Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another question on drag radials.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 AM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another question on drag radials.

I'm about to purchase drag radials, and have narrowed it down to Nitto's, I need to stay with 18"

It will be either NT-01's or Nitto 555's RII

Any one have experience with either of these?

The car is not a daily driver and never driven in snow or rain - intentionally that is.

The car would mostly be run on the street with very limited track time.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The Nitto 555 RII is a good tire. I ran it for a while before getting the BFGs. It lasts longer than the BFG but isn't as sticky. Since my car isn't a DD either, I got the stickier of the two. It was nice having a DR that lasted longer than 3 months if constantly driven though.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 AM
b18c1950
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nitto does lasts longer

i would go with bfg for more traction.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

word of caution, drag radials make cops' lives a lot easier, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents worth of caution.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Brad@RevXtremeAutoSports
word of caution, drag radials make cops' lives a lot easier, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents worth of caution.

R1 and R2's are awesome tires. Have had both.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

ya, I looked at BFG also, problem is the sizes they have

275/35/18 or 295/35/18

The first one 275/35/18, I think it would look funny as the sidewall height is too short, my car is at stock height.

295/35/18 - Would this work on a stock 18" wagon wheel - I've heard it would work and pepole have done it though.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:40 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can put the 295-35x18 on the stock 9.5" wheel - it's not really recommended. You should have a slightly wider wheel, at least a 10" wide wheel. Also - I question the reason why someone would want a drag radial on a mostly street driven vehicle. I have no personal experience with them - but I have had many discussions with friends that have run them on the street, and they have found them to be crappy handling tires. They are designed to hook up at a drag strip, not handle the potential extreme lateral loads when driving a vehicle like a Corvette through curves.

Why not mount a set on a pair of 10" wide wheels, and have a set of street tires for the rest of the time that will be more effective for the streets.

A wise man once told me that you can teach a pig to sing, but all you get is a gawd awful noise and one pi$$ed off pig......if you know what I mean.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:10 PM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
You can put the 295-35x18 on the stock 9.5" wheel - it's not really recommended. You should have a slightly wider wheel, at least a 10" wide wheel. Also - I question the reason why someone would want a drag radial on a mostly street driven vehicle. I have no personal experience with them - but I have had many discussions with friends that have run them on the street, and they have found them to be crappy handling tires. They are designed to hook up at a drag strip, not handle the potential extreme lateral loads when driving a vehicle like a Corvette through curves.

Why not mount a set on a pair of 10" wide wheels, and have a set of street tires for the rest of the time that will be more effective for the streets.

A wise man once told me that you can teach a pig to sing, but all you get is a gawd awful noise and one pi$$ed off pig......if you know what I mean.

I hear ya, we can debate all day why I need them but I dont want to waist your time.

One could argue why they would need over 400 rwhp for a "street" car also, and I know a few of those people.

But arent some of these drag radials designed for autocross too?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
kingsey
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked into this myself cause I know after my cam I would needto loose the old tires I have now. I went with street tires because if it rarely sees the strip u want a tire that will hook but also give u good handling why have a vette that handels like a box mustang?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Here is my take on the Nitto NT-01s as I run them in the 315/30/18s and love them on dry pavement. Actually for the first 5k they were ok in wet weather. There is nothing short of a real slick to hold my power, so I have learned throttle modulation.

My take on the NT-01s are that they offer superior handling and traction over treaded tires as I run Falken's for my wet and normal day to day driving. The NTs have stiffer sidewalls over the R tires or the BFGs and with the spirited country driving I do the NTs are the ticket. They put my Vette on rails and my car sticks in the turns where I plant her and they are very stable in turns and I have been over 170 mph with them on and they are fine at high speeds. For your needs you need to determine if you want the best handling NT-01s or a little better traction with the R series or the best traction and worst handling of the BFGs
Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 PM
1998whitecoupe-a4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peter pan
Here is my take on the Nitto NT-01s as I run them in the 315/30/18s and love them on dry pavement. Actually for the first 5k they were ok in wet weather. There is nothing short of a real slick to hold my power, so I have learned throttle modulation.

My take on the NT-01s are that they offer superior handling and traction over treaded tires as I run Falken's for my wet and normal day to day driving. The NTs have stiffer sidewalls over the R tires or the BFGs and with the spirited country driving I do the NTs are the ticket. They put my Vette on rails and my car sticks in the turns where I plant her and they are very stable in turns and I have been over 170 mph with them on and they are fine at high speeds. For your needs you need to determine if you want the best handling NT-01s or a little better traction with the R series or the best traction and worst handling of the BFGs
Thanks for the info, appreciate it

The NT-01's are the ones I'm really interested in.

Since you have experience with them, I hear they kick up a lot of road debris on the street? Did you notice this at all?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998whitecoupe-a4
I'm about to purchase drag radials, and have narrowed it down to Nitto's, I need to stay with 18"

It will be either NT-01's or Nitto 555's RII

Any one have experience with either of these?

The car is not a daily driver and never driven in snow or rain - intentionally that is.

The car would mostly be run on the street with very limited track time.
The 555r11 is not a drag tire.It has the Nitto drag pattern but has a stiff sidewall it is considered a fusion tire.The Nitto 555 drag radial has the same tread pattern with a soft sidewall.I have the 555R11 on my 581rwhp Z and it is a great tire hooks well and sticks like glue on the twistys.I felt the 555R11 was a better choice over the NT-O1 due to the up size from stock 295 35 18 to 305 35 18.I will tell you these tires warm up quick even with minumal driving.

Get notified of new replies

To Another question on drag radials.

Quick Reply: Another question on drag radials.