Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How to tell if an airbag has been deployed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:27 AM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if an airbag has been deployed?

Hello all,

Is there anyway to determine from a visual or mechanical inspection if the passenger side airbag has been deployed? Car in question is a 2002 Z06.

I read a post from someone here that had stated he had a used Z06 inspected by a used car appraiser and that this person noticed some signs pointing towards possible airbag deployment.

I have looked at several phots of C5 dashes, and some show the airbag door squarely aligned in the dash, others show it slighly depressed along the righthand side near the door. From a 3D point of view, the airbag door looks to be sunk into the dash on one side. I cannot make heads or tails of this issue? Unfortunately not knowing the complete history of my car has turned me into a wannabe detective. Perhaps it's paranoia

Also, when an airbag does deploy, would the interior be damaged as airbags are packed in powder to prevent them from sticking together?

Please weigh in if you have any insight.

Thank you.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

If the job was well done, you really cant.
The C5 dash is so easy to remove an reinstall, so finding bolts not but back in place can be slim, If it was recently deploys, u may smell the powder, but no, powder doesn't go everywhere. and the smell is really strong nothing a good cleaning cant fix. also the airbag module is also replaced so u may not find any codes either.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
If the job was well done, you really cant.
The C5 dash is so easy to remove an reinstall, so finding bolts not but back in place can be slim, If it was recently deploys, u may smell the powder, but no, powder doesn't go everywhere. and the smell is really strong nothing a good cleaning cant fix. also the airbag module is also replaced so u may not find any codes either.
What does it smell like?
Old 04-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Airbags are packed with a white talcum like powder so that they unfold properly in deployed. They are usually propelled sodium azide (NaN3) with potassium nitrate (KNO3) to produce nitrogen gas. Hot blasts of the nitrogen inflate the airbag and thats what you smell. Usually dissipates pretty quick.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Diamond
Drifting

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Check and see if the windshield has been replaced. Passenger side deployment will take the windshield out. Look at the urethane closely, also the numbers and brand of windshield. On all Toyotas, Hondas, and many other makes and models the seatbelts also lock-up. New belts must be installed. Check your seatbelt bolts to see if an impact wrench has been on them. Not sure about the Corvette, never done one of them for airbags. I dont believe the dash must come out for the Corvette, 4 bolts and a connector.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Sometimes you have to get on your hands and knees to see

Old 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Turns out mine has been deployed, and I am now working to reach an agreement with the dealer to allow me to return the car.

Wish me luck.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Novat_99
Drifting

Originally Posted by No Chance
Turns out mine has been deployed, and I am now working to reach an agreement with the dealer to allow me to return the car.

Wish me luck.
Good luck with your negotiations...
Old 05-01-2008, 07:30 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the car will never get rid of the rotten odor--more like shi- smell--return the wreck
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Do you want to know if the car has a functioning air bag, or just if it has deployed and been replaced?
If the system is functioning, you should see a light on the dash when you turn the key on.
Since air bags are so expensive, I have read about scams where repair shops will remove the air bag or not replace it and collect the insurance money. Then someone has a wreck in a car they thought was protected with an air bag, but the bag is gone and the person gets killed or more seriously injured.
Many times the shop will put in a used airbag, or just pack the compartment with paper or other material. It is common for them to also disconnect the system light, so there is no warning that the system is not working when you start the car.
Bad news and worth checking if the car has been repaired.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond
Check and see if the windshield has been replaced. Passenger side deployment will take the windshield out. Look at the urethane closely, also the numbers and brand of windshield. On all Toyotas, Hondas, and many other makes and models the seatbelts also lock-up. New belts must be installed. Check your seatbelt bolts to see if an impact wrench has been on them. Not sure about the Corvette, never done one of them for airbags. I dont believe the dash must come out for the Corvette, 4 bolts and a connector.
Pass bag doesn't take out the windshield on a C5. The dash has to come out for the Pass bag.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To the OP you didn't run a carfax on the car before buying? If the carfax ran clean, and the car has a deployed bag,they will buy it from you.Just like the add says never buy a used car without a carfax.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Granny crashed my Z but swears the passenger side airbag didn't deploy

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Originally Posted by 94-vette
To the OP you didn't run a carfax on the car before buying? If the carfax ran clean, and the car has a deployed bag,they will buy it from you.Just like the add says never buy a used car without a carfax.
Carfax and Autocheck are CLEAN, and the car HAS been in an accident. IMHO, both of these services do very little other than track ownership transfers.

My daily driver that I have owned since new has been in an accident (several months ago) and it also has a clean report.

I am going to try the CF buyback program just to see what happens.

I got a very good price for the Z I bought, as I pushed the accident issue hard with the dealer. To the untrained eye, it's looks very clean, i.e., the repair was good...
Old 05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Here is the car in question. 8K miles, 2002, QS/Mod Red, all stock. Frontend accident with something...

Last edited by JCHARLESW; 05-04-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:48 AM
jmoody66
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default to me

Here is the car in question. 8K miles, 2002, QS/Mod Red, all stock. Frontend accident with something...

The pic makes it apparent...the fender and door do not match very well.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 AM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carfax and Autocheck are CLEAN, and the car HAS been in an accident. IMHO, both of these services do very little other than track ownership transfers.

My daily driver that I have owned since new has been in an accident (several months ago) and it also has a clean report.

I am going to try the CF buyback program just to see what happens.

I got a very good price for the Z I bought, as I pushed the accident issue hard with the dealer. To the untrained eye, it's looks very clean, i.e., the repair was good...
Did you fix the damage out of pocket?Or did the ins company get involved? I hit a dog in my 94 and they had to respray the hood and it turned up on the carfax.

Get notified of new replies

To How to tell if an airbag has been deployed?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
JCHARLESW
Racer

Originally Posted by 94-vette
Did you fix the damage out of pocket?Or did the ins company get involved? I hit a dog in my 94 and they had to respray the hood and it turned up on the carfax.

Insurance all the way.

I have learned a lot in the last few weeks thru this experience. Carfax is just a starting tool, and little else.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 PM
Novat_99
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmoody66
The pic makes it apparent...the fender and door do not match very well.
...2 totally different colors in that picture
Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had my 02 QS Z06 totaled. On the interstate. Whole real axle assembly on tractor trailer let go. Got hit by the complete dual wheel unit (wheels/tires.hub). Right on passenger side front fender. Took out the whole front suspension, frame, quarter, hood, nose. The windshield was intact. Car is written off.

Both air bags deployed. Windshield never broke. Not even close. Drivers side air bag did not hit me. I had the seat all the way back and tilted. Air bag just missed my face. The deployment will scare the crap out of you alone. The passenger side air bag deployment twists the "oh ****" grab handle up good. The steering wheel center section is gone. All of it has to be replaced. You would have to figure out if the dashboard was newer or not. They are fairly easily replaced.

I also agree with what someone said. Based on that picture. either the angle you took it at causes it. The paint looks mismatched. IT should have been fresh painted in that section and then blended. Any good shop makes it blend to existing paint based on age and fade etc.

Update:
The bags are loaded with some type of talc. That **** is nasty. I had the taste in my mouth for 3 days after the accident. And the whole car gets smokey and you can't see where you are going. My car was still sliding when the air bags deployed and I was counter steering blind. You could smell it 2 weeks later even with the windows left open in the car.

Good luck returning it.
Graham

Last edited by vms4evr; 05-06-2008 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added comment on air bag talc/odor.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How to tell if an airbag has been deployed?