Sponsored by:

[Z06] clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 11:24 AM
ov666
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch slave cylinder

i think my slaves cylinder is out. I have an 04 Z with 11,000 miles on it was changeing fluild 4 times now i have nothing. What slave cylinder are you using now that is better then the org one?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you mean you have nothing? No fluid in reservoir after adding it recently?
Old 04-06-2008, 12:20 PM
ov666
Advanced

pedtal falls to the floor. there is fluid in it
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It takes a lot more than 4 fluid changes to get all the fluid out. Try 12 times. I drive the car between changes--my fluid doesn't ever discolor just from working the clutch--it is the stress of high rpm. I discovered on the road course that it doesn't even matter if I shift--I kept it in 4th the whole time, never shifted, and still when I tried the pedal in the pits it was not right.

On mine, I am trying a high temperature fluid (motul 600) before I pay a pro mechanic to go in there. I might be wrong but I think the slave might be buried far enough that once in there you might as well do the clutch too.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
It takes a lot more than 4 fluid changes to get all the fluid out. Try 12 times. I drive the car between changes--my fluid doesn't ever discolor just from working the clutch--it is the stress of high rpm. I discovered on the road course that it doesn't even matter if I shift--I kept it in 4th the whole time, never shifted, and still when I tried the pedal in the pits it was not right.

On mine, I am trying a high temperature fluid (motul 600) before I pay a pro mechanic to go in there. I might be wrong but I think the slave might be buried far enough that once in there you might as well do the clutch too.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM
tvlance
Racer

Changing the fluid is great, but bleeding the slave did a LOT more for me and made a huge change in pedal feel. I'd changed the fluid from the master reservoir many many times, but even as I bled the slave, all kinds of gunky black fluid came out. After 10 cycles of bleeding, the fluid came out clear. I buttoned everything back up and have enjoyed a much more firm and consistent pedal feel since then. Now after bleeding the slave, I'm sure routine fluid changes in the reservoir will be much more effective now. So try changing fluid, then try bleeding. Let us know how that works!
Old 04-07-2008, 03:47 PM
mqqn
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'11

Hi ov666 -

Yes - it sounds to me that you got air into the system while changing the fluid out of the reservoir.

Make sure the reservoir is filled and the cap on before you try to pump the pedal (seems intuitive but worth repeating...)

When the slave fails, it typically is a leaking issue.....

I would bleed the slave and then try again.

best regards -

mqqn

Get notified of new replies

To clutch slave cylinder

Quick Reply: [Z06] clutch slave cylinder