WTF is this??? I'm gettin pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
c5_alive
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
These shops make a mint on doing insurance work and this is all some shops will even deal with because the money is guaranteed.
On the contrary, the money may be guaranteed but I wouldn't say they are making a mint on insurance work. The flat labor rate for insurance work is between $40 to $45 an hour. Not much when you consider labor charges in todays world. (dealership to work on car $75 to $80 an hour) Insurance work used to be the thing to go after because body shops could charge there normal labor rate. Insurance companys have put the squeeze on body shops and capped their rate. I'm not saying that they aren't making any money but it's probably not what you would think. That in itself lies the problem. They don't have the time to spend on the car to do a top rate job and still turn the job around in the black.
That being said, I'm in no way making excuses for the shotty workmanship being done. The work done was sub standard, and needs to be fixed and fixed properly. There was no excuse for them to release a job that turned out that way. They knew what they were giving back. Anyways I hope all turns out well in the end!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Joe0121
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
The air dam seems to be backward
It is backwords it's supposed to fold forward and up.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:26 PM
3whit
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheez22
Just got my '01 Vette back from Abra Collision (Geico recommended that I take it there to get lifetime warranty). I had hit a large piece of tire tread on the highway that cracked my hood and bumper cover. It also bent my center air dam underneath the car.

My wife picked up the car when they finished the work (all done in one day btw). It was raining that day, so on the weekend, I washed and dried it to see how they did. They somehow didn't notice the bent center air dam piece underneath and I noticed overspray specks all over the rest of the car (not the hood or the bumper cover, though). Not to be too particular, but I also noticed where the bumper cover meets the edge of the front of the hood, it was kind of over-polished and burned. You could notice a little fading on the edges where the high speed polisher burned it.

I called and explained everything to the Manager and he said they would order a new center air dam piece and a new bracket that it connects to. Also, he said they would polish the whole car to get the overspray off. So, a week later when the part came in I dropped my Vette off (they gave me a rental). This time it took 4 days to get back. I couldn't pick it up, so my wife did.

Well, I just washed it and noticed the same over spray all over. The fender color don't really match up with the bumper and hood when you hold up a halogen light. The new air dam is some HIDEOUS after-market part that scrapes the ground when you hit bumps and looks like sht. It don't even match the two side pieces. The pics are listed below.

I don't want to waste any more time and money with these clowns. Can I call Geico and make them pay someone else to start all over??? Help. I'm freakin pissed!

Here's a couple of pics. It's kind of hard to really see how crappy it looks from the pics.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Those Bozos put it on backwards . Leading edge should be forward . My guess is the two small aluminum Brackets that support the center are not even on it . If they were they would have realized that it was wrong !! oh well maybe not . Obviously not familiar with corvettes. Insurance should pay for a repair that is professional and correct and timely. Best of luck with your repair
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Exact same story. In fact, I checked to see if I was the one that wropte the original post. My body shop did a crapy job, I had to have it re-done 3 times, then they put the air dam on upside down. When I got it home the last time, they scratched the rocker panels with the swing arms on the lift.

I was so pissed, I just decided to fix it myslef. I won't ever let anyone else touch my car.

I am working on diminished value with the insurance company now.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:07 AM
cheez22
Instructor

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
This is a common mistake made at dealerships.

The good news is you went to a recommended (albeit a lousy one) shop. This means as long as you complain, they have to fix it. Call your insurance company and bitch up a storm. They'll contact the shop and make them aware of the situation, and the shop will do whatever it takes to stay in the insurance company's good graces. These shops make a mint on doing insurance work and this is all some shops will even deal with because the money is guaranteed. They will put their best guy on it and if he can't get it right, they should send it somewhere where someone who knows what they are doing can fix it.

What a whack job. That paint looks terrible. I'd be pissed too. You need to quit sending your wife to pick it up though. If you're as picky as I am, you need to inspect the work before it leaves the shop.

UPDATE

I called my Geico adjuster directly yesterday and she gave me her supervisor's name and number. I called him and left a detailed message with the whole story. A few hours later, the shop manager called and practically begged for one more chance. He promised to get it done right this time and said he would inspect it himself. He is going to hire an outside company that specializes in removing overspray. He even offered to pick up my car from my job himself as I told him that its very hard to find time to drop it off. He also offered to meet me on Saturday (whatever it takes).

Well, the Geico supervisor called right after I talked with the shop manager and I told him the story. Now he wants to meet me at the shop when I drop my car off.

As far as letting my wife pick the car up, I don't get off work til after they close. She gets off early. Anyway, the first time she picked it up, it was raining and the second time, the car was covered with pollen. So, I wouldn't have seen any of the damage on both occasions until I got home and cleaned and dried it off anyway.

I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all the info and "fuel"!
Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Mongolink
Pro

UPDATE

I called my Geico adjuster directly yesterday and she gave me her supervisor's name and number. I called him and left a detailed message with the whole story. A few hours later, the shop manager called and practically begged for one more chance. He promised to get it done right this time and said he would inspect it himself. He is going to hire an outside company that specializes in removing overspray. He even offered to pick up my car from my job himself as I told him that its very hard to find time to drop it off. He also offered to meet me on Saturday (whatever it takes).

Well, the Geico supervisor called right after I talked with the shop manager and I told him the story. Now he wants to meet me at the shop when I drop my car off.

As far as letting my wife pick the car up, I don't get off work til after they close. She gets off early. Anyway, the first time she picked it up, it was raining and the second time, the car was covered with pollen. So, I wouldn't have seen any of the damage on both occasions until I got home and cleaned and dried it off anyway.

Your car is just comming out of a body shop!! it should be clean and polished and MINT!!!! not dirty or pollen covered!!!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE

This is obviously a shop that strictly does insurance work and Geico is obviously a big supplier of their business. I figured as much.

It would be nice if you could get them to save that air dam piece and have it sent to me. No use wasting a perfectly installed upside down one!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 04-01-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that airdam seems to be installed backwards.....
Old 04-01-2008, 11:22 AM
rudolph schenker
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikester
looks like they cheaped out and bought some universal air dam.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Some of the comments make me think that some have never looked at their air damn configuration. The notches are supposed to be placed at the top. The two aluminum brackets cannot be engaged with the air damn upside down, allowing it to look at it does in the images by the original poster...

Last edited by hotwheels57; 04-01-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: WTF is this??? I'm gettin pissed.