Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do police follow you late night in your vette?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

People like us have to be quick ---

Roaches multiply quicker

Originally Posted by EBZ16
oh look, there it goes again...............those things are quick little rascals aren't they
Old 07-18-2008, 05:20 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crtaylor1
Dude -- -if you're car's getting searched for an hour, there is something you're leaving out.

What'd you get stopped for?

What's your attitude like? (And yes it matters - an argumentative person vs. cooperative)

What there a reason the officers asked to search your car?

Are you on parole or probation?

You said the cops "know you" --- know you how?

This is what I'm talking about --- you are coming here and saying you're getting stopped for no reason -- I call

One last thing --- You said you weren't "gonna sit around" --- believe me, you don't decide how long you sit

Here Here....I agree. Also, when it is against the law for the LEO to follow you? Man you must have some bad times with your local LEO....He was doing his job, you didnt get pulled over, so what is your beef? If you dont like people following you, quit driving.....
Obviously you didnt read my origional post. I've never been in any trouble my entire life and here in FL the locals are a little different. No matter what vehicle they stop at night they usually search it if you look young! It's called stereotyping, and there is alot of this in the world I know. I am not on bad terms with anyone so please don't beat me down, all I was asking is if other peoples vette's are a cop magent.
Thankyou and have a nice day!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:29 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
Obviously you didnt read my origional post. I've never been in any trouble my entire life and here in FL the locals are a little different. No matter what vehicle they stop at night they usually search it if you look young! It's called stereotyping, and there is alot of this in the world I know. I am not on bad terms with anyone so please don't beat me down, all I was asking is if other peoples vette's are a cop magent.
And reading your post, you obviously didn't write that in there.

I don't get it --- now you're saying you was "asking is if other peoples vette's are a cop magent." But then "No matter what vehicle they stop at night they usually search it if you look young! It's called stereotyping..." How do you even know the cop saw you? Maybe you don't have such a great report with them? I still call it "conscious of guilt".

And if no matter what, they stop your car at night --- why are you so uptight about it? If it's a regular occurrance you should be used to it... more so, if you haven't done anything wrong. I'd feel better knowing the officers are being diligent about making sure your car, house, family and you are safe.

BTW, No one's beating you down. There's way to much cop bashing that goes on --- and it's never anyone's fault but the officers.

Bu-bye! :

Last edited by MyVetteDream; 07-18-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi 1sickz51vette -

Nope - never noticed that at all -

the local LEO's are pretty diligent about checking for a front plate (required in illinois), but other than that - no problems.

I concur that he may have just wanted to see your nice car - LEOs are, after all, mostly young and adventurous, and a lot of them love fast cars and many of the things that we all enjoy.

best regards -

mqqn
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by iceman82nd
GUARANTEED! I get this all the time, finally i told a cop to give me a dwb. Driving while black. It's rediculous, they love to follow and wait for something.. who knows, but then again cops in my town have nothing better to do.

Maybe the officer was stopping you to give you a spelling lesson. . . "rediculous" is spelled ridiculous!!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:33 PM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sickz51vette
I don't think they are stereotyping when it comes to searching vehicles in Florida! We all know that Florida has a huge drug problem and a lot of drugs get distributed from Florida. I am sure its become a common practice due to the large drug trade in your area. Remember its nothing personal its just job! Just like where I work we have a state highway that is a known drug highway. We run the dog around almost every car or get a consent search if I am not around with the K-9. Nothing to do with stereotyping, but everything to do with common knowledge that the area I work in is a high drug area!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 PM
countylawdog
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let's just all agree that the CORVETTE is a car that many people, young and old alike is admired and sought after.

Have a safe weekend
Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
And reading your post, you obviously didn't write that in there.

I don't get it --- now you're saying you was "asking is if other peoples vette's are a cop magent." But then "No matter what vehicle they stop at night they usually search it if you look young! It's called stereotyping..." How do you even know the cop saw you? Maybe you don't have such a great report with them? I still call it "conscious of guilt".

And if no matter what, they stop your car at night --- why are you so uptight about it? If it's a regular occurrance you should be used to it... more so, if you haven't done anything wrong. I'd feel better knowing the officers are being diligent about making sure your car, house, family and you are safe.

BTW, No one's beating you down. There's way to much cop bashing that goes on --- and it's never anyone's fault but the officers.

Bu-bye! :
I agree. Sounds like the op has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. He should be glad they stopped him and checked him out. That means the police are doing there job. Live with it and move on, as far as getting searched for an hour, I believe there is a reason you were detained, Police have better things to do than search someone just because he is young. I am sure you gave them a reason and don't understand what you did.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:28 PM
crtaylor1
Advanced

Location: "Officer, are you sure I was going that fast?" Texas

Quote:
Dude -- -if you're car's getting searched for an hour, there is something you're leaving out.

What's your attitude like? (And yes it matters - an argumentative person vs. cooperative)

This is what I'm talking about --- you are coming here and saying you're getting stopped for no reason -- I call

One last thing --- You said you weren't "gonna sit around" --- believe me, you don't decide how long you sit

Here Here....I agree. Also, when it is against the law for the LEO to follow you? Man you must have some bad times with your local LEO....He was doing his job, you didnt get pulled over, so what is your beef? If you dont like people following you, quit driving.....

