Sponsored by:

Where to buy AC Delco batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Despite all the discussion I really don't mind which batteries members buy. The big problem I have is that some still have the originals from 97to 01 and may be sitting on a "leaker".

If I can persuade just one owner to change it before it leaks I'll be a happy man.
I believe you mean 97-00, since the 01s had AGM batteries. When I first bought my car in 01, many forum members who owned 01s were so panicked by other members who had the old-design battery, that they discarded their new AGM for a Red Top. When I took a look at my battery, I noticed its AGM designation and realized that the C5 owners who discarded them were throwing away good money. My OEM battery was 7 years old when I put in a new AC Delco Professional. The OEM could very well have lasted longer, but 7 years is plenty in my book.

I think if you polled all forum members, you'd find that the percentage of those who still have OEM 97-00 batteries is very, very small, if anything at all.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Lets try that Dave

Interesting that you have such strong views on the older batteries when you had an OEM AGM battery which could not leak.
Originally Posted by Dave68
I believe you mean 97-00, since the 01s had AGM batteries. When I first bought my car in 01, many forum members who owned 01s were so panicked by other members who had the old-design battery, that they discarded their new AGM for a Red Top. When I took a look at my battery, I noticed its AGM designation and realized that the C5 owners who discarded them were throwing away good money. My OEM battery was 7 years old when I put in a new AC Delco Professional. The OEM could very well have lasted longer, but 7 years is plenty in my book.

I think if you polled all forum members, you'd find that the percentage of those who still have OEM 97-00 batteries is very, very small, if anything at all.
Lets try that Dave. It'll be interesting to find out. I'll raise a poll.

Interesting that you have such a pro stance on AC Delcos when you had an AGM battery which couldn't leak. My concern is over the earlier "leakers". I guess that explains our differing views. When you've cleaned up battery acid it changes things a tad.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-17-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default AC Delco ok by me

I have to mention that when I called my local Pep Boys, the guy there told me that the AC Delco batteries they carry are not the Professional series. They ARE less expensive and they may be great batteries, but I'm just passing this along; whether the same applies to your local Pep Boys, well, you'll have to ask.

Dave
Hi, thats true dave, the ones I bought are the 60 series sealed type. the difference in cca is minimal, pro=735, 60 series=680. The oem had 550 cca. The other main difference is that the 60 series is sealed, no vent caps. , and the pro has vents where water can be added. If I were in a very hot southern climate,the pro may be a better choice, but in the climate I'm in the sealed is better for me, and I've had Delco's last as long as 9 years before I've replaced them. Also Pep Boys has their own warranty and gives me the same warranty as the pro, at least the Pep Boys here did last august.

I agree with most all of what you say. The bad batch of Delco's that leaked were improperly engineered in regards to the amount of torque some would apply in tightening the posts, even at the factory.And to exacerbate the problem some of the cable end screws were a tad to long,not seating properly, causing one to tighten even more. And when GM went to the AGM to correct this weak post design , GM soon learned that AGM's don't like to be idle for weeks on end as vette's often times are. So they redesigned the battery and then went so far as to sell the battery making priviledge to Johnson Controls for better quality than Delphi was producing. And through all of that I've personally never had an AC Delco that leaked, or that didn't last at least as long as the warranty, which currently is about the best in the industry. So you are right in saying that what's for sale now is as far removed from the few problem batteries as the c5 is from the original 6 cylinder no window c1 only in white.
Good Luck To ALL

Originally Posted by Rob 99
Curious as to why 04's are different? if you know? or am i misinterpurting your statement above and it's just Summit that dosn't stock 04's (but i guess that would make them diff)
Thanks 'i think' LOL.
The only difference that is relative in 97-03 compared to 04's is in 04 Chevy went to top post for the vette. CCA's and such have changed a bit over the years, but any c5 can handle each years recommended battery, post position being the only qualifier.INMO
Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default New Poll

Good info, Dee Gee, but I must take issue with a couple of your statements. The first:

is very deceptive in that the stats include all AC Delco batteries, including the older non-AGMs, which are essentially NOT the same batteries as the AGM 01-03 or the non-AGM 04+ batteries.

