Sponsored by:

[Z06] INTAKES - Let's talk airflow and IAT's

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 AM
johnnythewall
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam/Blackwing

No one has any answer or question about this posting??????

No one has looked into air flow on the blackwing or vararam?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
427CPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the HallTech basic open filter/bridge. It datalogs around
2 deg over ambient temp.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

The VR is used on many modified 10-second C5s, so airflow on a stock Z06 is certainly not a problem. I've had no problems getting normal Long Term Fuel Trims with a VR. Fuel trim variations are not caused by more or less airflow, they are cause by inaccurate MAF readings due to turbulence caused by the airbox.

Pretty much any airbox (even the stocker) will see close to ambient IATs on a Z06 once the car is moving due to the airflow through the Z06 screens. Some boxes will allow the IATs to drop a bit quicker, but we are not talking about a huge difference. The LS1 cars, without the Z06 screens, are a different story.

The dyno test linked to above is an extremely inaccurate test. You cannot just swap an airbox on the dyno and run a test. Inaccurate MAF readings caused by each airbox will result in an immediate A/F ratio change (with a possibility of more power) and an eventual change to LTFT. The eventual LTFT change will result in a change in power and it may take away the immediate gain you saw when swapping the box on the dyno. You have to drive each box for a while to give LTFT a chance to settle into stoich.

I run a VR and my car runs super strong at the track, but I’ll be the first to admit that the airbox has very little to do with that. All of the airboxes run about the same, the nut behind the wheel makes a much bigger difference.

Last edited by rbartick; 04-29-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:36 PM
HUMVET51
Instructor

Default Blackwing!!

I installed the Blackwing filter but to reduce the potential for heat sink, I got a second (cheaper) radiator shroud from a swap meet and cut a hole the diameter o of the filter so the intake would suck air from the outside cavity. You may do well to search the web for a used Blackwing filter for maybe $100, cut the shroud yourself and youre all good.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
City Goat
Racer

Hey guys,

After much thought I'm going with the ole K&N drop in. For the mods I'm planning any intake won't be worth getting for any dramatic differences so atleast for this season I'll just be running the stock as a rock Z.

Thanks to everyone for your commentary. Here's what I've taken away from it....

Vararam B2 - it's going to draw in the best air and be less prone to heat soak issues BUT its fitment leaves a lot to be desired.

Open cone filters (blackwing, etc) - Once moving it might have similar IATs as the Vararam but at idle it will be more prone to heat from the engine bay.

So yeah K&N drop in it is. Thanks all.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Casselvette
Pro

City Goat, any problems after installing the K&N? Did it throw any codes?

What's your opinion after installing the K&N?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

I took a stock C5 air box cover and with a jig saw removed as much frontal area as I could to expose the air filter while still being able to use the stock spring clamps to hold the cover in place. Works great!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

be nice is some one ACTUALLY measured air flow speed and air flow volume though differnt air intake systems.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Hooker
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the double K&N Filter Kit on my Z and love the performance boost. The tube needs some additional work to close an air gap at the coupler, however. One problem, and it may relate to other aftermarket intake systems, is that one needs to be careful of filter saturation and water intake when driving in heavy rain.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

My car came with a VR, and with a little tweaking and adding the Powerduct, I'm happy with it. Car is getting tuned tomorrow (I just installed headers).

Quick Reply: [Z06] INTAKES - Let's talk airflow and IAT's