Trailer and hitch- which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
sdef
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Trailer and hitch- which one?

I need a way to bring 4 race tires to the track. I assume my best option is a tire or small utility trailer. Which hitch and trailer do you recommend? How much should I expect to spend and where do you suggest buying them?

Thanks for your help,

sdef
Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Tim01Coupe
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

On a C5? A modified C5 for the track?
GM says don't do it.
I have to agree.
You will kill resale value too.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:56 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

a hitch on a c5?? not a good idea, have the wife follow you in the truck....
Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim01Coupe
On a C5? A modified C5 for the track?
GM says don't do it.
I have to agree.
You will kill resale value too.
Thanks for answering the OP's question. Everytime a trailer hitch or snow tire thread comes up there's always extra "noise" in the thread. He didn't ask "should I" he asked "which one?"

OK now I'm off my soapbox, for the OP, I use a Draw-Tite hitch and tow a 5x8 open bed trailer. I've loaded it with everything from bags of top soil, to DJ equipment, to my motorcycle. The 'vette works great as a tow vehicle for LIGHT loads, such as track tires. Though I suggest having Z06 suspension either way.

You can get the hitch practically anywhere online like e-trailer.com. There's also Reese and Dalan. I THINK the Dalan is discontinued. The reese, I didn't like because it does not use a 1 1/4" receiver, it has some strange flat design because I also wanted to use a bike rack with it too.

As for resale value- besides slightly enlarging the holes for the rear fascia you'll never know the hitch was there if you decide to even take it off. The instructions state to cut 2 1" holes on either side in the frame, but this step can be avoided if you remove the rear fascia Be prepared for some strange looks

Last edited by ericdwong; 03-02-2008 at 09:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ElectricBluZ06 (08-09-2023)
Old 03-02-2008, 09:14 PM
notnuts16
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hitch

My C5 had a hitch on it when I bought it about 9 months ago. The previous owner pulled his Harly with it and said you couldn't even tell that it was back there. As far as looks go, there is a Harly insert in the reciever and it almost looks like a center plate but sticks out a little farther. Don't know if I'll ever use it but I'm not taking it off.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Draw-Tite and Da'Lan ( by Curtis) both make hidden hitches for the C5. I have the Da'Lan. ~$150
it took about an hour to install.

I had a welding shop weld a flat piece of 4"x7" steel to the end of a receiver and used double sided tape to attach my exhaust plate to the flat plate. The exhaust plate now hides the trailer hitch

I bought a small 4x6 foot utility trailer with expanded metal floor and tub frame/ $279. at Tractor Supply (TSC) I added a diamond plate tool box for $129. Menards also sells similar utility trailers and tool boxes.
It pulls great and holds 4 tires, my jack, air pig, and all the tools I need for the track.

Others buy a 4x4 " trailer at Harbor Freight for about $229 and modify it.

Here are some pics from another members customized Harbor Fright tire trailer.

Last edited by rws.1; 03-02-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:51 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Here's a link to the Draw-Tite

http://search.cartserver.com/search/...VETTE&GO=GO%21

Here's one for the Da'Lan

http://www.hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?...ID=6&VID=23609

(back to top)
CURT MFG. TRAILER HITCHES
SKU #: 306076
$150.49
(includes shipping)

CURT CLASS I RECEIVER. (CAPACITY: 2500 / 0 ) (D)
(1-1/4" Square Receiver with Ballmount,Pin and Clip.)
Original Equipment Rear Bumper

WEIGHT CARRYING RATINGS
GROSS WEIGHT CAPACITY 2500
TONGUE WEIGHT CAPACITY 200

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING RATINGS
NOT INTENDED FOR USE WITH WEIGHT DISTRIBUTING ATTACHMENTS

Current Production Item.

A LITTLE ABOUT APPEARANCE:
Crossmember of This Hitch is Nestled Behind the Vehicle Bumper or Fascia.
Physical Weight: 19

Call Toll Free 800-300-4067
Phone Hours: Mon - Fri 6:30am - 3:00pm Pacific Time
Copyright (c) 2008 Hitch-web.com® | email info@hitch-web.com
-- powered by Hitch-Net.com --
Old 03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Here are two more tire trailers that I saw on the Forum

this first one is where I got my idea...
I combined the black utility trailer with a diamond plate box that I mounted closest to the tongue.

