Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Big-Red
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'13-'14

Get used to it, they all (females) will slam the door no matter WHAT car they are getting in or out of. It's to get your attention!!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Does anyone else have this problem?

My wife, bless her, is the best wife in the world. SHE suggested that we go buy another Corvette and SHE is the one trying to talk me into spending the money to get a C6. I'M the one fighting spending that much. That's what kind of wife I have.

And she hates to drive our Vette; not because she doesn't like it, but because she knows how **** I am about it and she's afraid she'll scratch it.

But bless her heart, she just cannot get out of the car without slamming the door so hard the window rattles. I've tried to ask her not to, and she tries not to, but she just doesn't think about it when she jumps out and BLAM! I'm afraid one day she's going to tear the door off the hinges.

You can't live without 'em, and sometimes you can't live with 'em.

I can't solve this problem either.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LIGHTMAN
My Wife got the message about SLAMMING my car doors after I got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to take a Wizz and I left the TOLIET SEAT UP !!!! If you SLAM my doors the SEAT stays UP !!!

That works for me at my house on a whole host of matters
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 AM
blaCkvette6
Advanced

drive with the door open
Old 09-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've driven Jeeps for many years...so I'm getting used to even having doors!

No problems with people slamming them on the vette though...probably because they are trying to be extra careful with my new toy. If I had a wife, it would probably be different..
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The first wife...................

The first wife slams car doors ,used to drive me crazy! But she was the first wife. Now this wife ( 29 years or there abouts) is a real car nut and knows how to treat a car, which is why she is still the second wife.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by PaulWall
Then be a gentleman, and open the door for her hahaha
Old 09-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Mad Dog Peter
Pro

My wife doesn't just slam the door; she grabs it by the window to do so! I have a vert and that's how she closes it! Forget the fingerprints. I'm afraid she's going to rip the window out!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Very common problem
Old 09-23-2008, 08:03 AM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Im lucky then! !
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulWall
Then be a gentleman, and open the door for her hahaha
Good one,seriously I have the same problem,guess they are used to closing the doors on those big sedans of the past.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:55 PM
blaCkvette6
Advanced

GM needs to put out a wife TSB for this issue. I think its only on the C5 vettes
Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
BigSexy181971
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zilla
my fiance does the same thing.

Mine too.

She loves the car but doesn't like to drive it either because she knows how much I love the car. I try to tell her it is just a car and that is why I have insurance so drive it but what for curbs when parking, or exiting steep driveways, and....
Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

NICE...i like this!!!!!!

Originally Posted by LIGHTMAN
My Wife got the message about SLAMMING my car doors after I got up in the middle of the night a couple of times to take a Wizz and I left the TOLIET SEAT UP !!!! If you SLAM my doors the SEAT stays UP !!!
Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
ItzaGreat58
Instructor

Well...

Which one do you care about keeping in "NICE" condition for 20 more years? Little things like getting upset over a door slam (you being **** and her being forgetful) can build up more steam than the tank can handle. There has to be an escape valve someplace.

Seriously...are you going to keep the car "running like a top without wear and tear" for 20 years? Wouldn't you like to keep her same condition for as long? To me, shutting the door is regular use...not abuse...unless the glass breaks or inside panels fall off. The fact that she encourages the hobby/expense of corvettes because it makes you so happy has to carry alot of weight. Cars, even Corvettes of any year and condition are nice toys at best. They aren't going to actually love you, take care of you in illness or raise your children and grandchildren.

I am of the opinion that what really is valuable should be put in perspective. There are probably millions of corvette owners as I write this...but there is only one woman that you "drop off at the store so she doesn't have to walk from the back forty when you park the car." No offense by my next statement...I am guilty of it myself but...Dropping her off shows you love her...and parking the vette 2 miles out to avoid dings might protect it some...but really only reflects self love.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:42 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 223 Posts

Simple solution. Let the significant other out first and when she's about to shut (slam) the door, reach over withyour right arm and catch the door before it closes. Then easily close it from inside the car.
Been doing this for years. Problem solved.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
CleteZ16
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Let her keep slamming the door til the window shatters, then stiff her on Valentines/MothersDay/Birthday/Xmas presents for a year and when she complains, remind her about the $<insert price> it took to fix the window she shattered after you asked her a billion times not to slam the door.

Of course, you can avoid the whole mess by staying single. The number of "my gf/wife does this too!" replies in this thread amazed even me ..

Get notified of new replies

To Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Mine's the opposite.
She has to take two attempts at closing the door on the C5. Says the doors are heavier than her mini-vans.
But watch out on the C3. That's when she'll rattle my teeth.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:33 PM
ToplessBlonde
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This has been the BEST Thread! And what's even funnier is that I am a girl and I feel the same way as all of you!!!

I can't stand it when the door gets slammed. My car is a 98 Vert and my windows don't rattle at all. I intend to keep it that way.

You all KNOW that the ladies like to be driven around in such a nice car....whether they admit it to you or not. Trust me, they do!

Say to them, "Baby, I would really appreicate it if you took more care when closing the door. You're closing it too hard, and that's gonna cause problems in the future. If you can't close it without slamming it, then let me close it. You wouldn't want me to accidentally damage (insert her favorite object here) would you? It's the same thing here. Thanks, Baby, I knew you'd understand." The key here is to say it all in one breath so they can't get a word in edgewise!!!!!

If they don't get it....kick 'em to the curb!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 AM
lucky99
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I must be weak, just gave in and open and close the door for her.Sometimes we must choose our battles wisely.

Quick Reply: Baby! PLEASE quit slamming the door!