Someone recently asked if anyone has had a leaky 04-08 AC Delco battery and no one answered that he or she had.

Also, bringing up statements like:

is VERY misleading, since the newest "old-design" non-AGM AC Delco battery is now over 8 years old. Most likely, all the potential leakers have been recycled and are no longer in C5s.

I can't emphasize enough that most modern non-AGM batteries do NOT leak. I've been using AC Delco batteries since 1979 and I have never had a leaky one. Even if I had, I wouldn't continue to warn people about them, 30 years later. That's kinda like warning people not to buy a Corvette because your uncle's 69 creaked and groaned alot after only 20,000 miles.

I understand that you were burned before, but things are much better now; there's no need to say the sky is falling!

Dave
Hi again, also true Dave, I respect Deegee and think his posts are very informative, but I do believe the past poll does not reflect the present state of circumstances out there now.
It was I who started the thread asking people to post if they had a new within 2 years Optima or AC Delco that leaked or failed, and there were not many replies, but the few that did complained about the Optima, and none about newer Delco's--SEE LINK BELOW
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2012428
Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 AM
terry02tb
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A.A. battery co. 2512 2nd st ne. minneapolis 612 788 4767
Old 05-18-2008, 10:48 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hi again, also true Dave, I respect Deegee and think his posts are very informative, but I do believe the past poll does not reflect the present state of circumstances out there now.
It was I who started the thread asking people to post if they had a new within 2 years Optima or AC Delco that leaked or failed, and there were not many replies, but the few that did complained about the Optima, and none about newer Delco's--SEE LINK BELOW
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2012428
I have no problem with that view and I agree

If you check on my post I said:

"The poll has probably run its course now because even the best OEM battery is due for replacement by now. What it showed me is that there was too high a failure rate on the original batteries and even though the latest battery is redesigned and probably much better, there are probably many C5 Vette owners out there with an original battery that has a high chance of either failing or leaking and causing serious damage.""

In sum it appears that there are 3 types of GM-fitted AC Delco batteries out there:

The original Delphi made batteries fitted from 97 to 01 which are prone to leaks.
Redesigned AGM batteries fitted from 01 to 03 that may die early if discharged.
Further redesigned top post batteries which should be OK. These latest AC Delco batteries have been redesigned to strengthen the case and should, hopefully, fix the leak problems.......

You need to know which battery is fitted to your car."

It's the older AC Delcos I'm worried about. I honestly believe that if anyone is still running with a 97-01 OEM battery they're on borrowed time.

It does seem that the new ones are OK so guys buying new AC Delcos should be just fine.

Again, JMHO.

Last edited by DeeGee; 05-18-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Default Good Analysis

I have no problem with that view and I agree

If you check on my post I said:

"The poll has probably run its course now because even the best OEM battery is due for replacement by now. What it showed me is that there was too high a failure rate on the original batteries and even though the latest battery is redesigned and probably much better, there are probably many C5 Vette owners out there with an original battery that has a high chance of either failing or leaking and causing serious damage.""

In sum it appears that there are 3 types of GM-fitted AC Delco batteries out there:

The original Delphi made batteries fitted from 97 to 01 which are prone to leaks.
Redesigned AGM batteries fitted from 01 to 03 that may die early if discharged.
Further redesigned top post batteries which should be OK. These latest AC Delco batteries have been redesigned to strengthen the case and should, hopefully, fix the leak problems.......

You need to know which battery is fitted to your car."

It's the older AC Delcos I'm worried about. I honestly believe that if anyone is still running with a 97-01 OEM battery they're on borrowed time.

It does seem that the new ones are OK so guys buying new AC Delcos should be just fine.

Again, JMHO.
Hi Deegee, Thats a statement that I can agree with. I think that analysis is spot on.
Good Luck
Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hi Deegee, Thats a statement that I can agree with. I think that analysis is spot on.
Good Luck

Quick Reply: Where to buy AC Delco batteries?