here is another...
Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-trailer

I bought a hitch for my C5 off E-trailer. It took an hour or so to install it and the hitch is hidden by the small Vette plate on the insert. I pulled a small teardrop trailer until I sold it and now, who knows if I'll ever use it again, it stays just in case! Don't be afraid to pull a small trailer, you won't ever know it's back there.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got my hitch from e-trailer too

pretty easy to install and any utility trailer will work. The one in the picture is one I borrowed from a friend.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
env00
Drifting

Old 03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

subscribed.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:04 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Wow, I guess the two posters after the OP learned a lesson.. (joking, by the way) it seems the trailers are a very popular way tote extras to the Track!! I am going to do one, but would like to find a CB antenna that fits into the trailer hitch.. I know there are ones for the C5 that remove, but they leave a little bolt and what not there... Plus then I could pull my jetski...

Old 03-03-2008, 12:32 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Thanks for answering the OP's question. Everytime a trailer hitch or snow tire thread comes up there's always extra "noise" in the thread. He didn't ask "should I" he asked "which one?"
Thanks for the mature response and the gentle "chiding" of the first two posters. You did far more tactfully that would I.

Good info on the hitch as well. I was looking at a neat little diamond plated refridgerated box on two wheel that would be awesome for picnics, etc.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:50 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

I installed the Draw-Tite on mine and it is fine. Yes we own Corvette's and yes you can tow your tire trailer to the track with it.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Originally Posted by iced98lx
Wow, I guess the two posters after the OP learned a lesson.. (joking, by the way) it seems the trailers are a very popular way tote extras to the Track!! I am going to do one, but would like to find a CB antenna that fits into the trailer hitch.. I know there are ones for the C5 that remove, but they leave a little bolt and what not there... Plus then I could pull my jetski...

I dunno if you've seen this one, or if this is what you were referring to:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-41-2926.html

As for towing the jetski- did you see the picture of the C5 Z06 that sunk off the boat launch....
Old 03-03-2008, 05:19 PM
iced98lx
Drifting

Originally Posted by ericdwong
I dunno if you've seen this one, or if this is what you were referring to:

http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette-1-41-2926.html

As for towing the jetski- did you see the picture of the C5 Z06 that sunk off the boat launch....
Trying not to side track the thread too much, yes, I've seen that one, and I like it, but I'd like one that mounts in the trailer hitch (sits lower) better, so that's why I'm looking for one.. That one will be what I get if I cant' find one for the trailer hitch...

2nd, the jetski comment was a joke, while I would pull a trailer with the vette and have no issue with it I probably wouldn't pull a jetski.. not that the car couldn't handle it, and not that I'd back it into the water , it's just that I don't own a jetski.... My family uses those cool hitch handle things to put the ski's in the water or they just run the jetski trailer down the beach into the water and dump it off..

Back to the hitch/trailer thing.. </hijack>

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer and hitch- which one?

Old 03-03-2008, 05:46 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

What about a car hauler that can carry your Vette and spare tires, tools, etc.? That would make more sense than putting a hitch on a VETTE!
Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 PM
sdef
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Default re

Thanks for all the response.

A bit more info-

I own a 2003 AE Vette with no modifications.

I am not interested in buying a car trailer and new vehicle to take the car to the track. Way too much $ at the moment. The tracks I run at are Watkins Glen, Pocono, and in Canada which are all a good distance from my home in Boston. I also like driving the Vette to the track.

True Chevy says not to tow, but I believe they are referring to a substantial weight. They are probably also worried that people will forget there is a trailer behind the Vette and do something unwise on the road. Something to carry 4 tires is not a substantial weight. I also may carry a Thule hitch bike carrier with 2 bikes sometimes.

In regards to the hitch, I recall seeing one listed somewhere that required no drilling. If I did have to drill then I have the option of selling the car with or without the hitch, private or to the dealer for a new Vette.

If you have any comments on seats/harness, and race suits I have a posting requesting your opinions of which ones to buy or avoid.

Thanks again for everyones help.

sdef
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

I don't think there's a drill-less hitch available.

When you drill- you have to cut holes in order to put the combination reinforcing plates/nuts inside the metal bumper for the rear 2 bolts. OR- remove the rear bumper cover altogether and slide the reinforcing plates inside, hold them down with double sided tape so they don't move when you install the bolts (PS I know this is hard to follow but when you go to put the hitch on, you'll see what I mean)

You also have to enlarge 2 holes that were for friction fittings that held the rear facia in place.

Quick Reply: Trailer and hitch- which one?