Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] How far can gas go before you have had enough ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:20 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil refineries are for the most part not owned or operated by the oil companies. I worked closely with 4 major refineries in the north San Fransico bay area ( martinez, richmond, benica) in the 1990s. Percentage profit margines are slim despite what the dollar figures seem to indicate. ( Just as the major grocery stores percent of profits run at 1%)

Oil company profit percentages are not reflective of refineries.http://www.opec.org/home/Monthly%20O...f/mr022007.pdf

Because the vast percenatge of oil imported is larger than what is domestically produced , profits percentages vary little even as dollar figures increase. Many reasons for this which include the devaluation of the dollar, sharply rising costs of doing buisness in America from the ever increasing tax burdens and demands from EPA ( Supreme court rulings allowing the EPA to suppress carbon dioxide from all operations) and congress, dividens to stock holders ( me), inflated costs of repairing and replacing oil plateforms in the gulf, oil exploration cost rising from deeper ocean surveys and drilling.

Oil companies are not the meanies , sure they take a profit but that is the system , Capitalism that we work under. The government , all governments , city, county, state included have their hand in the pot. Remember always: THE CONSUMER PAYS FOR EVERYTHING.

If you don't like the result, then overthrow the system. It was done bye your forefathers for a high taxes. Do I hear "the South shall rise again" or "no taxation without representation"?

Still nothing is going to keep from enjoying my vehicles the way God intended all good Americans to do!

Last edited by dieseldave56; 03-29-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldave56
Oil company profit percentages are not reflective of refineries.http://www.opec.org/home/Monthly%20O...f/mr022007.pdf
That report was from a year ago. I like the data on the last page concerning the price of oil:

OPEC Basket average price
US$ per barrel
down 7.22 in January

January 2007 50.73
December 2006 57.95
Year-to-date 50.73

Now it's a year later than that data ... and a barrel of oil was $104 today ... DOUBLE. Not a good sign. And yes, it is true that gov't taxes the gas way too much. Around here the roads are still crap and it seems there is nothing really seen from all the money raised by the added gas taxes.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just wait...................

ZeeOSix; just wait there is a new tax strategy on the way for the gas tax. Oregon has just completed a two year study on a plan to increase revenue as the tax per gallon is decreasing due to better overall mpg of vehicles today.

Now they have devised a mileage counter that will be programed to your car. When you fill up the pump will talk to your car and determine how many miles since your last fillup and then charge you a per mile tax.

So it won't make any difference if you drive a 40 mpg hybred or a 9 mpg Hummer, if both travel the same distance the tax will be the same.

The state program is in its last phase and actually being tested in several areas using average vehicles. You're next and then the federal gas tax.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:43 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dieseldave56
ZeeOSix; just wait there is a new tax strategy on the way for the gas tax. Oregon has just completed a two year study on a plan to increase revenue as the tax per gallon is decreasing due to better overall mpg of vehicles today.

Now they have devised a mileage counter that will be programed to your car. When you fill up the pump will talk to your car and determine how many miles since your last fillup and then charge you a per mile tax.

So it won't make any difference if you drive a 40 mpg hybred or a 9 mpg Hummer, if both travel the same distance the tax will be the same.

The state program is in its last phase and actually being tested in several areas using average vehicles. You're next and then the federal gas tax.
... time to move to Idaho !!

Yes, I'm sure there are evil plans in the making for us all ... so everyone go enjoy those Vettes while you still can !

These people realize that as people cut down on buying gas their tax revenues will decrease dramatically. Hence, a new evil plan to dig deeper into your pockets for tax money.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 AM
C5Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could all form a vette militia and live in a compound together. At night we could go out and hijack tanker trucks Mad Max style. Life would be good
Old 03-29-2008, 02:41 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5Z
We could all form a vette militia and live in a compound together. At night we could go out and hijack tanker trucks Mad Max style. Life would be good
Could be that "Road Warrior" was a crystal ball in to the future. I love that movie along with "Mad Max" ... classic stuff.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Wicked_Z06
Melting Slicks

I payed $4.00 yesterday. From "reserve fuel" (my tuner left it there for me ) to full, I payed $62.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok ive changed my mind

Im gonna keep my z just going to have to drive it only on the weekends

Ive settled on a 07 gsxr 1000 that should get better mpg

Does the Quarter in around 9.44 while still getting 40 miles a gallon !

