Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does iPod2Car drain your battery when the car is not in use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:54 PM
VintageSlots
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Does iPod2Car drain your battery when the car is not in use?

I purchased an iPod2Car unit a few weeks ago and connected it via the 12 disk CD changer cable.

The unit works great. However, I went to drive my car a few weeks later (after not being used) and my battery was close to dead. The iPod was not connected to the iPod2Car unit during this time.

My battery is about 5 years old so I am not sure it is the iPod2Car unit that is draining the battery, but I am suspicious.

Does anyone know how much current the iPod2Car unit draws when it is not connected to the iPod? Is there an easy way to connect it so that it gets no power when the key is not on? Ideally, I would hope there are power leads going back to the hole which are only hot when the car is on (or after the 5 minutes (or so) period after the car is shut off).

I did a test and verified that the unit is still getting power after the computer in the car shuts off the power to the mirror lights and stuff like that.

I can always rig up a switch that I can manually turn on to get power to the iPod2Car unit but would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2008, 03:25 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't think that there would be any drain if the IPod is disconnected. I think that it might be the age of your battery. I don't keep my IPod plugged in the car when I'm not using it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:07 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive left my ipod plugged in, and im pretty sure it tries to charge it the while time, even with the car off. i wonder if this can lead to problems later (ie overcharging the ipod battery too much).
Old 06-26-2008, 05:43 PM
2003z06vette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ipod2car does charge your ipod when the car as off, provided it's connected of course. I imagine if you don't drive it for a few weeks it could drain the battery. Easy solution = disconnect the ipod
Old 06-26-2008, 06:54 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

It drains mine without the iPod attached. Did a Bill Curlee test and the iPod2Car was the culprit. I had to unplug it from the harness.

Last edited by dndrsn; 06-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man great thread

I think my iPod2car adapter drains my battery too and I don't keep my iPod connected all the time either...good thing for my Battery Tender Plus

Larry
Old 06-27-2008, 12:01 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It did in my daughter's Blazer. We went through one battery and a service visit to the dealer to find out. Simple solution - unplug the freakin' thing!
Old 06-27-2008, 12:05 AM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
I don't think that there would be any drain if the IPod is disconnected. I think that it might be the age of your battery. I don't keep my IPod plugged in the car when I'm not using it.

I can charge my cell phone when the car is off so I know if I left my IPOD connected, it would keep trying to charge it... I have never had an issue with my ipod2car setup...

Battery may be junk....
Old 06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
KeithG
Instructor

I've had mine for about six months and so far no problem. I always unplug the iPod when I park the car.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
VintageSlots
Advanced

Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding disconnecting the unit. Yes, I could do that. However, going into the back hole and unplugging the thing when I park the car would be a real PIA. Especially if I have the back filled with a bunch of junk.

Sooooo, it looks like no one really knows if the iPod2Car draws current if the iPod is not connected.

This weekend I will hook up a meter to it and see how many milliamps it draws (if any).

I will post the results.

Dave
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I always disconnect my IPod when car is not in use. IPod stays on otherwise.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
lil vette
Melting Slicks

I have mine connected to the stereo with all the cables for IPOD.
Mine turns off when car is off & I've never had a problem, yet.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:18 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageSlots
Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding disconnecting the unit. Yes, I could do that. However, going into the back hole and unplugging the thing when I park the car would be a real PIA. Especially if I have the back filled with a bunch of junk.

Sooooo, it looks like no one really knows if the iPod2Car draws current if the iPod is not connected.

This weekend I will hook up a meter to it and see how many milliamps it draws (if any).

I will post the results.

Dave

I did that.

Originally Posted by dndrsn
It drains mine without the iPod attached. Did a Bill Curlee test and the iPod2Car was the culprit. I had to unplug it from the harness.
With the meter the iPod2car was drawing current without the iPod attached. My battery was taking about 2 weeks to get low enough to not start. I normally drive my car every other day so I didn't notice it until I let it set for awhile. If I remember correctly with the iPod2Car attached the current draw was around .06 amps. Disconnected it was .02 amps.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I leave mine in the car all the time, with the ipod attached and never had a problem at all.

I think you've got something wired wrong.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VintageSlots
I purchased an iPod2Car unit a few weeks ago and connected it via the 12 disk CD changer cable.

The unit works great. However, I went to drive my car a few weeks later (after not being used) and my battery was close to dead. The iPod was not connected to the iPod2Car unit during this time.

My battery is about 5 years old so I am not sure it is the iPod2Car unit that is draining the battery, but I am suspicious.

Does anyone know how much current the iPod2Car unit draws when it is not connected to the iPod? Is there an easy way to connect it so that it gets no power when the key is not on? Ideally, I would hope there are power leads going back to the hole which are only hot when the car is on (or after the 5 minutes (or so) period after the car is shut off).

I did a test and verified that the unit is still getting power after the computer in the car shuts off the power to the mirror lights and stuff like that.

I can always rig up a switch that I can manually turn on to get power to the iPod2Car unit but would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Thanks
Replace the battery anyway if it is 5 years old. It is going to get you one of these days!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32 AM
NamVette04
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NCM Member '09

My Ipod connects to my Pioneer head unit; when the Pioneer is off, or the ignition is off, the Ipod draws no power, so no drain on the battery.

Vince
Old 07-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Speed Trap
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Does iPod2Car drain your battery when the car is not in use?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:49 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

I've left my Ipod plugged in for 12 hours and no drainage.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Bill Vett
Old 07-02-2008, 05:20 PM
VintageSlots
Advanced

I sent an email to the company who makes the iPod2Car unit.

Here is the response:

When the ipod2car is connected with no ipod hooked up the unit should only draw about .03 amps or 30 milliamps. If it is drawing more than this then you definitely have a defective module.

This pretty much matches what dndrsn found when he put the meter on his unit. He indicated his was drawing 20 milliamps.

Just to clarify, my battery was going dead when the iPod was NOT connected. So the comments to disconnect the iPod are not useful.

So, I guesss my next question is, how long would it take to drain a battery with something that was constantly drawing 20 - 30 milliamps.

I think a typical car battery is rated at 100 amp hours.

If the iPod2Car is always drawing 30 milliamps (.030 amps) then it will completely drain the battery in 3333 hours (138 days). Of course, this assumes nothing else is ever drawing power in the car, which I know is false.

Quick Reply: Does iPod2Car drain your battery when the car is not in use?