Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the hell would you buy an Automatic Corvette ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 01:52 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Why the hell would you buy an Automatic Corvette ?

I dont get it,..........one of the best handling sports cars on the planet and you get a 4 speed automatic transmission over a stout 6 speed manual ? Outside of the "extra effort" of shifting your own gears what would posess anyone to get the slushbox ?

There are so many good reason not to buy an auto,.........I am just wondering why forum members would opt for such a setup.

Have you ever watched Barrett Jackson ? The manuals get 20 or 30 percent over the auto.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:54 PM
J S Machine
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

I was wondering the same thing
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never understood the "must have a 6 spd" crowd?? They both have their + & -s You buy what you like and we will buy what we like

I remember back in 82/83 I was looking for a Z28 and it HAD to have the 4 spd and NO AC. I found it and bought it. Fun car but hated it in Boston traffic with no AC Not worth the macho crap to be that uncomfortable for a couple of HP.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You have got to look at some of the demographics of some of the people that buy them. No pun intended, but some of them are old, have had and driven manual cars before, they just want to enjoy the drive with no worrying about stalling the car in a heavy traffic city, to rest their hand on their significant other’s lap/hand, or other stuff. I have an A4, and I also have a manual stang, so that takes thrill from the tranny away. Plus how much are you going to sell your C5 at the Barrett Jackson auction? Oh, I’m 24
Old 05-19-2008, 01:59 PM
KCJeff
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 1 Post

I have the MN6, but there are many reasons a person might choose an automatic. City driving, injury, disability, etc. Personally, I'm not interested in verbally attacking someone merely because they chose a different transmission for their Corvette. Guess that's just me
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Real hot rods have a clutch. That said, there are many reasons why someone might elect to have an a/t than a manual transmission, IE physical limitations, availability, consistency in shifts (ask any NHRA racer), allowing for use by other family members, daily driver ease...
If I was one of those people, I wouldn't feel any need to explain myself.
riarms
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

come drive in Boston trafiac at 5:00 some day. Im sure you will loveit
Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,660 Likes on 847 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Most C5s are A4s. You have to understand that the demographic that buys Corvettes (when new that is) are 45 y/o or older and married. If GM had built the C5 as an M6 in large numbers, sales would have suffered.

Additionally, most sports cars are going the way the C6 did, A6s with paddle shifters.

I'm not knocking manuals, but grabbing gears gets old real fast with age

Peace
OsoBear
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are so many good reason not to buy an auto,.........

okay, Guys, so far you've given only one of the reasons (BJ Resale), and that one is only valid if you bought the car as an investment (IMHO not a great idea for a C5). Lets hear the rest of those reasons.

Last edited by OsoBear; 05-19-2008 at 02:03 PM.
50th@50
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I`ll give this a shot, Barretts and Nincum (sp.) Auctions do honor the traditional sticks because, A) they were synominious with 60`s muscle cars and older buyers relate, B) todays computer cars are 1/4 mile speed wise, generally superior for an average driver. Also, my Vette is a daily driver in California traffic, shifting would get old fast.

The list and argument is long and tired, stick vs. auto, it is whatever makes you happy, since it`s your car, your bill your life.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:02 PM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's still a Corvette, so who cares?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:04 PM
5OBait
Racer

I am guessing you have never been in an auto vette
Esp one with a converter and shift points/firmness tuned. I don't think you would call them slushboxes anymore
With these 2 mods they shift a lot harder and faster then we ever could in our manuals. O and no mis-shifts!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Red99SS
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can actually drive a manual trans well, traffic doesn't bother you at all because you are so used to it. America is probably the only place in the world where a manual transmission is deemed "no good" in heavy traffic situations.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
OhioC5
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't believe Im even going to respond to such a question. You know what? Im not....cant say something nice, dont. Can't say something nice, dont.... I'll just keep telling myself that.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here we go again you have a 6 speed and my auto is a turd. why do people always seem to think their stick is better than my auto??? personally i was looking to get a 6 speed c5. but i have had my left knee surgically repaired 3 times now. old college football injury. i was going to be driving my vette alot during the summer. and there was no way my knee could of put up with the shifting in stop and go traffic. so why all the auto bashing??? 3:90 gears and stall converter. and some mods. would my auto be faster than your precious 6 speed??
Old 05-19-2008, 02:10 PM
rcs128
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

WTF? This is America, and people have choices. Why an auto? because that's what some people want. Why do some people think one has to be better than the other? It's like saying "Why the heck would you have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when you could have ham and cheese?"
Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

It is true that the new MANUMATICS are cool, and of course, it is easier in traffic not to have a manual,...............but in terms of "SPORT" I believe auto matics to be a big compromise versus the total driving experience that is a manual.

to my point,................enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4rOcT6X-zk

Get notified of new replies

To Why the hell would you buy an Automatic Corvette ?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Worley Hamilton
Instructor

Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
HillBilly Vetteman
Instructor

I got tired of haivg to pull mine (manual) out of the garage so my wife could do things...she can't drive a stick...so I opted to get an A4. It has the 3.15 rear end. Just installed a vararam...with a tune it'll haul butt! Plus...I got kind of tired shifting gears in Columbus traffic. Lots of factors. I love a manual on the open twisty roads...but the A4 was a good compromise...and it still turns heads!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

WHy do people pick the color they do?
Why do people buy a vert? Coupe? Zo6?
Why do people mod the hell out of thier cars?
Why do people buy them and drive them only when its nice out?

All because we have the option to get the car WE want or to make it the way WE want and not to make everyone else happy. This goes for mods done as well. Why did you choose Blacking over say a Vararam? Because that is what YOU wanted. If you would have wanted an automatic you could easily be asking why the hell would anyone want a 6speed

I happen to have choosen an automatic because when the wife wants to drive it she enjoys it. AND it was the cleanest low mileage car i could find at the time when i was looking for one.

I bet there are plenty of forum members cars that are automatics that not only look great but could easliy outperform you in your 6speed beauty

Quick Reply: Why the hell would you buy an Automatic Corvette ?