Sponsored by:

any one else have trouble with there door hidges

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 AM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default any one else have trouble with there door hidges

My 1998 driver door seems to show signs of ware one the door hidges . The door is begining to hang down and creek when you close it . Any body else suffer this problem?
Old 07-19-2008, 07:21 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,303 Likes on 1,695 Posts

hidges? we don't need no stinking hidges!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have a 2001 and the bro has a 1999, no such problems.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:24 AM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

As opposed to the here hinges?
Old 07-19-2008, 09:26 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Funny...The hubby and I just noticed the same problem with my passenger door on my 99 just the other day. I'll take it to my body guy and get it fixed...
Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

No issues on my 80k '01. Been taking it apart and putting it back together lately w/ the whole targa project and paint job.

They're easy to swap and you can do it w/ the fender in place. Just open the door and have at it. Do one at a time so the door doesn't move.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:28 AM
JC in XTC5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Creaking can be fixed by simply using white lithium grease on the hinges and the tension guide. It should be done at least once every year or so.

Now if your door is hanging, that's a sign of mechanical issues. Are the hinge bolts tight? Stripped? That's not common unless some allowed the door to fly open and may have damaged the mounting area.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject. My passenger door closes with two notches it seems the hinge is bad. I changed it with a used one from fleabay and its worse. Now I dont see many posts on this subject so im worrying that theres a bigger problem. So do i get a new hinge or could there be some defect in the door itself thats causing this.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bill Hilt
I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this subject. My passenger door closes with two notches it seems the hinge is bad. I changed it with a used one from fleabay and its worse. Now I dont see many posts on this subject so im worrying that theres a bigger problem. So do i get a new hinge or could there be some defect in the door itself thats causing this.
The door is not defective. The door hinges have two resting places, partially and fully open.

Not sure what you mean by two notches ? Is that when the door hits the striker plate or you feel two movement points when swinging the door closed ?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

When the door is pulled open or shut closed it does not do either of these smoothly . Now the drivers door shows none of these caracteristics . The previous owner was told by a bodyshop this is a problem that needs to be fixed with bodywork fiberglassing the inside or something but I see no damage to the door inside or out.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Bill Hilt
When the door is pulled open or shut closed it does not do either of these smoothly . Now the drivers door shows none of these caracteristics . The previous owner was told by a bodyshop this is a problem that needs to be fixed with bodywork fiberglassing the inside or something but I see no damage to the door inside or out.
This makes no sense at all about the fiberglass It seems to me that you bought a set of bad hinges and need to buy a set new.

Contact Gene@gmpartshouse.com and order up some hinges.

The door does not swing on fiberglass, it swings on the hinges.

Number 2, the body shop guy doen't know ****, because the car is made out of SMC (Sheet Molded Compound), not fiberglass.

If you're that unsure of the problem take to a GM dealer and have them look at it.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Bill Hilt
Advanced

new hinge on the way !!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 316 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by JC in XTC5
Creaking can be fixed by simply using white lithium grease on the hinges and the tension guide. It should be done at least once every year or so.

Now if your door is hanging, that's a sign of mechanical issues. Are the hinge bolts tight? Stripped? That's not common unless some allowed the door to fly open and may have damaged the mounting area.
Once a year I also use a 6" acid brush and I lube the workings of both sides of the door hinges with Chassis grease. General motors door hinges have long been a PITA as they wear.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

By any chance are the "sagging doors" being used by a "large individual" to help lift him or her as they exit the car?
Old 05-03-2010, 05:45 PM
road dog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by egrand333
By any chance are the "sagging doors" being used by a "large individual" to help lift him or her as they exit the car?
I can agree with this .the former owner of my vette I was told weighted a wopping 350 Lbs the drivers seat was also messed up when I got it.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

You need to lube the hinges periodically to avoid sag and "grooving" of the tension arm or it's roller. I learned the hard way with my Camaro which had a similar set up. I now use lithium spray lube and then wipe it down with a rag after each oil change.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 AM
ColeTrain'sC5
Melting Slicks

look at the inside of the door by the mirrors where the outter shell meets the inner shell. where the rubber seals end. Open the door all the way and see if there is flex there. I've seen some of them seperate here and will cause a creaking and can even cause cracking on the outter shell. Not sure what causes this but my '98 does it. I will be using some fiberglass epoxy to fix it on mine. gotta use a flathead to pry it open and then slip epoxy in and let it dry

Get notified of new replies

To any one else have trouble with there door hidges

Quick Reply: any one else have trouble with there door hidges