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to beat you down......but your thread is leaning toward "The man is harrassing me, and I'm tired of it." I have been a LEO for 25 years, and it gets kinda old when you get someone saying that "I drive a certain type of car, the police pull me over, all they do is hassle me." Like I said in my original post and has been stated several times, that the LEO was probably running your plate to check to see if the car was stolen. I can tell ya when I worked nights, it was 2AM, I was looking at everything that was moving. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that alot crime occurs at night. If the car checked okay, and there wasn't any thing suspicious with the vehicle, and no probable cause existed to stop the vehicle, I didn't stop it. Just because your young and driving a corvette, doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but I think you agree, he didn't stop you, then there is no harm done. Look at it this way, I think you would have been really upset if that was your "baby", and some hook just stole it, and there wasn't a cop there to even check it out, or better yet, the cop just watch it drive by him and he didn't do anything. My job is a thankless job sometimes, but 99.7 percent of the time, the public appreicates the job we do......I have learned that you can't please everyone, but you do the best that you can. By the way, when I see a vette, I ALWAYS do a double take at it, I just think it is a fantastic looking car, and I'm proud to own one! Hopefully you will not hold a grudge against the LEO in your town they are there to serve you, and again, if I offended you with my thread, it was not my intention, and I do apologize if that happened. Have a great and safe weekend!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:16 PM
MYBABYC5
Instructor

No..and its probably dangerous to say this. may get stopped tomorrow..
Old 07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
MYBABYC5
Instructor

Quote:

Sorry man, I wasn't trying to beat you down......but your thread is leaning toward "The man is harrassing me, and I'm tired of it." I have been a LEO for 25 years, and it gets kinda old when you get someone saying that "I drive a certain type of car, the police pull me over, all they do is hassle me." Like I said in my original post and has been stated several times, that the LEO was probably running your plate to check to see if the car was stolen. I can tell ya when I worked nights, it was 2AM, I was looking at everything that was moving. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that alot crime occurs at night. If the car checked okay, and there wasn't any thing suspicious with the vehicle, and no probable cause existed to stop the vehicle, I didn't stop it. Just because your young and driving a corvette, doesn't mean you did anything wrong, but I think you agree, he didn't stop you, then there is no harm done. Look at it this way, I think you would have been really upset if that was your "baby", and some hook just stole it, and there wasn't a cop there to even check it out, or better yet, the cop just watch it drive by him and he didn't do anything. My job is a thankless job sometimes, but 99.7 percent of the time, the public appreicates the job we do......I have learned that you can't please everyone, but you do the best that you can. By the way, when I see a vette, I ALWAYS do a double take at it, I just think it is a fantastic looking car, and I'm proud to own one! Hopefully you will not hold a grudge against the LEO in your town they are there to serve you, and again, if I offended you with my thread, it was not my intention, and I do apologize if that happened. Have a great and safe weekend!!

Need to slow down on the coffee...WAY too much information..
Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by MYBABYC5
Need to slow down on the coffee...WAY too much information..
Ignorance is BLISS!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 PM
ToplessBlonde
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by utryd2
Next time one gets behind you, wave him next to you and when he does ask him if he has any Grey Poupon?!
Don't we all do that??
Old 07-18-2008, 10:25 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grayfox2424
YES>>>the police followed my son for several blocks at 3AM.. He had to leave that early to catch a flight to the west coast for a meeting they finally pulled him over and questioned him..checked his ID computer checked him etc etc..Let him go . Really broke his chops and he was doing nothing wrong.( Palm Coast Fl )
I see what you mean! This outrageous police conduct is used to catch car thieves (young person/3 AM). I'm glad your car was not stolen because that would only encourage the police to do it again. Maybe the local police that did this to your son will read this and stop trying to catch thieves at 3 AM in the morning, especially when a member of your family is driving in Palm Coast. Perhaps you could suggest at a civic meeting that they hang out at a local donut shop and not hassle the drivers of expensive sports cars in the middle of the night. I'll bet they knew he was heading to an airport before they pulled him over and just wanted to make him miss his flight.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
2EZ 2SPD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had any problems in mine but I'm in bed at 1:00am if my wife gets hungry I'm sure she can find something in the kitchen to hold her over until the morning. And if I did have to go out I dont know if I would even drive the vette.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 07-18-2008, 11:46 PM
bigbadbevo
Instructor

... don't forget to check under your bed for the boogeyman before going to sleep...

Get notified of new replies

To Do police follow you late night in your vette?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:20 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MyVetteDream
It is true --- otherwise it's an unlawful detention. You would hear about it on the news every single day --- there would be laws against it.

If the officer can not legally justify the stop, they will not stop you.

You assume way too much about the integrity of law enforcement or the empathy of judges.

I've been pulled over for B.S. things just so the cop could check out me and the inside of the car. They loved my IROC-Z Camaro when I went to college in the S.F. Valley. Luckily the encounters were quickly over with...some basic questions, a good look inside the car...thanks officer!

Around here I haven't had such experiences, like I said earlier with my loud exhaust, front tint, and no front plate I'm a much easier target now. Knock on Wood

Last edited by dagon138; 07-19-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

He was giving you a reality check to think twice before the next time you hammer it where you shouldn't.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 549 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Like I said in my original post and has been stated several times, that the LEO was probably running your plate to check to see if the car was stolen.
Now THAT's a good point!! Thanks for trying to retrieve my baby!

Quick Reply: Do police follow you late night in your vette?