St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09

VaraRam all the way.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2008, 11:25 AM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If you live in a nanny state like CA, then do the Honker. They're CARB approved. Which means no hassles getting her smogged.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by GMANS C5
Here's my vote...

Painted torch red of course...

Nice job!!!

Vararam
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM
neokorros
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, the voting is still kinda close. anyone else out there have some input and votes?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:59 AM
TakeAwayTheFear
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the world of vettes, and i got the Honker, i am waiting for it to get to my house so i can put it on!!!

i got it over the vararam, because 1) i did not like the way the vararam looked, 2) i dont go over 80 very often, 3)dont go to the track, 4)dont like how it keeps the stock air bridge. etc.

so thats about it i guess i did like the vararam price over the honker, but for me the honker seems like the better choice. why spend money on something you dont like?
Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
californiakid
Instructor

"I like the idea that the VaraRam makes the "nose vents" functional and routes cold air into the engine. It saves me the time of "Gerry-rigging" up some crappy duct work from home depot."

But they waste some space doing it.

I voted for the Honker because you will not be tracking and you want something that will last.

I am on my second VaraRam system. I was so torn of getting something simple like the Twin Flow air intake or making my own ram air system from special plastic I have access to and can have molded using my existing VaraRam frames or even Home Depot.

My original VaraRam disintegrated and caused excessive blow by of contaminants into the MAF and the throttle body due to the filter always turning sideways from not fitting correctly. The replacement, something I opted for again since I already went through the pain of reversing the bolts on my lower air dam area, was of better quality somewhat.

I do not understand why the same lower duct system is used for both the Z06 and C5 coupe. The area that is used to mount on the outside of the lower duct is wasted space on a non-fog light vehicle. I would recommend that VaraRam use a simpler bolt on solution for Z06's and non-fog light models. This would save time and material to make these. The outside area of the lower intake of a Z06 comprises a fairly large intake area, however, the size of the available intake of the lower portion of the VaraRam is only half the space, this is wasted space in my book.

There is no doubt that there is a performance gain with the VaraRam system, however, many here have posted about quality control issues mostly fitting and cracking related due to age.

I agree with everyone else, if you want to race, VaraRam, be prepared to do some under hood time to check your MAF, throttle body and connections. Any others, well I only know that the Twin Air Flow with its simple design would be a install, forget and drive solution, except for your normal filter maintenance.

Ciao,
Californiakid
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM
californiakid
Instructor

"I like the idea that the VaraRam makes the "nose vents" functional and routes cold air into the engine. It saves me the time of "Gerry-rigging" up some crappy duct work from home depot."

But they waste some space doing it.

I voted for the Honker because you will not be tracking and you want something that will last.

I am on my second VaraRam system. I was so torn of getting something simple like the Twin Flow air intake or making my own ram air system from special plastic I have access to and can have molded using my existing VaraRam frames.

My original VaraRam disintegrated and caused excessive blow by of contaminants into the MAF and the throttle body due to the filter always turning sideways from not fitting correctly. The replacement, something I opted for again since I already went through the pain of reversing the bolts on my lower air dam area, was of better quality somewhat.

I do not understand why the same lower duct system is used for both the Z06 and C5 coupe. The area that is used to mount on the outside of the lower duct is wasted space on a non-fog light vehicle. I would recommend that VaraRam use a simpler bolt on solution for Z06's and non-fog light models. This would save time and material to make these. The outside area of the lower intake of a Z06 comprises a fairly large intake area, however, the size of the available intake of the lower portion of the VaraRam is only half the space, this is wasted space in my book.

There is no doubt that there is a performance gain with the VaraRam system, however, many here have posted about quality control issues mostly fitting and cracking related due to age.

I agree with everyone else, if you want to race, VaraRam, be prepared to do some under hood time to check your MAF, throttle body and connections. Any others, well I only know that the Twin Air Flow with its simple design would be a install, forget and drive solution, except for your normal filter maintenance.

Ciao,
Californiakid

Quick Reply: honker or vararam ?