Last edited by Waytofastvette2006; 03-30-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
Ok ive changed my mind

Not a good solution... people with no concept of how to drive that are busy doing everything BUT driving the vehicle (usually an SUV) will kill you - if the road conditions don't get your first. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. I spent 9 years racing (professionally) and in a fraction of a second on the street travelling at parking lot speeds I suffered the worst injury I've ever had at someone else's hand and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. One of my friends who anxiously waited while I was in the O.R. for several hours on the verge of death with an arterial bleed caused by the femur becoming a bunch of shards summed it up real well. "I've seen him do things I wouldn't even know how to try, or want to, and yet he couldn't avoid that." He sold his bike because in his own words, "that tells me I don't stand a chance."

Have a look at my left femur, and perhaps you'll rethink that one.

For the record, had I not been wearing my full racing gear (which I always did even in 100+ degree temps) I would have suffered a traumatic amputation of the left leg at the hip joint and certainly died while waiting on the ambulance - per my surgeon. And one other thing you need to consider in your budget - if gas is expensive, that surgery right there will flat out bankrupt you, which means they won't give it to you. I walk perfectly, because I got it - the titanium parts alone were nearly 20k and that doesn't count the cost of the surgery, or the week in the hospital, or recovery costs, etc - we're talking new Z06 levels of money here. Having them all removed 5 years later was another 8k. Paying for gas is a drop in the bucket next to paying for repairs on the human body, assuming they can even fix you.

Last edited by Twil1ght; 03-30-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:22 PM
bmacZO6
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
Ok ive changed my mind

Sounds like a plan, bikes are great fun and get great mileage to boot. I would sell my vette before the bikes go.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Oh trust me i know all about it. This would be my 4th liter bike i would have owned. Having done a little over 30 thousand street miles on a sportbike ive almost been killed a handfull of times both from my stupidity and from other people

Ive also been down as well. Lost it on a curve at 70 slid off into the weeds. It's deffinatly a dangerous sport. But its also a ton of fun !

I would be saying the same thing though if i would have gotten my leg broken like that

Originally Posted by Twil1ght
Not a good solution... people with no concept of how to drive that are busy doing everything BUT driving the vehicle (usually an SUV) will kill you - if the road conditions don't get your first. Everyone thinks it won't happen to them. I spent 9 years racing (professionally) and in a fraction of a second on the street travelling at parking lot speeds I suffered the worst injury I've ever had at someone else's hand and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. One of my friends who anxiously waited while I was in the O.R. for several hours on the verge of death with an arterial bleed caused by the femur becoming a bunch of shards summed it up real well. "I've seen him do things I wouldn't even know how to try, or want to, and yet he couldn't avoid that." He sold his bike because in his own words, "that tells me I don't stand a chance."

For the record, had I not been wearing my full racing gear (which I always did even in 100+ degree temps) I would have suffered a traumatic amputation of the left leg at the hip joint and certainly died while waiting on the ambulance - per my surgeon. And one other thing you need to consider in your budget - if gas is expensive, that surgery right there will flat out bankrupt you, which means they won't give it to you. I walk perfectly, because I got it - the titanium parts alone were nearly 20k and that doesn't count the cost of the surgery, or the week in the hospital, or recovery costs, etc - we're talking new Z06 levels of money here. Having them all removed 5 years later was another 8k. Paying for gas is a drop in the bucket next to paying for repairs on the human body, assuming they can even fix you.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:48 PM
94-vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twil1ght

Hold the phone,Bikes are a great way to save on gas.I've got 2 of them.Its the luck of the draw.We all know bikes a dangerous and we take that risk.I've been riding for 15years and no mishaps.I've done track days at Vir and the whole nine. To make a blanket statement as to the bike/street will kill you is wrong.I have a 07 R1/05 R6 and what was a 94 900RR. Just cause you had a get off don't trash bikes. The DOC is my hero!!! #46
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 94-vette
Bikes are a great way to save on gas. I've got 2 of them. Its the luck of the draw. We all know bikes a dangerous and we take that risk.
Yep ... any true bike veteran will say that. I've been riding for over 25 years and have had a few non-serious mishaps. Yes, something tragic can happen to anyone ... even the pros. What I hate to see is some 18 year old kid get a GSXR-1000 or Hayabusa for his first bike ... now that's scary. It's also true that there are more and more idiot drivers on the roads these days, so it makes riding a bike in big city areas a good challenge at times. If more people in cars knew how to drive and share the road with motorcyclists then it might be safer for them.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 03-31-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:02 AM
Sick Z06
Racer

Thankfully the wife only needs a tank a week for work. I'm sporting a work truck with a company card during the week. So I'm not sweating it too bad. We (yes we, the wife and I) take the bike out on the weekends. 170+Hp @ 27+ Mpg.. No problemo.

