19 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Pics?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Maybe you shouldn't enter your car in car shows. Car shows, dog shows, beauty pagents, and shows of that ilk are subjective not objective.

Being upset just because you spent $20k on mods and the guys that came ahead of you didn't spend as much is spewing sour grapes on your part don't you think? Can we say: immature.

Would you have felt better if the winner spent $50k on his mods?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Unfortunately peoples choice car shows are popularity contests. Most people vote for their friends, not the best car. I have felt similar pain, but life goes on. Just find shows that are judged more fairly.

Last edited by Cozmo; 07-26-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
Pics?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 PM
10U 99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

welcome to the world of "good ol' boys" car shows. you are not the first to experience this, trust me.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear about this all the time, which is why I don't bother to enter, just like putting her on display and checking out the other rides.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I've experienced what you have many times.

I don't go to car shows to win or gather another trophy. I still attend them, but most often don't even officially register, or bother putting the "vote for" sign on the dash. I go just to enjoy taking the car out, sitting in the sun, talking to folks, and most importantly, just not being at work.

The best part is...if I'm not officially part of the show, and have no chance of winning, I can leave when I feel like it, and not have to sit thru the typically never-ending trophy presentations.

One day you'll get to that point too...just keep attending local car shows.

And to Cozmo...Participant's choice is a far different and worse format than People's choice.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I don't know what car show you went to, But the shows I have gone to would never put a stock and a modded car in the same class, There is always a stock class, Modded class and so on, Sorry for your disapointment, It seems like because you were in the same class the judges went for the stock and clean look, We get an option what class we want to enter our cars in.
Again, Sorry.
Bill
Old 07-26-2008, 08:39 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ezlyf
Just got back from a car show that really was good times and was fun but when it came to participate judging thats when all hell broke loose. I don't car if i get reamed on this forum or not just a lil Pisssed off for the simple fact I have a C5 and have put over $20,000 in mods in it myself and end up getting 3rd place because the guy who took 2nd had a stock 2003 vette and the guy who took first had 2 mods top done to his vette but hey guess what THEY BOTH BELONG TO THE SAME LOCAL VETTE CLUB. BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you wana compare apples to apples thats fine if i lose great... but if i get first place trophies all day long and complements all day long to a car that never had a finger touched on it but differnet colored mats???? come on what is fair here??? I'm just ranting because if you have spent alot of time and money in your pride joy and end up getting beat by a popular vote don't expect me to be at your next freaking car show!!!! I didn't put $20,000 worth of accessories in my ride to not come in first. i know this sounds cocky but hey its all for show if not I'd be wearing a $25,000 ROLEX.................
Rex .... I'm the guy that took second place w/ the 2004 stock vert ...... there was over 140 vettes present, meaning over 140 possible participant voters. The vette club I belong to had approx. 12 -15 members present, 3 of them I have never met. That is a hell of a long way from 140.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but from what you are saying, whoever has the most invested in their car should win all the time, I'm sorry I disagree. I believe the reason I placed where I did was the color of my vette (Medium Spiral Gray w/ light gray interior) ..... I was the ONLY vehicle that color combo.

You have a very nice looking car and I have told you the same, but sometimes too much of a thing is not what everybody likes.

Take care and stay safe
Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 PM
50thcoupe
Drifting

First of all, it sounds like you love your car! That's the main thing! I go to some car shows but don't ever give any thought to winning.. but I have one of those STOCK vettes, so I shouldn't right? I enjoy some of the folks , but some are a$$ holes, notice the dollar signs!!! Everything in this world is all about who has the most money or this or that! Calm down and enjoy your ride, I'm sure it's very nice!!! Just my 2cents worth!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Bob CTS
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Sorry to hear about your experience but sometimes you just got to let it go.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Ed_78Vette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I've experienced what you have many times.

I don't go to car shows to win or gather another trophy. I still attend them, but most often don't even officially register, or bother putting the "vote for" sign on the dash. I go just to enjoy taking the car out, sitting in the sun, talking to folks, and most importantly, just not being at work.
The best part is...if I'm not officially part of the show, and have no chance of winning, I can leave when I feel like it, and not have to sit thru the typically never-ending trophy presentations.

One day you'll get to that point too...just keep attending local car shows.

And to Cozmo...Participant's choice is a far different and worse format than People's choice.

That's where I've been for 2-3 years already. With year round shows here, I got burned out on the 'politics' and realized winning a trophy is not why I'm there. I pay to get a spot, wipe er' down, eat a hot dog, talk stories with other vetters and go home. Its all good.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Most of the Corvette Club shows I attend around here have one rule in place.

Members cars are not judged and not eligible for awards or trophies.

Makes it nicer for all the other folks.

Personally I usually take the dash placard they give you for judging and toss in the goodie bag or under the seat.

I'll be at the all Ohio Corvette show with my retired autocross and HPDE car that I picked up from another CF member. He replaced it with a Z06.

I'm thinking about doing a display sign that says "This is what a Corvette looks like if you drive the shXX out of it."
Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by countylawdog
Rex .... I'm the guy that took second place w/ the 2004 stock vert ...... there was over 140 vettes present, meaning over 140 possible participant voters. The vette club I belong to had approx. 12 -15 members present, 3 of them I have never met. That is a hell of a long way from 140.

I'm sorry you feel this way, but from what you are saying, whoever has the most invested in their car should win all the time, I'm sorry I disagree. I believe the reason I placed where I did was the color of my vette (Medium Spiral Gray w/ light gray interior) ..... I was the ONLY vehicle that color combo.

You have a very nice looking car and I have told you the same, but sometimes too much of a thing is not what everybody likes.

Take care and stay safe
I completely agree. Iam not picking sides. Just adding my 02. I have been in this situation so many times with my C4. I had the thing freshly repainted and every single part replaced on the car. I won't even say how much I dropped into that car! It looked mint! Every show I entered I got tons and tons of looks but when it came down to the top winners, I never once even placed! How frustrating is that! I know your pain man, I do, I can remember going to many shows leaving so mad and angry and burning up the road. Chalk it up to inexperience and maturity level. As you go on in life you realize its not what you earn for a trophy, its how much YOU value your car. I still would love to earn a trophy for my C5, but as the movies say: If your not good enough without a trophy then your never going to be good enough with one.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Unfortunately, car show judging leaves a lot to be desired. You should not get excited about not winning. When you think about it, it’s only a POS hunk of junk trophy and it costs about $10. Enjoy your Vette and your mods, don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:59 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 92

Personally I usually take the dash placard they give you for judging and toss in the goodie bag or under the seat.

I'll be at the all Ohio Corvette show with my retired autocross and HPDE car that I picked up from another CF member. He replaced it with a Z06.

I'm thinking about doing a display sign that says "This is what a Corvette looks like if you drive the shXX out of it."
Blue 92 ....... I was not a member of the vette club sponsoring the event ..... I belong to a much smaller vette club and was attending there function.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue 92

That's usually the deal for the host club. But nothing prevents a another club that drives in over 10-20 cars and votes only for their member cars. BTDT.

Quick Reply: Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!