mild corrosion on headers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default mild corrosion on headers...

my ceramic coated long tubes have mild corrosion forming on the tubes around where they mount to the block. how common is this and is there a safe way to remove it without damaging/scratchin the headers?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Why don't you contact the company who coated the headers for their recommendations? (JET HOT or HPC, maybe?)
I've removed mild surface JET HOT blemishes with a non abrasive metal polish in the past. I used WENOL metal polish applied to a soft clean towel and rubbed vigorously. It did leave a slightly shiny spot compared to the surrounding area, but it eliminated the blemish.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

well i bought them off the parts for sale section so my knowlege of them is limited. they're bassanis if that makes a difference. maybe i'll try the polishing route..
Old 04-07-2008, 05:53 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

You might check with BASSANI to see what they normally apply to their headers or contact the original owner if he applied the coating subsequent to his purchase.
Send off a message (or call) JET HOT and see what they recommend, anyway. JET HOT probably does more ceramic metallic coatings than anyone else.
Ceramic metallic coatings are durable, but can be damaged if you get overly aggressive with the metal polish.
If you elect to try and polish them yourself, use the mildest polish you have...the less grit the better. You can always step up to something else if it doesn't work initially.
You might laugh at the thought, but in the ol' days, we even used tooth paste to polish metal. I preferred minty green.
Even a good paint polish might produce the results you're looking for.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:59 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
You might check with BASSANI to see what they normally apply to their headers or contact the original owner if he applied the coating subsequent to his purchase.
Send off a message (or call) JET HOT and see what they recommend, anyway. JET HOT probably does more ceramic metallic coatings than anyone else.
Ceramic metallic coatings are durable, but can be damaged if you get overly aggressive with the metal polish.
If you elect to try and polish them yourself, use the mildest polish you have...the less grit the better. You can always step up to something else if it doesn't work initially.
You might laugh at the thought, but in the ol' days, we even used tooth paste to polish metal. I preferred minty green.
Even a good paint polish might produce the results you're looking for.
hah sweet.. gotta love the home remedy repairs! .. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To mild corrosion on headers...

Quick Reply: mild corrosion on headers...