Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 wheels sold, is this a scam I got myself into??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Z06 wheels sold, is this a scam I got myself into??

If this is innappropriate for this forum feel free to move.

Here is the deal. I advertised a set of my OEM Z06 wheels and supercar tires for sale on this forum and craigslist for $1200. I received an odd e-mail from someone (assuming from craigslist) that mispelled every other word, wanted to send me money, then have his own "shipper" come get the wheels. This sounded very weird to me and I said I will pass I just want a simple paypal transaction then I ship wheels myself. I then received a reply saying its not a scam and that he for sure wants the wheels so I say fine send money order but before you do reply saying you are for sure buying the wheels and that I should consider them sold. Two weeks went by and never heard anything so I ended up selling the wheels to a local guy for cash and never thought again about that "craigslist scammer".
Today UPS shows up with a overnight envelope with FOUR legit money orders for $850 dollars EACH from some unknown name addressed in Salt Lake City. At first I had no idea what the $3400 was for since there was nothing else in the envelope and I only wanted $1200 for the wheels anyway. I then received an e-mail from that same guy that e-mailed me a couple weeks ago (that e-mail name is different from whats on the money orders). In this e-mail it says I should receive the envelope from UPS and it had instructions for me to keep $125 for gas and my troubles, and to western union like $2100 to some random guy (which supposedly he says is his shipper coming from Michigan) then when he receives the money he will contact me about picking up the wheels.

That is all I know now and I have four legit money orders totalling $3400and wheels that sold over a week ago. As of now I have done nothing else and certainly dont plan on sending some random guy in MI money. Anyone ever hear of something like this?
Thanks for any input and ideas.

JT
Old 04-08-2008, 04:51 PM
rolln_on_em
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scam, turn the money orders int the police, and walk away.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53 PM
EFNFAST
Burning Brakes

Im sure that's legit
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
wisky
Instructor

The money orders are fake. I work at UPS and find fake checks and travelers checks for scams like these all the time.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Scam
Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rolln_on_em
Scam, turn the money orders int the police, and walk away.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I assumed it was. Whats weird is then if these money orders are fake they sure did a good job. They are USPS money orders with the water ink mark AND even have the strip inside the money order itself. The only thing that worries me is that someone obviously has my address now.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:58 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

Total BS.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:02 PM
krm_wi_C5
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scam. I've sold a few things on Craigslist and received responses similar to yours. Instead of my address, I give them the street address of my local police dept. It's funny how I never hear from them again....
Old 04-08-2008, 05:03 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First one I've heard of where they actually sent the money. Let the police handle it.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Xx_Black-out
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

I'd consider that as part of the "rebate" check that president Bush is sending out to us and cash those puppies in!

...but then again, I'd also probably end up in jail.

Do the right thing and turn em' into your local law enforcement.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Would also advise your state's attorney general. they can add to the voluminous stack I'm sure they already have working that are the same or similar.

Don't try cashing them.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:19 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This certainly has all the hallmarks of this classic scam. What sounds puzzling is your description of the money orders themselves. You absolutely should contact the authorities and let them check it out. Since you say they are USPS money orders, I would show them to the postal inspectors - they generally take this pretty seriously.

Last edited by wamara; 04-08-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
RIDE3311
Pro

I have never heard of anything like that!!! Thats really funny. Well I'm glad your wheels/tires already sold.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 PM
Kamil D.
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I work for a big bank (the biggest in US) the money orders are probably fake I see them all the time (and that’s what gets true the tellers to my hands) some of them are really good. I cant get in to, to much off details about that. Go to police department and just tell them. Don’t worry about that they now your address they will not do anything. Why becuse they did not lost any many because they money orders are fake so no harm done its not like you have there cash get it? But I would go to the police, and send a email to him that the police have the many order and if he wants them he can contact them.

Trust me you don’t wane to try cashing the money orders!!!! TRUST ME!!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:45 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Run Forrest, run!

This is one of the oldest scams on the planet! I agree - contact the postal inspectors and your local P.D., though I'm sure they've seen this scam many times before!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:46 PM
toncarr
Intermediate

Default Scam

Run!! its' a SCAM

Below is an example from craigslists on how to recognized scams:

2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

* you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
* cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
* value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
* banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
* scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 wheels sold, is this a scam I got myself into??

Old 04-08-2008, 05:50 PM
zonsolo
Drifting

Scary stuff! Just be glad you sold them to someone else. I'd just toss the moneyorders as I'm sure they are counterfeit.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
SPIVET
Race Director

Frame the 4 'money orders' and hang them on a wall where you will see them on a daily basis. It will be a reminder the next time you find yourself in a similar situation and you will not have to ask again.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Kamil D.
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toncarr
Run!! its' a SCAM

Below is an example from craigslists on how to recognized scams:

2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

* you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
* cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
* value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
* banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
* scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)
That is true because we will still get paid for processing the item and will get beck are cash from you or the bake that was drown on (even do it was a fake) or the insurance company.

The tellers a lot of time cent tell if its fake or not only people that process this money orders can (insert my name) LOL

Quick Reply: Z06 wheels sold, is this a scam I got myself into??