What Bar is that?

Looks great man!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Please do not take this the wrong way, but that install is dangerous. They're supposed to wrap around the thick, larger part of the bar. And without the belts passing through the seat, they can and will slip off of the sides of your shoulders and you could be thrown through the windshield. I have the same belts, and bar, but I converted my Z06 seats to a pass through style seat. You can but the parts or have them done for you. Please be safe.
Seat conversions sold/installed here...www.eastcoastsupercharging.com

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 04-03-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:02 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like a Brey Krause bar ..... they are excellent ....

http://www.bkauto.com/

OP has the shoulder belts installed on the bar incorrectly. The belts are supposed to wrap around the MAIN bar, those little metal "guides" are there to keep the belts from sliding along the bar. He needs to take the end of each belt, feed it between the guide and the main bar, continue around the main bar, and then into the buckle that secures the belt.

The way he has it installed those guides will rip off and leave him with no protection.

Also, I see no "anti-submarine" protection .... or maybe he just hasn't installed the last belt ..... the BK mounts are set-up to allow the installation of a 6 point belt system.

Last edited by BlackZ06; 04-03-2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:18 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
Please do not take this the wrong way, but that install is dangerous. They're supposed to wrap around the thick, larger part of the bar. And without the belts passing through the seat, they can and will slip off of the sides of your shoulders and you could be thrown through the windshield. I have the same belts, and bar, but I converted my Z06 seats to a pass through style seat. You can but the parts or have them done for you. Please be safe.

Do not drive the car with the belts on like that, VERY DANGEROUS.

Also, if you don't plan on changing the seats to ones with pass thru holes, you need to have something going across the chest to hold the straps over the shoulder, together. Even with that, not ideal.

4 point belts will not be allowed on any track I have been on. Maybe you can get an anti sub to add. Sorry for the fyi twobit. Modding, it's a learning process & we have your best interest (life?) in mind.

Last edited by froggy47; 04-03-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Milan
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

You will not pass any technical inspection with your harnesses mounted like that. The part that you have them on will break instantly in a collision...not only that but you are relying on welds to save your life
Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ

Harness must be installed correctly or they are dangorious.

1. the harness is wrapped about the BIG bar, not the little guild loop.

2. Shoulder harness must go though the seat back not around the sides and not over the top

3. Sub belts come up though the seat bottom or between the seat bottom and seat back.

Your on the right track, just make a few adjustments.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

with the guys who posted. Be safe.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Big Kidd
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Milan
You will not pass any technical inspection with your harnesses mounted like that. The part that you have them on will break instantly in a collision...not only that but you are relying on welds to save your life
This needs to be corrected!! Be safe.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:58 PM
twobit
Advanced

thank you all for your input and suport!!! i will correct this now.i have done some drag racing in the past.with nitrous forced induction ect. but with my new zo6 i wanted to go safty first.also i cant seen to get this car down the track.with my old 2006 gto with 150 shot of nitrous i was getting 60' times at 1.7 and in the 7's in the 1/8.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Bristol
Racer

Originally Posted by twobit
thank you all for your input and suport!!! i will correct this now.i have done some drag racing in the past.with nitrous forced induction ect. but with my new zo6 i wanted to go safty first.also i cant seen to get this car down the track.with my old 2006 gto with 150 shot of nitrous i was getting 60' times at 1.7 and in the 7's in the 1/8.
Take a look at this product as a alternative to modifying your seats so that your seat belts go thought the seat. It seem to accomplish the objective and is one heck of a lot cheaper than new seats. "The dickstrap"

ttp://www.koolmat.com/race.shtml

Any opinions out there????
Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Bristol,

Hard to tell from that picture, but that sounds like what I use .....

http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?...&cat=20&page=1

In my opinion this is an OK solution for an HPDE. For racing I'd go with the correct seats, either the Corvette sport seats, or race seats such as Recaro, etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Bristol
Racer

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
Bristol,

Hard to tell from that picture, but that sounds like what I use .....

http://www.pyrotect.com/product.php?...&cat=20&page=1

In my opinion this is an OK solution for an HPDE. For racing I'd go with the correct seats, either the Corvette sport seats, or race seats such as Recaro, etc.

Yes, that seems to be the idea. are you currently using this product?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
BlackZ06
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bristol
Yes, that seems to be the idea. are you currently using this product?
Yes, I use this because I have the "stock" Z06 seats, which don't allow the belts to correctly fit over my shoulders. As I said in an earlier post ... I use this for HPDEs ... not racing. If I was racing I'd install correct seats, and add a HANS device to the set-up.

This Pyrotect product works well for me ..... it is adjustable as to how far apart it keeps the belts, and uses a huge area of velcro so that it seems unlikely that even under extreme conditions the velcro will seperate. The entire back of one pad is velcro, and the way it is set up your weight will actually press against the velcro in an "incident" making for a darn strong bond.

I like the product ... for what that is worth ....

Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by twobit
Just as an aside, don't use the racing harnesses on the street. First of all, they are not DOT approved for street use, so you can get a ticket for no seatbelts if you are using them. More importantly, they are not designed to work with your airbag. Use your stock seatbelt when driving on the street. Only use the harness at the track.

Plus, agree with all the other comments you got here. Four point belts are dangerous. You should at least have a 5 point belt setup.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:49 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
Just as an aside, don't use the racing harnesses on the street. First of all, they are not DOT approved for street use, so you can get a ticket for no seatbelts if you are using them. More importantly, they are not designed to work with your airbag. Use your stock seatbelt when driving on the street. Only use the harness at the track.

Plus, agree with all the other comments you got here. Four point belts are dangerous. You should at least have a 5 point belt setup.

anyone have info on four point belts that have a single breakaway belt on the shoulder? I've heard that with a belt setup like that, with one belt that will "breakaway" on impact, there is much less chance of sliding under the belts.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:39 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rules at most if not all tracks this year require all harnesses to pass though the seat backs and not around.

Get notified of new replies

To my new harnesses in my Z

Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
anyone have info on four point belts that have a single breakaway belt on the shoulder? I've heard that with a belt setup like that, with one belt that will "breakaway" on impact, there is much less chance of sliding under the belts.
I never heard of that, but I don't see what having a breakaway shoulder harness would accomplish. If you are going on the track, you should have a HANS device. For the HANS to work, the shoulder harnesses MUST be securely fastened, pass through holes in the seat and stay in place on impact. Frankly, I'd rather just use the stock seat belts and depend on the air bag system rather than fool around with a four point harness, especially one with a breakaway shoulder piece.

My opinion, YMMV.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 PM
twobit
Advanced

wow i did not expect to start this heavy of a topic.any way i fixed the problem.ill tell you that when you are straped in you do feel safe and secure and defenitly planted in your seat.next install (EJECTION SEAT)
Old 04-10-2008, 05:56 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
4 point belts are NOT DOT LEGAL except for the BMW Mini. NO track or club will allow 4 point belts at all. so dont even bother with them.

Break Away on impact? All belts will stretch up to 25% on impact. But guess what? your body does not.

Quick Reply: [Z06] my new harnesses in my Z