Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by Dave1998
This is a big help, but what if it were all types of cars, bikes, trucks ??

I am helping to run a fire departmentcharity show next month and want to either push for peoples choice or participant only voting.

So what do you think of this idea. I am leaning toward participant only voting as no clubs are involved and all cars are on neutral park turf. I was going to give each particpant a ballot to vote for 1 car in each class. I was then thinking of selling individual ballots for $1 each to raise money. What problems do you see?
Thanks
Dave
How big do you anticipate the show to be?

If this is an established event with a big (500+ car) turnout, what you suggest may work, or it at least makes participant choice viable.

If it's a smaller event, or one that's not been done before, I'd suggest keeping it people's choice, just for the sake of getting enough ballots and votes turned in.

Charity is always good, but I really don't see the idea of selling ballots to spectators as being very successful. I could be wrong though.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:52 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ezlyf
you couldn't have asked any sooner!!!!!!!!
Rex .... you need to understand old people ........ I had thought about earlier ......... then forget what I thought about ......... then it takes a couple days to remember what you forget 2 days ago!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,121 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me

If this is an established event with a big (500+ car) turnout, what you suggest may work, or it at least makes participant choice viable.

If it's a smaller event, or one that's not been done before, I'd suggest keeping it people's choice, just for the sake of getting enough ballots and votes turned in.

Charity is always good, but I really don't see the idea of selling ballots to spectators as being very successful. I could be wrong though.

I went to one recently. They gave out ballots (different colored for each class) Spectators Choice. It seemed very confusing to a lot of people.

Participant judging tends to be very biased.

I think you are better off to appoint 3 judges. Then have them judge the cars and combine the scores.

I would also suggest that you have a enough classes to make it fair but not so many that you only end up with 1 or 2 cars in a class.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Ron MN Blue
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rex,

I feel your pain. My brother and I wanted to be at the show that I believe you attended. We were at a family reunion in Clear Lake and would have gladly traded you places. No matter what, things could be worse. I typically go to shows with low expectations and enjoy the cars and people.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:07 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 821 Likes on 390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Spectator judging is probably the worst type of judging there is. Many pick a car because it is their favorite color, or they always want a car just like it. When it is participant judging, at least you have car people looking at the cars, although as been said before it can be friendship that gets the votes. In addition, if it is a large show, many of the participants never stray far from their car, so therefore they end up voting for the cars that are close to theirs with the normal wink, I picked yours you pick mine. I am not saying that everyone does this, but it does happen.

A true judged show is the best. Even then, there will be controversy. You will probably never go to a local show and wait for the awards and when they are presented, you will wonder how did some of the cars win. So go for the fun and just enjoy meeting new people. I know have spending many hours on your car detailing it and then getting shutout you will wonder what is going on. It has happened to me on more then one occasion. Yes, I will admit I am a little disappointed, but what the hell, it is just one less trophy to dust.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:09 PM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the real world of "Politics"!!
Old 07-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me

This is first year show on August 16. Little advertising so far. Turnout may not hit 100. Excluding motorcyles and trucks, there are 6 car classes. If number of entries per class is not big, I am trying to avoid the winner of each class being the person who brings along the biggest group of friends, which will happen if peoples choice; especially if crowd is small. I would rather see the nicer cars win.

Your thoughts
Old 07-28-2008, 05:49 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

What if your Car was the only one entered in it's Class and still didn't win.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dave1998
This is first year show on August 16. Little advertising so far. Turnout may not hit 100. Excluding motorcyles and trucks, there are 6 car classes. If number of entries per class is not big, I am trying to avoid the winner of each class being the person who brings along the biggest group of friends, which will happen if peoples choice; especially if crowd is small. I would rather see the nicer cars win.

Your thoughts
As I mentioned try to get 3 judges. Maybe invite a local radio DJ to be one of the judges and get the radio station to be at the event.

The idea is to make sure everybody is treated fairly and that you have fun.

I have also found that drawings seem to liven up the event and if you sell raffle tickets to the spectators as well everybody gets involved.

Next throw in a few Hooter type girls and you've got a sure success.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:56 PM
Red3644
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want trophies I'll give you all of mine. I don't even keep 'em anymore. You're gonna have to win a whole lotta trophies to get your
money's worth if that's what you're into. I just like the people and cars.
Don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean it bad but the guys who get upset when they don't win are pretty entertaining also.
I like stock/original cars but I also like neat mods done by talented people. If you made your own turbo set-up, welded up headers,
stitched your interior etc., then great. If you had someone do a great paint job and bolted on a ton of stuff I recognize from a catalog, then I couldn't care less. All in the eye .........
Old 07-28-2008, 06:49 PM
T VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 10U 99
welcome to the world of "good ol' boys" car shows. you are not the first to experience this, trust me.

I just go to have fun.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:06 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Purerock105
That's where I've been for 2-3 years already. With year round shows here, I got burned out on the 'politics' and realized winning a trophy is not why I'm there. I pay to get a spot, wipe er' down, eat a hot dog, talk stories with other vetters and go home. Its all good.
Me too.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:14 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Glad I read this thread...not

Peace
Chip
Old 07-28-2008, 07:20 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's one for you...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:31 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willfulone
Glad I read this thread...not

Peace
Chip
I've had the same discussion with another buddy of mine.. I go to all the local shows.. Most I don't even care if I get judged.. I'm there to have a good time and hang out with friends. Pretty soon it'll be winter and I'll be wishing I could be hanging out at the car shows!!

Enjoy
Old 07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
VETTEV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I hear about this all the time, which is why I don't bother to enter, just like putting her on display and checking out the other rides.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

I just go to check out the babes checking out my BLOWER.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!

Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,580 Likes on 666 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by countylawdog
I say we forget about the online judging and Rex and I go have a beer! What do ya think Rex!!!!!!!
I say we ALL go have a beer and have fun with our cars!!
Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 AM
ROADAPPLE
Drifting

Welcome to local politics. Oh, by the way you can get a real nice Rolex Daytona for $12,000.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:40 AM
BowtieDiva70
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chemdawg99
Maybe you shouldn't enter your car in car shows. Car shows, dog shows, beauty pagents, and shows of that ilk are subjective not objective.

Being upset just because you spent $20k on mods and the guys that came ahead of you didn't spend as much is spewing sour grapes on your part don't you think? Can we say: immature.

Would you have felt better if the winner spent $50k on his mods?

Quick Reply: Why I Hate Participate Car Shows!!!