However to the OP.. Why Sell the Z and buy a sports bikes? Bikes aren't that expensive.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Yep ... any true bike veteran will say that. I've been riding for over 25 years and have had a few non-serious mishaps. Yes, something tragic can happen to anyone ... even the pros. What I hate to see is some 18 year old kid get a GSXR-1000 or Hayabusa for his first bike ... now that's scary. It's also true that there are more and more idiot drivers on the roads these days, so it makes riding a bike in big city areas a good challenge at times. If more people in cars knew how to drive and share the road with motorcyclists then it might be safer for them.
Don't be quick to blame the bike. For your amount of experience, I would expect less of the "dramatics" and "susperstitions" of motorcycles. The simple facts are a NEW 600cc, can get you into trouble just as fast as a 4 yr old 1000. So to say "dont buy a xxxxx" is just non-sensical. No, you don't need to go there. The bike isn't the problem. It's just like saying Guns kill people. It's not the item to blame. YES I speak from experience. Check my photo gallery link in my sig, and you'll see why I say that.

Why do I ride... No it's not to just: Save gas, avoid traffic, freedom, etc.. I ride, because I love motorcycles, and riding them. Do I know the risks, you bet ya. Will it stop me, no. It's no worse then worrying every day if that one idiot talking on a cellphone will kill me or not. Our time to go, will be our time. No matter the cause. Spare me your philosophical postings about mortality and danger. I'm happy, and I cause no harm to anyone. You can't beat that.

Last edited by Sick Z06; 04-01-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: addition to post.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Holy crap, after seeing 94-vette's input on this thread, now I know my personal decision not to ride a motor bike on the congested Southern California roads in an attempt to save money is a right one.

But with respect to the topic of gas, the sad part is we have enough oil shale reserves in the Green River Basin (area covering portions of Utah, Colorado and Wyoming) to provide our own home grown gasoline for the next 300 years. We have so much, we could even export crude oil. With crude over $100 a barrel, certainly we have easily reached the break even point to produce it? Yet we see nothing. I have not heard any of the presidential candidates, Dem or Repub, even mention this.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:26 AM
dkny_stylez
Instructor

i dunno how u guys are complaining, I pay $4.30/gallon now, and it will increase when summer hits
Old 04-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't sell my car and I won't stop DD it.
Well, I will sell it. Just to get a C6Z51 or Z06. Only reason.
I'm won't stop driving my '68 Chevelle with a 454 in it regularly either.
I'm not going to let the tree-hugger controled government ruin my life. Yet. lol

Get notified of new replies

To How far can gas go before you have had enough ?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06ster
Holy crap, after seeing 94-vette's input on this thread, now I know my personal decision not to ride a motor bike on the congested Southern California roads in an attempt to save money is a right one.

But with respect to the topic of gas, the sad part is we have enough oil shale reserves in the Green River Basin (area covering portions of Utah, Colorado and Wyoming) to provide our own home grown gasoline for the next 300 years. We have so much, we could even export crude oil. With crude over $100 a barrel, certainly we have easily reached the break even point to produce it? Yet we see nothing. I have not heard any of the presidential candidates, Dem or Repub, even mention this.

I believe ron paul had a thing or two to say about that very subject. I wont let you know who i voted for in michigans primary
Old 04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Could be that "Road Warrior" was a crystal ball in to the future. I love that movie along with "Mad Max" ... classic stuff.
"Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that'll haul that tanka. So if you wanna get out of here...you talk to me."
Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
detn8tor
Advanced

18 BILLION DOLLAR TAX BREAK!!!!

Are they serious?? Thats crazy!!!! Somebody better do something....
Thats why these people feel there is no relief in sight...Cause there isn't...

Woody

Quick Reply: [Z06] How far can gas go before you have had enough ?