Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 6-speed - what are these sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 99 6-speed - what are these sounds?

Hi,

I had my 99 C5 (one owner car) since february this year. Since the wheather was not that great I did not drive her that much till 2 weeks ago. My 99 is a Z51 with 6 speed, i am the 2nd owner, all stock and always had its maintenance. Now when driving I hear some noises, do you also have them?

1) from 3500 rpm
If I pull up quite quick and let the rpm go over 3500 before shifting gear I start to hear a high noise from the engine? What's this? Perhaps a belt issue?

2) in general when pulling up
I hear the engine singing like a jet or super charged car. I first thought it was the Donaldson non stock air filter. No I put the stock version back on and I still hear it. Is this normal for this car?

3) clunk when declutching
when i let the clutch come up to quick I hear a clunk and the car jumps a bit. Normal?

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:26 AM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Your first question...Not sure.

Second question...LS1's are noisy engines to an extent. Can you be more specific about what you are hearing??

Third question...Yes it seems to be normal. Mine does it too. I have asked this question before here on the board, and even talked to some driveline repair people. They all say the same - that it is normal to have some play in the mix becuase of all the moving parts, torque tube, yada yada. It gets on my nerves too, but if they say it is normal then I guess I will go with it.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM
brntstauf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is any help to you, but I am also a 99 c5 6 speed owner, and my car makes all the same noises you described. I will be checking back to see if anyone else has a explination on these issues.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Don't know... describe "high noise"?

2) Check belts, idler pulley, belt tensioner etc etc. Change the belts (probably due anyway) to Gatorbacks from autozone/napa/kragen etc. It usually starts as chirping, then squealing.

3) If you drop the clutch too hard, you are bound to get some noise and the car will undoubtedly lurch forward.

None of these are answers, just the first things I think of when you describe the problems and I compare them to what I've seen/heard before.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
RBChallenger
Racer

I have a 2000 for comparison sake

1. No idea, I dont have that.

2. I am with J S on thise one, this is not an overly quite motor so would need something more specific to identify with all the little noises the car makes.

3. I would say this is normal, my car does it as well.

In closing, if you are anything like me you are overly sensitive to every little noise, shake and shimy a car makes. This is particularly true right after a purchase for me as I can drive myself nuts listening for every little tick and what not in the car. Good luck!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:49 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that noise your hearing is a screeching, and when you let the clutch out you have alot of vibration I would say your driveshaft couplers might be on the way out.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:04 PM
Michaelw
Racer

Thanks for all the anwsers. Some extra info:

1) I checked the belts today and tested car when driving en pulling up to 3500/3700 rpm and you hear the high pitching sound. Also when having the car in neutral and just revving up to that RPM you hear the noise coming. I will order a new set of belts.

2) discribing the sound is difficult. it sound like a jet pulling up only lower noise of course.

I have to admit that some of my vette buddies find me overly sensitive on sound, but I simply want to understand every sound!

Mike
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 PM
ziggy9mm
Advanced

I have the same car, I agree with everyone on 1 and 3... on 2 does the sound go away after its warmed up? Mine does this as well but stops after its warm.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
MYBABYC5
Instructor

1.) Not going fast enough.
2.) Not going fast enough.
3.) Dumping the clutch because you were going too fast.

Seriously, I have a 99 with all the features you described. The Baby has its own little excentricities. At the end of the day, it keeps on going and I keep on smiling....
Old 05-23-2008, 01:32 AM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael, make sure to get the Gatorback belts instead of stock replacements.

If you want to understand every sound, try turning off your car in neutral with the clutch out... that is a fun, although normal, sound known as the death rattle.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#2- This jet engine like sound you hear, is it jsut at start-up and a few minutes after???
If so, its most likely the air pump. ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...se+at+start-up )
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Michaelw
Racer

Defender,

I tried and I indeed hear the rattle, oh man this car is full of sounds....
Old 06-12-2008, 11:17 AM
zonsolo
Drifting

Originally Posted by clayton1

#2- This jet engine like sound you hear, is it jsut at start-up and a few minutes after???
If so, its most likely the air pump. ( http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...se+at+start-up )
I'm with Clayton on this one.

Trying to understand your description of dumping the clutch. What are you expecting to happen if you let off too fast? One thing you could try is checking the clutch fluid to see if its black. If so you could do a search on here on how easy it is to clean. Maybe that would help, but honestly I'm still boggled as to understand exactly what you are expecting.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
BostonJoel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#3: Could be the throwout bearing.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:13 PM
kertong
Pro

#2 - where is the sound coming from? If it's hard to locate, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the fuel pump. My 04Z does this after a long highway cruise.. a loud high pitched hum in the cabin, coming from somewhere in the back..

I'm still not sure if this is normal or not. I'd change the fuel filter to be safe, but for the 04s, the filter is inside the fuel tank! Ugh, what a terrible design..
Old 06-12-2008, 05:07 PM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I can tell you that the jet like noise you are hearing is the noisy fuel pump located behind the driver seat! About the clunking noise, thats just the entire driveline engaging/disengaging.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Tikiman12
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1: the belts, put gatorback on there, and you'll fix it
2: if you have the a/c on when you hear it, try turning it off, it will lower the noise alot. thats the jet noise i hear in mine. its just the a/c blower. if it still happens with the a/c off idk
3:idk about cluthes lol

Get notified of new replies

To 99 6-speed - what are these sounds?

Quick Reply: 99 6-speed - what are these sounds?