Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Northern Owners Cope With The Withdrawal Symptoms?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:01 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default How Do You Northern Owners Cope With The Withdrawal Symptoms?

My Vert has been off the road now for about 2 months waiting for my modified center console to get back from FL. I'd love to drive the car but I have wires everywhere and the center console looks like a bomb site.

I see hundreds of threads from "Up North" with mod programs and polishing but it's not working for me. The answer can't be use the time to instal mods because I'm doing that and its still driving me crazy

What do you guys do to shorten the sentence? Help me out here; I need therapy
Old 03-19-2008, 02:07 AM
cdn ws6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,

My car usually goes away at the end of October and comes out again in early/mid April. I purchased a snowmobile this winter to help satisfy the "need for speed". 100mph a few feet from the snow feels pretty quick! It's still no substitute for the Vette but helps to pass the time! However, when it's minus 40+ degrees celsius snowmobiling isn't an option for me!

Tyler

Last edited by cdn ws6; 03-19-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

It's not easy! I have my vette in CA for the winter (I bought it there in January and haven't moved it up here to AK yet.)

I can assure you, having a new vette sitting 3000 miles away, is a PAIN IN THE ****!!! At least if it was here, I could go into the garage and pretend to drive it and make vroom vroom noises like a little kid.

Luckily, I'm leaving on Thursday to pick her up, drive her to Seattle, and stick her on a barge... and in three short weeks from NOW, I'll be driving her in Alaska!

I suppose next year, during the winter, I'll have all the time in the world to add mods, buff every last defect out of the paint, and do various other things that I wouldn't want to do during the summer when it would eat into driving time.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The ONLY good thing about it, is that in the Spring it's like getting her all over again for the first time!!!!!!!

That is until you find out the Mods you did over the winter didn't turn out right and there's a mouse nest under the right FRC....
Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 AM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With putting your vette away for the winter makes you appreciate it more when the spring and summer do finally come back. Other then that "it sucks"
Old 03-19-2008, 03:27 AM
flyzlow
Melting Slicks

Default Thankfully I don't have to deal with that problem...but if I did...

Last edited by flyzlow; 03-19-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive it. Drive it in the rain,driven it in the snow. It's a car it's made to drive. I laugh at all the people on here who bought a $50,000 garage ornament.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancejoker
I drive it. Drive it in the rain,driven it in the snow. It's a car it's made to drive. I laugh at all the people on here who bought a $50,000 garage ornament.
This is why I don't drive my Vette during the winter...

This is what 5 miles of driving during spring thaw does... and when the weather does break, I'll be driving past in my clean vette, laughing as you scrub all that crud off yours!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I drive mine year round! The only time I don't drive it is in heavy snow, but most of the winter I'm out there with it. I'd miss it too much if I didn't drive it! Sure it gets a little dirty but it still cleans up perfectly, I just make sure to get a good handwash at a detail shop every Saturday during the winter.

Here is a before/after shot:

Salt won't kill it as long as you get it washed frequently. Ten year old paint and it still looks like new.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:07 AM
chuck1026
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Lancejoker
Driving the C5 here is not an option. The average vehicle can withstand 6-8 winter driving seasons before the salt and gravel blast and corrode every metal component on the vehicle.

Rusty steel frames, brakes, brake lines... pitted and corroded aluminum wheels, cracked and pitted windshields, front clips (not the Vette of course) peppered with stone chips starting to rust from salt... and that is the good part. The probability of getting in an accident (even no fault of you) is huge on the ice and snow.

Have fun... my C5 was bought for the long haul. Winter is a time to drive my 4x4 and have fun doing donuts and fish-tailing around at lower speeds. The Vette can sit that out. Heck, it's paid for anyway.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:41 AM
MyOwn69
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUNNYD 95
With putting your vette away for the winter makes you appreciate it more when the spring and summer do finally come back. Other then that "it sucks"
Old 03-19-2008, 06:50 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been 4 looooooooong months now with who knows how many more weeks. It's like getting a new Corvette every April.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
vetter79
Burning Brakes

I took mine out in 22 D. weather (top off) to try the new Konis out. Getting icicles on your a## makes you realize that it can sit there for another month!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Mtnvettes
Racer

I listen to the great radio programs on BBC-7 over my computer. Keeps my mind occupied so that the winter goes faster.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Default Won't work for you-sorry!

I put the Vette away, place a battery tender on it, cover it up, get in my diesel motorhome and head South for 4-5 months. Works for me!!
Old 03-19-2008, 07:10 AM
MRJB
Instructor

My Vette is put away for the winter months. There are too many people that don't know how to drive in the snow that make it a hazard to be driving the vette. So she sits in the garage. However, I have managed to do some mods while we wait for warmer weather.

Last week I decided to put it on my car lift and change the oil and clean up the undercarrage. It took me better part of the day. The wife thought there was trouble because the simple "oil change" took so long. "NOPE just inspecting every inch!!!"
Old 03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Tim01Coupe
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cope? Who coping? This winter sucks bad!
I did manage to drive in on clear, dry days for two days each month this winter after parking it in November, but with cold pavement and tires, it was no fix for a very addictive habit.
Been driving it daily the past week, but it looks like the other black one pictured above. YUK!

Get notified of new replies

To How Do You Northern Owners Cope With The Withdrawal Symptoms?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Wash the salt of your cars and it's not an issue. Then again you guys blasting me probably don't believe in waxing either.

Originally Posted by Patman
I drive mine year round! The only time I don't drive it is in heavy snow, but most of the winter I'm out there with it. I'd miss it too much if I didn't drive it! Sure it gets a little dirty but it still cleans up perfectly, I just make sure to get a good handwash at a detail shop every Saturday during the winter.

Here is a before/after shot:

Salt won't kill it as long as you get it washed frequently. Ten year old paint and it still looks like new.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I still drive my car on dry days if there is no salt or sand on the roads. It's just not fun to drive in wet weather. There's nothing like bustin' out the car on a cold/sunny winter day.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:29 AM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Wait for a day that the sun is out and GO FOR IT. After that wait for another good day to clean it up. We don't have the salt to contend with, only the rain.

Quick Reply: How Do You Northern Owners Cope With The Withdrawal Symptoms?